PDA

View Full Version : Tire inflators

jello_jeep
01-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey ya'll .. I got my first experience with having to air up on the road. I had heard from Steve Bennet over at California Coach about the little device that doubles air pressure, and had ordered one, but not had time to get it all installed in the bus. I have also read posts here that they are standard equipment on some conversions.

When I pulled out of Havasu last week, I checked air pressure and was down. Marathon told me to run 125/120/95 for pressure and I was 5 to 12 pounds low here and there.

I am aware of the school of thought in regards to weighing each axel and all, but have not had the chance to do that.

I get about 120 psi indicated in my air system and quickly found out that fact does not mean your are going to be able to shove 120 pounds in a tire.

So off to Lowes for some air fittings, and I didn't install it, but just got a piece of line and plugged the device into to bus aux air, then the air line behind it. The little sucker sounds like a mini steam engine when you run it, but it aired me up with no problems, so happy to have it on board.

Has anyone seen an air chuck, that would allow you to lock the chuck on the stem for the inner duals (the backwards facing stem). I got seriously tired of holding my standard inflator backwards against that puppy whilst airing up..

I looked on milton's site and although they call it locking, I didn't see a clip like on their standard 1/4" air chuck that holds it on while you let the air flow. :confused:

Thanks!

Joe Cannarozzi
01-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Hit a truck stop Warren probably get ont there unless there sold out.

Orren Zook
01-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Jeep,

The one you are looking for is a Milton S986 and should sell for around $15, it does not have a clip to lock but instead has grooves (like threads) on the inside surface that will hold it on the valve stem.

jello_jeep
01-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks Orin.

Some folks have asked the model number of the booster regulator mentioned.

It is an SMC NVBA1110-T02

I got mine at Poweraire.com

You can get a muffler for it, and indicators for both incoming pressure and outgoing pressure (however they are not in PSI, they are in metrics)

You can add the other goodies and see how it changes the part number here

http://www.smcetech.com/CC_host/pages/custom/templates/smc_v2/prodtree_product_2.cfm?cc_nvl=((CC,smc,A_E,6022%24 ))

If memory serves me right, it was about 250 Mangobucks without the gauges. You may also elect to get a filter for the machine, it will likely run better longer.

merle&louise
01-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Warren,

I love my air doubler (sounds like the we have the same unit). It allows me to fine tune my tire pressure no matter where I am. I have also used it to air up my toad tire once when it developed a slow leak; and rather than change it on the side of the road (dangerous) I was able to limp in to a town with a tire service and have them fix it.

I had mentioned this device on a previous thread, but it didn't get much interest. Someone said that you could adjust the diesel engine's air compressor up so that it would air up a tire. That sounds like the least expensive way to do it, but since I have the "air doubler" I just use it.

rfoster
01-10-2007, 12:57 PM
As our number one Poster Jon had already given us a heads up - Yesterday he proved himself right on the money again. The air valve extensions of my coach- on the inside rear of the duals are ready to break because of the centrifugal force. The valve has been slung into my centramatic balancers. Photos for your viewing pleasure. I have tried to illustrate the depth of the cut by comparison to a ball point pen in the photo. Check yours today.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I will add to what Roger posted. Both our coaches had the little rubber grommet that slips into the hole in the outer wheel to prevent the valve stem extension from both flexing and wearing through. Both our valve stem extensions when the bus was at rest were coming right through the center of the hole and were not rubbing on anything, but on his and my valve stem extensions the centrifugal force from the spinning wheels is enough to bend the valve stems until they touched and wore on my rims or Roger's Centrimatic wheel balancers.

Like mine his was almost worn through.

So for those of you that insist on the ease of using valve stem extensions, at the very least inspect them often and make certain you use something in the outer wheel hole to minimize the flex and provide support. It will not stop the problem from occurring, but it may minimize the damage both of us encountered.

jello_jeep
01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes they are handy little devices indeed! I am loving mine already, and am debating about a permanent mount in the forward shoe box compartment, or just mounting it all up to a board or something so I could use it for other things besides the bus..

Also nice posts on the valve stem extensions, good food for thought. I will have to check mine.