PDA

View Full Version : Beeping Sound

dale farley
12-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I turned off all the switches for power in my side engine compartment. When I went to the front of the bus, I heard a low beeping tone. I have not been able to locate it or determine what it is. I have all the power back on, but I still have the beeping. It seems to be coming from under dash between the front door and the driver seat. Don't think it is the alarm system, because I have the breaker turned off. Any suggestions?

Joe Camper
12-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Did U spray down the engine and get the fire sensor wet?

Is it a very soft and quiet kind of a beep? That sensor is like that.

garyde
12-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Hi Dale. My CB was making similar noise. There are a couple of things connected directly to batteries w/o cut off switches. One is the DDEC , Generator , and CB.

lbriant
12-31-2013, 12:06 AM
Mine makes that noise when the Tag is lifted ? You didn't forget to drop it did you, or maybe if the air is down and the power is down somehow it is getting a false reading ?

dale farley
12-31-2013, 03:37 AM
I didn't lift the tag, and I checked around the CB. The sound is coming from the dash area very close to the entrance door.

Joe, I did rinse the engine, and I tried to avoid any electrical. I have always done this periodically before and don't remember a beeping. I didn't even know we had a fire sensor in the engine compartment. Where is it located and what does it look like?

JIM KELLER
12-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Dale, take that front panel off and look behind it. They are not permanently mounted because there are to many components in there that need service. Remember on your Country Coach it was a matter of six screws and the whole panel came off. Don't try to remove the handrail if there is one attached since it is usually mounted to the panel and not a structural part. The handrail provides a good handle to lift the panel off. The area you refer to is where the Ford Keyless alarm is mounted.

PS And what in the world are you doing posting at 3:37 in the morning !

dale farley
12-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Jim, I may have to resort to doing something "sensible" like that.

Joe Camper
12-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Dale it is white slightly bigger than a hockey puck mounted to the ceiling of the engine bay. Was it a very faint beep and has it gone away now on its own? Thats prob it.

pwf252
12-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Gentlemen,
As Jim asked what you doing posting at 3:30AM.
And then he's posting at 6:30 the following morning!!!!
Either Jamie is a slave driver requiring poor Dale to monitor the site 24/7 or this beeping sound is really disturbing him past the point of sanity.

Gil_J
12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Dale, based on you cleaning the engine bay and where the sound is coming from, I'm with Joe. It's likely the useless heat sensors. Useless, because the alarm is way to quiet to be effective.

dale farley
12-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Let's blame my late/early hours on Jamie. Surely, it can't be my fault! Maybe my parents are to blame?

I'm thinking it might be the fire sensor, but I would hate to know I had to depend on that small irritating beep to alert me to an engine fire. It is still beeping. Can I take a hair dryer or heat gun and dry the sensor? It is very cool and damp here so, if I got it wet, it is probably still wet.

JIM KELLER
12-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Gentlemen,
As Jim asked what you doing posting at 3:30AM.
And then he's posting at 6:30 the following morning!!!!
Either Jamie is a slave driver requiring poor Dale to monitor the site 24/7 or this beeping sound is really disturbing him past the point of sanity.

Some of us still have to get up and go to work every day.

rfoster
12-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Dale: Its the fire alarm. On my 97 once upon a time I washed the engine compartment and got the sensor wet and set off the very weak alarm inside the dash. After the sensor dried out - all was well. It took overnight for it to dry out so park the bus where you can't hear it and you will be fine.

dale farley
12-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Jim,
I've been working since early this morning. I keep going outside, but I keep coming back in because it is still only 45 degrees.

Roger,
That sounds like a plan.

ronwalker
12-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Dale, On my coach, the heart of the fire detection system is located in the rear electronics day. Identify it by looking for a flashing red light. One of your sensors is probably going bad. Count the flashes. The number of flashes indicates which sensor is activated. Unplug that sensor, put one on your Prevost Parts order list, go back to bed and get some sleep.

dale farley
01-01-2014, 12:02 AM
I've been doing other things today, so I just ignore the beeping every time I go in or near the front of the bus. I'll increase the priority of the beeper a little later this week. I was going to pull off the panel as Jim suggested, but I don't see any screws holding it on. Not really sure how it comes off.

dale farley
01-02-2014, 07:11 AM
I forgot to mention it yesterday, but my beeping stopped on its own.

Joe Camper
01-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Well its time to wash the engine again

dale farley
01-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Maybe I'll let Paulette do it with a rag and bucket next time.

JIM KELLER
01-03-2014, 06:48 AM
I sort of hate to see this problem resolve itself. 252 Views in 4 days !

dale farley
04-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Well, I finally found out what the beeping sound was. The bus has 5 phones in it as an intercom system. While in the bedroom trying to figure out where the noise was coming from I knocked the phone and it stopped. For some reason it was in an awkward position that set off the beeping. At least, I now know what it is and how to stop it.

garyde
04-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Hi Dale. Have you been listening to that beeping for 3 months?

lbriant
04-16-2014, 01:41 AM
No wonder no one could get a hold of you your phone was off the hook :o

dale farley
04-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Gary,

I don't know what, but something would cause it to start, and then something would cause it to stop. Although, it hasn't been on all the time, it did seem like it was. I called Paulette from the front of the bus yesterday and told her I had found the problem. I really don't know how you can effectively communicate from one end of the bus to the other without an intercom?!!! I suppose the one in the bay might come in handy.