PDA

View Full Version : Awning

dale farley
04-20-2014, 05:28 PM
One of my Zip Dee awnings is over 23 feet long and it does not seem to have enough tension to roll in as smoothly as it should. Is there an easy way to tighten the tension on the awning? Has anyone done this before?

Pete
04-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Dale if I recall, you need about 22 or 23 turns on the spring when winding the spring from no tension at all. The best way I found was to take a step ladder about 6 or 8 ft tall to support the awning itself while winding the arm a few more turns. Pull the shorter section of the arm out of the support shaft and be careful when doing so, because the spring is pretty strong and can put a lump or so on your head. Once you have wound the spring to your satisfaction, be careful putting the short section back in because it will have a pretty good amount of tension on it.
Good Luck

Joe Camper
04-20-2014, 06:10 PM
It is 7 turns more than the length. I often see the awning "just barley or just barley not enough tension" with this formula by zip dee.

All Pete said is right. Only the left arm as U R looking at it will have the tension. Never tested on someone else's coach but if it were mine Id maybe go an extra turn or 2.

BE CARFUL it is not as dangerous as a garage door spring but same concept.

dale farley
04-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks Pete and Joe. I'll give it a try tomorrow if I get a chance.

lbriant
04-21-2014, 12:42 AM
Dale,
Your big awning isn't electric pneumatic ?

lbriant
04-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Dale,
Your big awning isn't electric pneumatic ?

dale farley
04-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Larry,

It is definitely manual.