PDA

View Full Version : Microwaves

Just Plain Jeff
01-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Lew Said: (On the Invisible Chamois thread, good grief): Right in the middle of preparing our Sunday dinner the microwave/convection oven kept shutting down.

Rather than trying to run down the problem, I think the time has come to replace it. It was made in 1989, so do you agree?

I have looked up the combo oven on line and would like some of you guys to have some input for I would be remiss if I didn't ask the masterminds.

I presently have a Sharp Carousel Microwave/Convection and the bride uses it a lot. The measurements have been standard ever since the original one was put in. I located a GE at Home Depot for about $329. Do you foresee me having any problems with putting that in place of the sharp? Will the vent hook up the same? Would it hang the same way the original does? I could pay a lot more and am not afraid to if necessary. I have looked at the more expensive ones and there is very little difference in them. The wattages are more than the original. The original is 650 watt and the GE is 850.

Just a little help would be nice. Must act on it soon. Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We're more than just a little mad at Sharp right now. Put a mini-popcorn bag in on auto time and it melted (fire ensuing) the plastic drive wheel under the turntable. They wouldn't stand behind it and just got a bunch of blah-blah-blah out of them.

Anyway, what we found was that Sharp indeed is the industry leader in RV convection ovens. The GE appliances are of varying quality, selling their products under a bunch of different names and different quality levels.

The Sharp units we looked at had standard mounting brackets and for over-the-stove applications are interchangeable with standard dimensions; just a swap. Both electric and vent connections are on the dime.

Recommendation: Take out the inop unit and bring it with you to Lowe's or Home Depot and check it out before you lug it back to your bus. Less frustration.

You can pick up your new Moen while there and put it on Mango's plastic. Y'know, just like always.

Just Plain Jeff
01-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Mango added: Hi Lew,

The easiest way may be to pull the old one out, notice the mounting points, do some accurate measurements and head on down to Home Depot and compare with their units. Fewer surprises that way when you bring the new one home. You sure you don't have one hidden in the ACE bay?

While the units out have the bride fire up the camp stove for dinner

Mike
------------------------------------------------------------

On the Invisible Chamois thread.

Wow. Just wait until the Thread Police show up for CK.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Lew, There is now a standard mounting configuration in place. Prior to it instalation varied. I don't know what year it went into effect. You may luck out but even if you don't it is not a difficult task. You screw a plate on the back wall from which the unit hangs and then screw through the cabinet above to hold the front up and all firmly in place. The difficult part is the weight of the unit and hanging it on the plate etc., and not damaging the cabinets and such around it. Try to have someone there to be the third hand that is usually needed for a job like this. We put a GE, JVM1640WJ03 unit in in Aug. 05 and like it a lot. I chose to vent it into the room through a charcoal filter. This is optional, it could have been vented outdoors. The dim's are 30" W x15.75"Hx15.25"D. The units are heavy and you have to reach over a cabinet or cook-top and may need a short step ladder. This is one of those jobs that if your wife is standing over your shoulder instructing you while you work, you will wish you had paid the store $100.00 to install it. JIM :D

11-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Hello Jeff,

I recently purchased a 1999 Marathon, it is out in Coburg being upgraded now. We did som e research on micriwaves and ended up with the following based on Marathon's recommendations. Whirlpool GH6177XPS, stainless hence the "S" at the end fits into our coaches space, 30 3/8 W X 16 T X 14 3/8 D. Hopes this helps. The units sell for around $595 ??. Good luck

bill&jody
12-01-2007, 11:19 AM
you might like to take a look the GE advantium. if you roast or bake frequently, it is quite fast and very flexible. there are both 220 and 120vac versions. my bride can sing its praises better than i, but it is quite nice.

my only gripe about it is that there is no light inside while its nuking your food. but then, the light in our sharp is marginally brighter than a candle on the moon, so maybe its not that big an issue.

and if you need help, lew and mike kerley are experts.

wmm

Joe Cannarozzi
12-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Jeff started this thread on a lite hearted note and it was hijacked with all this seriousness:rolleyes:

We just replaced our Sharp, that has never worked, with a G-E that we found on Craigs list for 50 bucks. It's much newer has more features and is 1400 watts where the old one was only 1100. I think the light and exhaust fan was more important that the oven itself so 600 for a new one seemed a little unnecessary.

Was a little concerned that the 2000 inverter would have trouble with the bigger draw while other things were on line with it but an initial test proved O/K.

One important thing I learned is when replacing these be sure to check if when opening the door that it pivots in a manner that does not widen the width measurement. If the cabinet next to it is deeper than the micro it can restrict the door from opening.

lewpopp
12-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Our biggest problem in getting a microwave was finding someone who had one in stock. They all advertised them but when it came down to delivery they didn't have that one in stock. We finally got one out of California, it was a Sharp, the same as before. Afew, very minor adjustments had to be made.

I was about to throw out the old bulbes from the old one and I tried one for giggles. It worked and lit up the work area with much more brightness.

Craigs List? did you purchase a discard from someone in a plastic coach?

Joe Cannarozzi
12-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Not

I don't think you'll find one like this, in one of those.

I got it out of a town home on Clark and Belmont up in the city.

Deb and I went up and had to remove it right off the kitchen wall for a young lady who was updating.:p

You guys looking for tools should try Craigs list. The potential savings is huge.