PDA

View Full Version : Does the detroit Series 60 have an electric -plug in block heater

NashXL
12-10-2013, 06:43 PM
12/10

Hi All. As a follow-up to my winterizing yesterday, I was probably close once the garage was opened for a bit to getting the coach to start easily. Is there a plug in block heater ala Mercedes or Cummins that can stay hooked up and keep the block at a usable temp? We always had one on all class C, B and two A's (that had Cummins). I did not see one on quick inspection of both side door and the rear doors and was wondering. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Doug
NashXL

1999 CC XL

dale farley
12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Doug,

My 99 CC had one. It was located inside the same door as the air filter, and plugged in overhead. Gil can give you the exact location.

Gil_J
12-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Dale, that's news to me. I've never noticed a 120V plug dangling back there. I'll have to look. Another day, another learning lesson.

Doug, you can use the Webasto to preheat the engine. With the central heat control on and the bay thermostat set to a temperature that activates the Webasto will pre heat the engine.

garyde
12-10-2013, 10:08 PM
I have a plug for this and a separate circuit breaker switch in the Panel.

dale farley
12-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Gil,

I may be nuts, but I thought there was a receptacle on the ceiling of the compartment. I was wrong at least once before, so I may be thinking about my 93 Marathon.

jbchevy3
12-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Mine has one mounted below air cleaner in engine bay.

Coloradobus
12-11-2013, 12:52 AM
You might have a Moulon switch on drivers side dash identified as "block heater."

JIM KELLER
12-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Correct. The row of switches above the Drivers side window has one labeled " Block Heat. "

You might have a Moulon switch on drivers side dash identified as "block heater."

Gil_J
12-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Dale, you were right. I turned on the "Block Heater" switch and saw the current increase. So, there's a block heater back there somewhere.

NashXL
12-11-2013, 08:15 AM
12/11

Gil,
I would if I could but not allowed to exhaust into the garage at all and was trying not to break any rules and find myself the electric option if there is one. I'll look around the engine bay around the filter well. I did not see a button/switch in the cockpit area but I'll look again. Thanks all.
Doug

dale farley
12-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Doug,

You should have that switch on the dash. Hopefully, you just overlooked it.

Joe Camper
12-11-2013, 10:26 AM
My block heat switch turned on or off the receptacle in the engine bay the block heater was plugged into. If U have a switch for it on the dash be sure it is plugged in in the engine bay. Some R hard wired others R plugged into a outlet in the engine compartment. Still others yet R plugged into a outlet controlled by a switch. If U start from the other direction and plug in in the engine bay be sure the breaker and or switch in the cockpit it on for the outlet.

U can leave the b;lock heat on for a long time without worry I used to leave my truck plugged in over an entire weekend and longer. Otherwise 4 hr prior is usually enough for an easy start all the way down to temps in the single figures.

lbriant
12-11-2013, 09:31 PM
I have a plug in the back of my engine compartment upper right side for the Block heater then I Have at least one button in the bathroom marked Block heater I was not aware you had to plug the plug in the back in, But I have never had to use it,
If you are using your aqua hot wouldn't that circulate through your motor on cold nights ?

garyde
12-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Yes, the Webasto Heat works that way. The coolant goes thru the engine, hot water heater, and the heating coils.