PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Installation

dale farley
01-28-2014, 08:16 AM
I purchased an antenna to replace my bat-wing style one. I understand this style works good and has no moving parts. My question is, "What should I use to seal around the base after installation." I assume it should be something like Dicor self-leveling sealer?

NashXL
01-28-2014, 09:23 AM
12817Hi Dale,

If the picture helps from mine, it appears to be a black sealer. You could call Doug at Excaliber and ask what they used on mine. They also painted the antenna (along with the DuoTherm A/C covers to match the main body color).
These antennas work amazing. I pull in over 20 channels in a heavy duty garage pulled all the way up.

Sincerely,

Doug
NashXL

dale farley
01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Doug,

Looks like your entire top is well sealed. Glad to hear the antenna works so well. I rebuilt my last bat-wing antenna, and it still gave problems, so maybe this one will be trouble free.

garyde
01-28-2014, 11:03 PM
The self leveling is what I have been using for years. Stay away from the silicon sealers, they do not last.

Gil_J
01-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Dale, I bought an antenna like that specifically so I wouldn't have to drill any new holes in the roof. I haven't had a problem with this installation since buying the coach and, as you know, I've been almost everywhere. Here's a picture of the install.

dale farley
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Gil,

I didn't realize that was what you did. That makes perfect sense so I may do it myself. Thanks for the picture.

JIM KELLER
01-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Gil, I.m glad you posted that picture. I have seen it on your Bus but never understood how it was attached.

Denny
01-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all of the pictures. After the Parliament rally I had them upgrade my front and entertainment tvs. While at my daughters in Atlanta I had to use the local tv channels because the trees blocked satellite reception. It worked great but I did notice some problems and attribute that to my old antenna. So thanks for the info to help my future upgrade.

garyde
01-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Hi Gil. Can you tell me if yours in still being sold. I can not find it on Wineguards site nor Camping World. Also, is your multi directional, or do you move it around to get a signal. Additionally, is it a 35 mile unit or 50 mile unit. Thanks

Gil_J
01-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Gary,

Here's the link to this antena http://www.winegard.com/sensar/roadstar.php

The 3000 was not available when I bought the 1500. If it was I would have bought it as it's base looks the same as the 1500 and that base fits on the out mount. The 3000 says it's a 30+ mile antenna. These are omni directional (all directions at once).

dale farley
01-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Gil,

What did you do with the 12v section of the new one? I see I already have an amp in the line, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just use it instead of installing the new one.

dale farley
04-18-2014, 09:44 AM
I did a trial run to a nearby campground to test all the updates I've recently made to the bus including the new antenna. I am in a rather secluded location, and I could not pick up any local stations. The batwing has the microswitch to tell it when it is completely lowered and ready for travel. After a couple hours troubleshooting, I determined that when I removed the batwing, I taped the wires that went to the switch separately. My wiring diagrams verified that the former switch also triggered a relay to put 12v on my signal amplifier when the antenna was raised.. Tied the wires together, and all is well. Some wires need to be separated, others need to be shorted! Saves time if you make that determination up front.

Gil_J
04-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Great information. This may explain why there isn't a switch for the batwing antenna amp.