PDA

View Full Version : General Helpful Info

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 07:51 PM

Here R the size plastic air line U will find.

From Left to right 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 07:56 PM

The lions share of Pipe thread sizes R these.

1/8in 1/4in 3/8 and 1/2in

With those 5 plastic sizes combined with these 4 pipe It covers the entire bus short of the bitty little lines to the brake tank pressure gauges

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Here is a common wrong change.

These R rubber brake hose ends. The one on the left is 3/8 pipe to 3/8 rubber and common and standard in the trucking industry. The right one is 1/2 by 1/2 and is what our buses have. I often see 3/8 replacements they fit but r wrong. Only a trained eye will catch this.

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 08:07 PM

Here is a fitting for 1/2 in rubber like we have but 3/8 pipe end and a 3/8 to 1/2 pipe adaptor added. NO GOOD either Mr Bus Driver. Do it right get the bad stuff out. Older chassis that were serviced at truck garages R prone to these discoveries.

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Here is the 3 position Norgren and the correct brass almost exactly as it is on just about all our "stuff" (slight variation from the left to right and year to year but this is pic is very prevelant ). This would be your left rear or right rear 3 position valve and how its plumbed.

Only 3 of 5 ports on the main body R used the other 2 get plugs.

The signals to it R the smaller fittings left and right they R 1/8in mail pipe to 1/4 plastic fitting in misc configurations straight, 90 and branch T.

The main ports R 3/8 pipe to 3/8 plastic

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Here is our 2 position norgren and the way it is plumbed when it is being used between the drive and tag bags.

Only 1 signal here a 2 position valve either its energized or its resting. When its resting air passes thru but when its energized it is closed and the air that needs to be exhausted out the tag bag for its lift chamber to work and lift comes out the port with the short 1/4 plastic tail.

The 3/8 fitting pointing left is to the drive axle bag the fitting out the other side is going to the tag bag. Signal is 1/8 pipe by 14 plastic. main ports R 3/8 pipe by 3/8 plastic.

Have U ever seen this info anywhere else.

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 08:34 PM

I have found these on 2000 H chassis only seen this twice not to say there aren't others OR this was only a 1 year thing I do not know.

Anyway the right valve is what U have on the rear suspension. You DO have the 3 position Norgren BUT the smaller 2 position valve between the axles looks like this.

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 08:41 PM

The signal is on top and it is the same 1/8 pipe by 14 plastic as the norgren

The exhaust port is this porous rock instead of a short plastic tail on the norgren.

Then there R 2 ports in and out but r smaller so fittings R 1/4 pipe to 3/8 plastic verses 3/8 by 3/8 on the norgrens.

Who loves U baby

lbriant
12-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Joe I wish you were camping next to me for a couple months, :cool:
You seem like you know your way around an air leak .)
I also seem to have a problem , My HWH auto leveling system says its level but its not its always low on the right and high in the front and it shows it on the bubble too ? can that be adjusted.

Gil_J
12-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Larry, you just need to find the HWH level sensor and adjust it. Some converters put them on the floor under the lowest shelf or drawer of a cabinet, others, like CC, put them on the ceiling in the bay behind the generator, and yet others put them...well, where ever they put them. Easy adjustment once found.

jbchevy3
12-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Got a question, on the fittings with the sealer already applied, the pink/red stuff. Do ya'll find that it is adequate, or do you apply pipe sealant on top of it like I do? Just wondering, I've always been scared to try it by itself.

Joe Camper
12-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I absolutly use either dope or tape. Additionally when going into the aluminum body of a norgren I find the red stuff makes the fitting mar the aluminum threads so I remove it if it does. I also find it difficult to line the fittings up without being too tight. For example u get the fitting where it needs to point but its still too loose needs 1more turn and that last turn becomes almost impossible without damage. Get rid of the red ans then teflon tape or dope only and its much happier

normancasson
12-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Joe- as always thats great information that may not come in handy today but sometime in the future it will affect all of us. Just wondering how many fittings of what size should I keep on the bus?

jbchevy3
12-31-2013, 08:01 PM
I prefer the pipe sealant over tape. However, the tape does act more as a lubricant. I'm becoming an expert on fittings, I've changed many here lately.

Joe Camper
12-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Holy Moly Batman I got Norm to post up and that takes some doin. IMO every minute I spent composing has now been justified.

Happy new Year Norm. KING of the Lurkers:rolleyes:

Norm U do not have footballs so all the bags on your bus r fed with 3/8 plastic. All the norgrens fittings r 3/8 pipe to 3/8 plastic.

Ride height valves fittings r 1/4 pipe to3/8 plastic. All signal air lines r 1/4 in plastic. all the bag threads r 1/2in pipe.

Norm Unless U have 500 bucks invested into very specifically configured fittings u will spend many lewbucks to find the first time U need a fitting U probably aint got the right one still.

lbriant
01-01-2014, 08:40 PM
That's alway been my experience, And right when I get tired of hauling something around for two or three years and never use it then I finally throw it away,
It never fails I need it within the very next week :confused:

Gil_J
01-02-2014, 09:08 AM
That's alway been my experience, And right when I get tired of hauling something around for two or three years and never use it then I finally throw it away,
It never fails I need it within the very next week :confused:

So true. My spares are now only belts 24V relay, and fluids.

Joe Camper
03-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Check this out girls and boys. If U follow my DIY stuff U will know I have often suggested that some level low preforms way better than others.

On some buses it is even evident from side to side left responds way quicker than right.

Look at what I pulled off a bus recently.

Both of these fittings r the same 3/8 pipe to 3/8 compression. Look at the huge difference in the inside diameter.

Aint that something. Went looking at other old stuff check these out all the same fitting 3/8 by 3/8

Gil_J
03-19-2014, 07:31 AM
More great information from the master. Joe the fitting on the right with the smallest passage must have been for a line that the flow rate needed to be limited.

Joe Camper
03-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Gill I must confess that fitting is in there for the shock factor Im fairly confident it did not come off someone's bus but the other 2 were off the same bus.

Im also real sure the other one with the medium ID answers and confirms differing performance on level low I know I experience from bus to bus.

dale farley
04-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Joe,

I need to do some experimenting with my converter installed air system. I have numerous air operated components, i.e., doors, plumbing valves, sliding table, locks, etc. I am trying to find a good source to buy the 1/4 od connectors. I don't know who is the best source. Are the plastic plugs what I need to terminate a line if I want to cut it off? I found this site that sells Parker fittings, but I don't know if they are good or bad: http://www.zorotools.com/g/00124138/k-G4557883?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kpid=G4557883&gclid=CLbT5ufx770CFaVQOgodPjwA7Q

Joe Camper
04-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Dale the OD of the plastic is the size. on our buses we have 1/8 (dash air gauges and H3 back up camera door) 1/4 (most converter stuff) 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 (suspension, brakes)

In the photo is a push-in style OK (new) if in a internal spot. I would not ever use them. I spend a great deal of time driving to folks to pull all of them off the bus.

1/4 is probably what U R after.

The coupler U posted I would never use, either push in like the picture or the "old insert and collar fittings" . That coupler is for "patching" and if U replace the entire line instead your bus will be a happier camper every time. I realize sometimes U just cannot then use the old style not push in.

Parker is good. I have as large a collection of them with me on the truck just about as complete and in bulk as any supplier.

Tell me what U need Ill send them or I will call Precision hose in Lansing Il and place an order for u that u can then pay with a phone call.

We can do that right here in the post or U can call me either way. Or just run with this info.

708 243 7871

dale farley
04-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Joe, I found some locally that will work for my troubleshooting project. Thanks for the offer to help.