PDA

View Full Version : Webasto DBW2010 repair

cthalfman
05-13-2014, 12:56 PM
I had been struggling a bit with my Webasto over the last year or so. It has always worked but produced a lot of excessive black smoke and soot.

I tried to have it serviced by a local coach shop (twice). (A POG sponsor so I will not mention any names). The first time the nozzle was replaced (I was told) and the fuel pressure was checked. It still smoked (black). I was told it would probably get better after the combustion chamber and exhaust cleared itself out. I took it back 6 months later as the smoke/soot did not go away. I was told that I probably needed to have the unit rebuilt (Motor, bearings, etc.). My concern was that I felt they were just guessing and did not offer (not sure they had the capability) to actually bench test the unit to identify precisely what it needed.

I recently found a guy named Roger Berke (he is mentioned in an earlier thread as a source for parts). I visited his webpage at http://www.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com
I filled out his contact form and later that day he called me to discuss my issue. He said for a $200 flat rate he would inspect and bench test my burner head and let me know what parts would be needed for the repair. He estimated that if it needed everything the other guy thought it did that it could run as high as $800 for parts. I agreed to send him the unit. He promptly emailed me a shipping label and detailed instructions on removing and packing my burner head. I sent the unit via UPS to him and he contacted me three days later to let me know he had received the unit and had already bench tested it. The problem was the nozzle (he asked me if it was new???). I expressed that was ALL that had been done to it. He said through bench testing that the motor was good and ran at proper RPM's. He suggested new bearings and some misc. seals (and a new nozzle??) that came to a total of $82. He said that my fuel pump was an older style that had some issues with leaking but that mine was working good and not leaking and he suggested that I keep the old one (Nice that he did not try to sell me parts I did not need). I had the unit back to me three days later for a grand total of $282 ($200 flat rate plus $82 parts). Roger paid the shipping both directions. I bolted the unit up today and it runs flawlessly without a hint of smoke (black or white).

If anybody is in need of Webasto repair or even basic service/tuneup I would highly recommend Roger. If you have a 10MM deep well socket, long ratchet extension and a screwdriver you can easily pull your burner head and have it serviced/repaired. I was pleased with the price but that was not the issue but more of a bonus. I really wanted somebody that had the ability to fully diagnose the issue and not just throw parts at it until it stopped smoking. I can hardly drive my coach to a local shop for $200 in fuel not to mention at least a day or two of my life getting there and back.

Gil_J
05-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Chris,

Thanks for sharing. It's always great to know where the experts are.