PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

Gil_J
12-04-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm looking at insurance rates and carriers and discovered that agreed value policies can be twice the rate as a conventional policy. My concern with a traditional policy is what the insurance adjuster will use as the market value for an older coach. As far as I know, converted coaches aren't in any NADA or other "book". So, what will they base the value on? They do ask what you paid for the coach. That only sets the high value mark and most certainly won't be anything near what you would get if it was totaled. Back in my street rod days I wouldn't consider anything but agreed value otherwise I would get the pennies a 1929 Ford or 1950 Studebaker truck was worth. Can the same be said about converted Prevost shells?

How many have traditional coverage versus agreed value policies? That would be a good poll.

I also discovered that at least one quote came from a Nationwide affiliate company once known as Victoria and now Titan. This is a Nationwide's affiliate that underwrites high risk drivers and possibly high risk vehicles. Although Nationwide is A+ rated, I'm a bit concerned with going to their high risk affiliate. I currently have GEICO and don't believe they underwrite RV policies themselves, although it's not obvious they don't. I do know you have RV specific agents and that the policy can't be modified on-line like their auto policies. I just wonder how many big name insurers there are that insure Prevost conversions.

jbchevy3
12-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Gil,
I have mine through State Farm. My local agent who has my home, Cars, and Harley. I've been with them a long time, with Street Rods, and even my Stacker trailer. They have been competitive so far.

dmatz
12-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I had progressive with agreed value and an appraisal letter. It was through Gilbert RV insurance in fl was the broker.

garyde
12-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Although the price of Prevosts have dropped considerably in the last 4 to 5 years, my insurance Company had no issue on agreed value.
I basically took an average of Price on what is for sale on the market and added 100K.