PDA

View Full Version : Replacing holding tank valves

Denny
04-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Several months ago someone, I think it was Joe Camper, posted photos about changing holding tank valves. I did many searches and cannot find the article. Can anyone help?

Two months ago I noticed the housing on the gray water tank was leaking on the tank side of the valve. I put a temporary band aid on using silicone and ordered two new valves and housing from Dupree Products for future use. I tore it apart today and saw that the black water tank had leaked at one time and someone put gobs of silicone on it. It was not leaking now but since I had the extra valve I'm going to play in the poop and change it also. Tomorrow I'm going to the plumbing supply house and get the ABS parts that I need prior to cutting the old off and replacing them. I want to review this prior post before taking the saw to the pipes. Thanks.

garyde
04-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Hi Denny. The first thing you want to do is to clean out your tank and flush it very well. If your outlet is on the side, there maybe a layer of
grunge imbedded on the bottom of the tank.
My 3 inch outlet had a rubber collar between the tank and the valve. Replace anything which is rubber.
Also, check and verify your tank is still in good shape. Mine was aluminum at it had dozens of pinhole leaks due to
corrosion.

lbriant
04-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Denny,
I have been using rid x septic tank treatment with a cup of sugar and it cleaned all my sensors off and cleaned my tanks well when using I let the tanks fill up before dumping my black and Grey tank for a few days s, as for a good rinse I have a power rinse switch for my black tank when I really rinse it and want to open the valves afterwards I always lean the bus towards the discharge and fill it up and dump several times then re level and it will be a dry job,
Good luck,

lbriant
04-16-2014, 02:09 AM
They also now make rid x for rv,s although I have used the household,

Gil_J
04-16-2014, 07:36 AM
If you have any leaks in the plastic tank flange try MarineTex.

Joe Camper
04-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Denny that wasn't me.

When I pulled my holding tank I was astonished to discover not even residue and not even in the corners. I figure that to the macerator toilet (The Growler. LOL) (ism)

Post some pics if U encounter anything odd.

Denny
04-16-2014, 08:58 AM
130811308013082Photo 2 shows temp patch on gray water valve housing prior to removing all panels hiding tanks and pipes.
Photo 3 shows previously repaired gray water outlet.
Photo 1 shows previously repaired black water repair with gobs of silicone. IMO a very sloppy repair didn't even clean residue from floor. A very "crappy" job.

It is my understanding that Royale would place the 3inch pipe into the tank flange with sealer and then clamp it as seen in the black water tank. That appears to be where the previous leak was; then siliconed when a leak developed and not cleaned up after the repair. I want to use the boot, as in the gray water repair, for the black water repair.