PDA

View Full Version : 75 amp red dash light

Larry Sturm
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I have a 1999 Marathon. The red 75 amp caution light came on and stays on when engine running. Volts are good, 28V with engine running. What do I do to fix this problem
Thanks

dale farley
02-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Larry, Where is this light located? Obviously, I don't have a Marathon, and I don't remember this light on the last Marathon I had.

Larry Sturm
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
The light is located with a group of caution lights on the left side of the dash by the drivers window.

dale farley
02-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Larry,

From what little I know about this, there should be an icon that shows in the light. It may be showing an engine, or one side of the coach, etc. What does yours show? Normally, if it is a solid red light with no icon, the light is located on the front of the dash instead of by the driver's window, so I'm assuming yours has an icon in the light indicating where the problem is located.

Larry Sturm
02-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Got if fixed. Ends up if you cycle the jump start switch it will reset the 75 amp caution light. The red light said 75 amp on it.
Thanks for your assistance.

Joe Camper
02-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Does anyone with a 90s marathon with Howard Active steering want to help with the controls.

Marathon did not use the standard Howard Controls they used their own. It has an illuminated square dash switch for on and off. Below that is a small black round knob with 4 selections unmarked and another small black round knob below that Im pretty sure that feels like air regulator pressure adjustment and they also put the pressure gauge for it right in the dash.

Figured out the on off and the regulator knob but what is the knob between them with 4 choices??

The operators manual shows the standard Howard controls couldn't find any other info in the books yet.

Ran into another bus I fell in love with today a Beautiful Marathon. And its an XL(40).....nothing better

Pete
02-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Joe, my coach has the Howard steering....I would like to find a hydrolic cylinder for it, or some one who can rebuild mine. It is an great system, but hard to find someone who can rebuild it. If you know of one, please let men know.

BenC
02-18-2014, 11:48 AM
The Red "75-amp" light is the alternator telltail light that the "relay output" on the alternator has no voltage. On a Marathon, the 75 is for the chassis alternator charging the Prevost start batteries, and the 270 is for charging the Marathon house batteries. These lights can occasionally come on if the batteries are fully charged and the alternator voltage regulator has effectively shut the alternator down.

Larry Sturm
02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Very interesting! Thanks