PDA

View Full Version : Service needed after sitting , 2004 Featherlite

MWSHAWJR
01-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Please advise. My bus has been sitting plugged in at LVM for about a year. I crank it occasionally and it runs fine as pretty do much all systems. My question is, what services do I need to have done to prepare the coach well for a cross country trip after this long idle period?
Thanks for any advice, Mike Shaw

Joe Camper
01-14-2014, 03:48 PM
A year is a long time but not too long IMHO

Hi Mike if it were mine I would refer back to the normal service that either has or has not been done. Do what hasn't been addressed and hit the road.

Just using it will be therapy for it. I can feel its anticipation for the road right through the computer. .

Exercise everything a FEW times, complete cycles, and check tires and fluids is what I would do.

Where r u off to?

Joe Camper
01-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Release the parking brakes without starting it to be sure there is no audible air leaks. When U R confident U hear none , step on the brake pedal and hold it and listen again. no noise is good news yer good to go.

Ya know folks we all should be doing this every time we go. What I just suggested is nothing more than a DOT pre trip brake inspection.

IMHO its the "service brake" leak that we will catch right off. Its the leak that happens only when U step on the brake and its audible. U will notice depending on the severity of the leak in the pedal.

By releasing the parking brake without starting it (with wheels blocked when prudent or necessary) And then listening before stepping on the brake pedal now U r listening for an emergency air leak not service air.

These R the ones that r harder to detect. They start small and slow.

This is the air that is containing the monster main spring back in the parking brake chambers.

If a emergency air leak begins the spring immediately compensates and begins to rebound towards engaging the emergency brakes.

Unless U have a really good ear U will not hear it right in the beginning when its very slight with the bus running.

What will happen is for me anyway is ill be diddy boppin down the road and begin to notice the air compressor cycle has become more frequent. WHY???? Pull over shut it off release the brakes and I guarantee U will hear air escaping. (a schnook would ignorantly continue on until the hub is smoking and they r out there)

That's emergency air. If U want to catch a maxi RIGHT AT THE POINT where it is just starting to leak ya gatta do it this way. Get in the habbit U WILL BE SAFER FOR IT

MWSHAWJR
01-15-2014, 12:52 PM
We are going back to visit friends and relatives in the South, primarily Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina. Thanks for the advice. Mike

MWSHAWJR
01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Great Advice!

dale farley
01-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Mine had been sitting for a whilee also. I have made two trips in it aand several unexpected things have popped up. Toilet seal leaking just enough to be aggravating, so I plan to replace today. I would definitely recommend a short trip before you make a long one.

Gil_J
01-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Things that can dry out would be your greatest concern. Given it was stored in Vegas, the local environment isn't very harsh so you could be fine. Exercise all pumps and valves and then look and listen for air or fluid leaks.

Keep in mind construction and farm equipment can sit for many months between uses without problems. So, be diligent but not fearful.

Todd
01-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Change your fuel filters fuel tends to gum up filters wont notice till you start to put a lot of fuel through at road speed