PDA

View Full Version : XL Windows

Joe Camper
03-24-2014, 06:16 PM
IMO all too often few if any have the ability to be opened.

When they can there R 2 styles. Some R sliders some R "awning" style that push open from the bottom.

If a guy wanted to pull a few that currently do not open and replace them with ones that do what r the options and the sources.

lbriant
03-26-2014, 12:40 AM
I have 5 awning windows on our bus, on our last little conversion project I had all new window treatments that run between the windows , the are suede with another design anyway any little bit of moisture would hit the window seal and wick black right up the suede, I had them install matching pillar blocks on the bottom to match the top and cure the problem.

lbriant
03-26-2014, 12:55 AM
OK I can post a picture but I don't know how to turn it .)
Anyway it's dark here the quality isn't very good but as you can see one shade is partially up because the window is open and you can see the matching pillar blocks I had installed at the bottom to save the suede and other material from water damage, I thought it was a rather good little fix and pretty inexpensive,

lbriant
03-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Sorry I hijacked your thread Joe !!!!

lbriant
03-26-2014, 01:00 AM
PS, for some reason it was 2 years before I realized I had one Dead head window behind my kitchen in the slide ?
The old brain never put together ? It looks normal from the outside and inside I just never counted them ?

Joe Camper
03-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Aint that something Larry I show that to folks who have had them for years without ever noticing.

I like the bedroom windows drivers side that r completely blocked off from seeing out by a beveled glass headboard. Complete with window awnings lol just wouldn't look right from outside to remove them.

Cant find the correct peninsula glass on searches for the sliders. I'm guessing the awning windows r prevo and big doe.

lbriant
03-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Joe,
How do you like my idea of putting pillar blocks at the bottom of the window coverings to avoid accidental water damage,,,,,, I passed it on to Featherlight a couple years ago,

Joe Camper
03-26-2014, 09:11 PM
I have to fix those other spots in the window that r suede. The left and right vertical pieces outside the end of the shades.

I dare say it................ staples and glue.

The living room window treatments lend themselves well to changes

ya gotta just leave it inside a climate controlled garage forever Larry that's all.

looks good

jetart
04-05-2014, 10:58 PM
If someone has an XL chasis that would be willing to snap a couple pictures from the inside and outside showing what these look like when they are open I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

jetart
05-20-2014, 05:33 PM
I talked with Prevost today. They have the windows - only $3100ea +hardware+gaskets. Seemed like a good deal so I picked up 6.

(ok, in all honesty I did not buy any, $24K is a little steep for my pocket book. I'll need to find another source........Anyone?)

Joe Camper
05-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Well now we know why most conversions only have a few.

Gil_J
05-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Another lessoned learned on how Prevost prices can be all over the map. Clearly, the price quoted for these windows is unreasonable. Given they are the sole source supplier (I'm guessing based on the price) that they can and will charge whatever they want. Of course, maybe it may be a pricing error and worth having them go back to their pricing folks and valid the price.

If the junk yards haven't caught on, it could be worth looking for some used glass.

dale farley
05-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Dan,

I made a couple pictures of the awning type windows. The rod that is attached to the window is hinged in a couple places to allow 2 different settings for the opening. I assume the curved glass as shown in the 2nd picture is their justification for the exorbitant price, but I hope I never have to replace one.

jetart
05-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the pictures Dale. Now I want a few even more...... Anybody know of any bus grave yards? I googled the glass and really have not come up with much.

Thanks,
Dan

dale farley
05-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Dan,

Here's a couple places that hves a few XL's with windows. https://sites.google.com/site/rvpartshouse/rv-s-parting-out

http://rvexteriorbodypanels.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/prevost-mci-busparts.pl?

jetart
05-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks Dale - I'll give them a call and see what I can find out.

Joe Camper
05-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Did U try looking into Peninsula glass? They make the slider type for prevo.

jetart
06-10-2014, 04:10 PM
I received a response from Peninsula Glass Co:

Sincerely,
Jeff Kemp, Director of Sales
jeff@motionwindows.com

Peninsula Glass Co. • Motion Windows
6005 NE 121st Avenue • Vancouver, WA 98682
ph. 360-944-4446 • fax 360-213-1274
www.boatwindows.com • www.rvwindows.com"