PDA

View Full Version : Water Softeners !!!

lbriant
11-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Hey everyone sorry I haven't been on for awhile, worked on selling our lake home all summer and sealed the deal right before we we headed south for the Islander resort in lake Havasu City AZ,
So we are officially Full Timers !!!! Yeaaaa

Anyway I was wanting some input water softeners they rent the tall metal ones here $35 a month or so, but I was wondering about buying my own, my neighbor down here last year had one it was a blue bottle looking thing that ran off Morton table salt well he ditched it this year and is renting he said it used way more salt and was a pain the the butt?? I have seen guys fighting other ones square and light brown hoses coming off everywhere and the seem to spend allot of time with them, Is there a real good one out there for traveling even if we spend a little more money on the investment :confused:
Any opinions greatly appreciated !!!

BrianE
11-14-2013, 01:01 AM
If you have the bay space the Kinetico model 50 works very well. It can be adjusted so the water isn't slippery soft.

MLD
11-14-2013, 02:12 PM
I have been using a Flow-Pur RV-Pro 10,000 for the past year and am quite happy with it. Uses table salt and is relatively easy to regenerate in about 30 minutes. I am single and with my normal water usage I regenerate about every 21 days which is about what they advertise. I paid $275 for the unit on line. Only issue I has was the plastic green Y fitting on the outlet side broke from all the in and out of the storage bay when moving around a lot. Picked up a stronger brass Y and glued the regeneration outlet restrictor into the new Y, no issues since. I permently mounted a sediment filter on the inlet side of the softener as the water at many campgrounds / RV resorts is well water and has lots of minerals. I replace the filter carterage every time I regenerate which really extends the life of the filters in the coach.

gmcbuffalo
11-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Mld are you saying you replace salt and filters every 21 day. That could be expensive.

MLD
11-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Two containers of table salt @ $0.49 each. 5 micron filter cartridge purchased in bulk on line at under $5.00 each so total cost to regenerate is $1.00 every 21 days or $6.00 if you want to change the filter that often. The pre-filter extends the life of the expensive filter canister and the cartridge filter in the coach. Only change these filters once a year with the pre-filter prior to the water softener.

gmcbuffalo
11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
What pre filter are you using?

lbriant
11-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Very interesting set up ? good info, I will check that option out, My neighbor and his wife ended up having to regenerate way more than advertised, Probably depends on dishwashers or laundry I don't use either the wife just takes the clothes up to the laundromat and does them all at once, That way after they dry she don't have to untie them .)