PDA

View Full Version : No shore power to coach

ToyMan
11-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Shore power to the coach disappeared tonight. Open bay one and something was clicking very loudly.
Then a relay on my Allen Bradley computer started arcing inside. I replaced the relay and it behaved normally. Still no shore power.

I then checked the plug and the black wire had melted and came loose from the connector. Apparently it got hot enough to fuse itself to the common (white) wire. However, there was no short between the white and black wire as only the exterior coating had merely stuck together).

Replaced plug but still not getting shore power to the coach. Fired up the generator and that gives me AC power.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I did verify that power was at the box where I plugged into.

Joe Camper
11-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Sounds like u had a loose conection. Thats the resistance that created the heat. now your auto transfer switch is stuck in generator. U R on the right path go further.

garyde
11-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Once you repaired your receptacle, your breaker panel should indicate if your on shore or generator power.
If it indicates no shore power, make sure the switch is on for the shore power cord.
If all looks ok and it still does not turn on, check to see if the transfer switch is properly switching between shore and generator.
This requires a volt tester and caution. You should get a reading of 240 volt between the two phases, and 120 volt to neutral and/or ground.

ToyMan
11-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Checked this morning and when the generator is running there is power to the 70 AMP shore power breaker but when the generator shuts off there is no power to the breaker.

Any ideas where the transfer switch is?

JIM KELLER
11-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Sorry Ron, can't help with this one.

garyde
11-16-2013, 10:11 PM
My Transfer switch is in the driver side first bay. Its in a large Chrome Box with a switch on the outside which indicates Port or Starboard cord connection and a 2 pole circuit breaker on the outside of the box.

Joe Camper
11-17-2013, 10:20 AM
U mentioned replacing a relay. Was it large and orange and in a panel with a second one? That may be your switch. Shoot if it were mine and I needed that fix I'd call Liberty in north Chicago they will lead u right to the problem.

Joe Camper
11-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I kinda remember a similar situation and was told to switch the position swap the 2 Orange relays and then no power was present out of the gen and had the failure verification. Don't quote this responce call Liberty don't fret u r learning and also becoming a better tech. Anybody keep one of these long enough can not avoid becoming a way better tech. Let us know the fix when u get there.

ToyMan
11-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Problem solved. When I replaced the relay on the Allen Bradley computer, I bent one of the micro-pins on the relay thus making the contactor inoperative.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and ideas.

Ron

JIM KELLER
11-27-2013, 06:41 AM
I'll bet that one was hard to track down.

Gil_J
11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Ron, I'm curious what that relay was controlling. I would have thought domestic power, but seeing all worked fine off of the generator, it must have some other function.

I'm glad to hear all is back to normal.

ToyMan
11-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Jim,
Yes it was. The relays have 5 mini-pins and if they are not perfectly straight when plugging them into the tiny holes, they get bent.

I didn't mention this earlier but I used a pencil to hold the contactor shut. On the left side of the contactor is a plastic assembly that moves in sync with the contactor. I pressed the black button in the center of the contactor and then wedged a pencil between the plastic piece and the housing. The black button is pulled in when the contactor is engaged. If anyone ever has to do this, you must remove the pencil (or whatever you use) before starting the generator. Failing to do so could cause power to back feed into the 50 amp plug. Not good.
Ron