PDA

View Full Version : Storing Coach for a few weeks during moderate Summer.....2004 Featherlite

MWSHAWJR
05-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks to all for the good advice I received from my previous posts. Seems to be no one better qualified to answer a Prevost question than an owner who has been there, done that! I am learning the hard way from people who learned the hard way. However, my knowledge is increasing to where I really feel much more confident. Thought I might get too old to drive a big coach before that happened, but thanks to experience and good advise, I'm making progress.

New question is how do I properly store my coach for weeks at a time and not harm it. I tried to find indoor storage with power but no one had the size for me. Thought about leaving it at an RV park, but just too expensive. I would like to park it in a secure lot outside that has no electricity available and is outside. Here in Montana, where I have a home, the summer temperatures are relatively moderate, and I am close enough to the storage area to check on the coach and even take it for a good drive or weekend overnight. I need to know what needs to be done to protect it as best I can while it is being stored. I appreciate your experienced advise. Mike Shaw

Joe Camper
05-13-2014, 09:52 PM
If U empty the fridge and turn off the inverters and U will in fact use it once every 2 weeks or so that is frequent enough to keep things up if u turn things off correctly.

Wouldn't go a month without 3 or 4 hr of generator or driving or both.

We all understand the drawbacks of no power when sitting. That's all I had for 6yr but I was in an out of it constantly.

So U will be emptying the fridge or trying to keep it stocked and on? That would be an issue for me I like to load up and keep it that way. Maybe get a garage fridge just for the bus fridge goods or something like that.

garyde
05-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Its not easy to turn off everything. There are parasitic draws off your batteries. Make certain your Generator battery is in good shape as that's what you will want to use first to re establish your batteries . To start your engine, you may need a charge depending on how long you store. You might consider a solar panel which would trickle charge the batteries . A charger for your chassis batteries , once your generator is running , you can charge the batteries.
Also, depending on weather and temperature , leave a couple of windows open a little for air circulation inside. If the storage is not secure, you might not be able to do this.

Gil_J
05-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Although Montana doesn't have much humidity I would suggest a few dessicant absorbent devices. These are common items in the boating world.

The batteries need to be protected from deep discharge. Turn everything off, especially the inverters. Turn off the 12 and 24 volt engine bay switches. As stated by Gary, there will still be some battery drain. The amount of drain is dependent on how your converter wired the coach. Some converters installed house battery cut-off switches. Even these,in many cases, won't turn everything off. I recommend that after you have everything off check the house battery voltage and come back in a few days and see how much the voltage has dropped.

If you allowed to run your generator and you have to leave your coach for more than 3 weeks or there about, turn on the Automatic Generator Start. In most cases this will mean you can't turn everything off. As an example, many newer AGS systems are tied to the inverter/chargers. So, they can't be isolated from the batteries as might be possible throughcut-off switches. Still make sure the inverter function is disabled if you have an AGS tied to your inverter/chargers.

Most tire manufactures recommend that your tires be elevated from the parking surface with something like blocks of wood. I assume this is to keep them out of puddling water.

I had to store my last coach as you are doing and never had any problems. I did visit the at least every couple weeks and did try to exercise the coach at least monthly with short drive and generator running.

MWSHAWJR
05-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the good advice. Feel pretty good about the situation now! Mike Shaw