PDA

View Full Version : Tag axle Lift Chambers

Joe Camper
02-02-2014, 11:08 PM
I have been hit recently with a barrage of questions from folks regarding the tag axle lift chambers.

Seems like some people R spending entirely too much money. Lets see if My suggestions can save U a little doe.

There R a few different chambers themselves that have been used. I have seen 2 different cans for sure. 1 has a extended mounting half. Regardless they r all #36s

U do not need to change out the entire can in this location. ALMOST NEVER. All U need is a simple rubber #36 brake diaphragm for about 10 bucks. That would be for either type they R all #36 diaphragms.

I repeat about 10 bucks in parts is what is needed to service these chambers.

The only way U would have to replace the entire can is if it is rotted or rusted out. The location of that chamber up high out of the way every one ive ever seen is rock solid good.

Same thing for the steer axle the price on that chamber is also outrageous. If the metal is not rusted all U need is a simple #24 diaphragm for the front that's about 8 bucks. Take it apart put new diaphragm reassemble.

Another thing when getting chambers from other sources other than Prevo buyer beware because it is almost for sure the clevises and pins will not be the same dimensions as r what r on our prevo.

Hope this helps the budget.

Joe Camper
02-02-2014, 11:19 PM
When replacing these do this. After removing the can from the bus before taking the clamp loose and separating the 2 halves. With vice grips in hand pull the push rod all the way out collapsing the return spring and clamp the push rod with the vice grips right up next to the hole its coming out of to hold it there. Now when u take the clamp loose and separate the halves to get the diaphragm it will be easy as eating apple pie. And U will have plenty of money saved to put a couple scoops of ice cream on it too.

dale farley
02-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Great info Joe. I miss the pictures.

jetart
02-03-2014, 10:05 AM
mmmm - apple pie and ice cream. I'm going to put this on my list of required "shop supplies" when working on the bus!