PDA

View Full Version : Postcards from Paradise

Joe Cannarozzi
01-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Good moring folks. Just a short note from Debbie and Joe to let you know we are enjoying ourselves. Today Sunny 78 slite breeze:)
This place so comfortable.
The tide flows in and out right through there. Its the back way out of the Marina. Every night with flashlights we see lobster, eel ,shrimp,octapus,horseshoe crab, barracuda, and abunch I dont know!
SO MUCH COLOR. Dale and Jan should give a class at a rally and we could all share better photos:o Ray?

MangoMike
01-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Joe,

I'm in cold, dreary, Michigan right now, so you're pixs look pretty damn good to me.

Keep 'em coming.

mm

Joe Cannarozzi
01-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Mango
I know your serious, so am I. If somewone who really new how to get the most out of a good camera the pics. would be incredible. I'm no photographer.

I got a question about my camera settings. In the menu it is set for picture size were it suggests to be the correct size for E-Z e-mailing. So many pixles by so many pixles or some such thing. Can I go to the next better quality, or bigger, and still get them to fit on Posts? And wouldnt they be better quality?
and Mike
There is a place down here called Mangrove-Mikes:p

These are at Loralies 82 mile marker. Great Chicken Quesadillas, great sunsets:)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-12-2007, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Cannarozzi;8918]Mango
Can I go to the next better quality, or bigger, and still get them to fit on Posts? And wouldnt they be better quality?

Joe, the Higher the Resolution ( pixs ) the better the picture, the Longer it takes to send out over the net. Some servers won't even allow Large Files such as picture files to come over the net if they are too big. :(

Your pictures look great just the way they are, keep them coming. Do you have a Digital Scrapbook on your computer for all of your pictures? If not look at this one. Its free and once you get used to it, it is fabulous for viewing slideshows, and printing on your printer. I use it all the time, and it is really a great scrapbook for digital photos. :cool: You can even hook your computer up to do presentations via big screens at the next POG Rally.

http://picasa.google.com/

Gary

MangoMike
01-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Joe,

Best picture size for posting is about 500 x 300 pixels. Any larger won't have any effect on the quality of photos, you'll just have a larger picture. Plus if it's too large it will just take too long to upload/download.

I don't know if you can fit a filter on the front of your camera, but for taking great scenic shots of that beautiful Keys sky an adjustable polaroid filter does wonders. Just twist the filter until the clouds pop bright white and the sky is nice and dark blue. Since it's polariod, as I recall, works best if the sun is at your side.

Pros Dale and Ben should pop in here for a couple of tips.

Mike

dalej
01-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Joe, without knowing if you are using a digital slr can't advise on the settings. as far as the size, we shoot most travel photos at 1 meg settings, then size them in photoshop for the one we send out over the web. 5x7x72 or 3.5x5x72 for forum postings.

The shot of Debbie, the use of a slight fill flash would have done the trick, slight not full flash.

Filters that are used on film camers can be replicated in photoshop, so if you do a lot of digital photos then photoshop elements express might be in order.

Remember if you use common software, you will get a lot of help, any others we can try.

ps..Jan loves to shoot photos thru the side window in the bus while we are traveling down the road, talk about a filter. you have to watch for glare from the other windows.
You are doing great, keep it up. The more you shoot the more you'll learn

Ray Davis
01-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Joe,

As I mentioned when we spoke on the phone (when you were having issues posting images), your pictures are great for web sized viewing, and for emailing to people to view on their screens.

But limiting yourself to these size images will prevent you from getting decent sized prints, should you ever want a print (especially something larger than 4x6 print).

A little background on that comment. Most monitors used on personal computers today run between 72 pixels per inch, up to around 96. This depends not only on the monitor itself, but on the screen resolution that you've setup to run.

If you're running 96 PPI, then if you put up an image you want to be about 5 inches across on the screen, you'll need just short of 500 pixels (as suggested by Mango). However, if you want to go to print, then you'll want at least 300 PPI, and perhaps as much as 720 PPI. Generally with most printers today, you can get a very reasonable print at 300 PPI. (Note, this is not to be confused with the DPI "dot's per inch" that the actual printer lays down on the page to print the 300 DPI pictures. That's generally MUCH higher)

Another approach to picture taking and stuff is to shoot at the highest resolution your camera will allow. Then download the picture to your computer, and if you're going to email, or post on the web, then you use a program to downsize your images to something on the order of 500x300 pixels, as suggested by Mango. I believe Dale mentioned PhotoShop Elements. This is a great program, and will handle that nicely. It's inexpensive, and is actually given away free with some cameras and printers when purchased new.

Another option is a great program I highly recommend, which is called Qimage. It's available from www.ddisoftware.com. The "pro" version runs $50, and comes with lifetime free upgrades. It's primary purpose is printing, however it can also be used to make web-sized versions of your high resolution pictures.

You are taking some great looking pictures, and it's too bad that some day when you get that GREAT shot, and want to make a 16x20 print for your living room (or bus!), that you won't be able to do it.

You're probably thinking though, I'll never print large prints. And perhaps that's true. It's something I love to do here. Here's a couple of quick shots of my printer I use. One of the prints with the balloons is from last years POG2 rally, when we went to the Balloon festival. The balloon picture is around 36x30, and the West Point picture on the table is 44 inches wide!

I guess I must be compensating for something, since I have a large dish on my coach, and a large printer in my work room at home! :eek:

Joe Cannarozzi
01-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Ray,The superior quality of those you put up is completly obvious.

I,ll read and reread your post and experiment. Thank you everyone else for the help as well.

Ray Davis
01-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Joe, your pictures are GREAT. Low light is always rough, especially for most new digital cameras. I'm just saying if you want to print, take bigger pictures. If you never print, keep everything as you're doing now. You've got some wonderful shots.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks Ray I hear ya.

I couldn't help admiring that West Point photo. Was that 1 graduating class? You or your child?

How good are my eyes? I see 8 by 16 by 32.
A large case of Cover and Alignment!

Ray Davis
01-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Good eyes Joe. That is from the 2006 Army/Navy game which was held last December 2nd. My oldest son is a cadet in his second year.

The picture was a panorama taken by another parent, and I was helping him in large prints to compare against a commercial printing outfit. He offered the prints as a fund raiser to support Operation Support Our Troups (OSOT). In was a fun adventure. He sold nearly 700 prints, and raised around $10,000 for the organization.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Do you think Debbie would mind I posted this:D

MangoMike
01-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Joe,

Now that's a great shot.

Sums it all up.

Mike

rmboies
01-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Neat photo Joe--wish we were there!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Don't think it matters now, what Debbi thinks ????? You may be sleeping on the beach, boy.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Those were MY feet:D

No really its all good.

dalej
01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Joe, who does the other feet belong to if those are your feet in the middle

Joe Cannarozzi
01-15-2007, 08:15 PM
That is some FUNNY STUFF.

Thank goodness the picture in or scrap book is the original. I think I'm gonna go check just to make sure:eek:

Joe Cannarozzi
01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Our annual theropy session in the Keys is once again over till next year. We are really hoping we may have convinced others to join next Year.

Took old 41 to Naples on Monday and overnighted in the Cracker Barrel in Naples to visit my "second parents" And if anyone is interested in seeing aligators there were DOZENS in the channel on the north side of 41. Debbie would not let me stop to take pics.:mad:

Yesterday night and tonight we are at Baileys in Braidenton.

We were able to get 1 night Thurs. at Disney.

We are going to hit Titsville Fri. and Sat. to keep Bill company, Jody has left him alone.

The beginning of next week we will be exploring St. Augustine, never been there and dont have reservations yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just Plain Jeff
01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
We've stayed at Stage Coach, which I believe is exit 318 off I-95 (since the renumbering) Give them a call first as they are pretty busy this time of the year. They are right off Rt 16, near the Outlet Malls...sorry...and just about 8 miles from the beaches and the old city of St. Augustine. It'll be cooler there this time of the year, but you can go to the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and the Fountain of Youth and look younger than JDUB. What could be a better way to end your vacation in Florida?