PDA

View Full Version : The DD Series 60 'Recall'

Just Plain Jeff
01-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Been busy trying to find more information about the above subject which has been banted around.

Here's the scoop: On 2004 and perhaps some 05 engines, DD did a hurry-up deal and put some variable finned turbos on engines to meet EGR requirements. To put it nicely, these early turbos didn't meet expectations in the field. DD's position on this apparently, is that they are NOT doing a recall, as it would likely put them out of business. So, what they are doing is this: If you look at your bus and it has a stamped date of 2004 (Prevost uses the engine date as the chassis build date BTW) and you are experiencing a) loss of power and b) smoke, go to a DD dealer and you will quietly receive a new turbo if you promise not to tell, kinda.

They do not have this posted anywhere and are trying to keep the issue sub rosa. Lew would know what this means.

So there you go. It doesn't affect any other model years.

Have a nice day.

dreadnought
01-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Jeff, How did you find out about this?

Just Plain Jeff
01-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I hang out around with the mechanics and engineers at the converters. I pretend like I am supposed to be there and it is surprising what they will tell you.

Also, some of the CAD engineers at converters are the best source of information as they have to implement Prevost-related changes. I have learned to snort with the best of 'em.

snort, snort.