PDA

View Full Version : Fuel odor in bus

jello_jeep
01-04-2007, 08:36 PM
I have noticed an intermittent diesel odor in my bus. Usually present when it has been closed up for a time, goes away when opened up for awhile, but just seems to come and go for reasons unknown?

I thought there was some stray drips in the gen bay, but opening it up, I don't smell a thing?

I only have a single starboard fill tube, and it and the vent look ok?

What is the verdict oh noble bus gurus ? :confused:

garyde
01-05-2007, 12:24 AM
I had a similar Diesel Smell in my other Coach. It seemed to be coming up from the Plumbing Bay . The plumbing bay was supposed to be sealed but I found it was not, so it was getting Air from various other bays under the Coach. So, I figured sealing all openings going up thru the floor had not been done and I sealed as many as I could see. That lessened the smell quite a bit.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-05-2007, 07:18 AM
JJ,

This is off the wall, but is there a path from the fill point (where the bottom of that area catches a little of the drips and overflow) to the interior of the coach? That is a long shot.

I have numerous openings from the interior to the exterior that are potential paths for odors. My inverters are under the bed, and there is a duct to the exterior near the Webasto where the external fans are located.

We have a duct from the dryer vent to the rear wheel well.

If you have a dry "P" trap (non use and evaporation will lead to that) the tank odors can enter the coach and on occasion they might seem like diesel odors. When you don't use the coach for a while the shower, sinks, and washer could all be entry points.

truk4u
01-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Jeep,

Assuming you don't have any leaks, maybe the fuel tank vent line is causing you a problem. I think I remember removing a panel somewhere on the starboard side and you could access the top of the fuel tank.

jello_jeep
01-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys, when I get it back out of hock from Mira Loma, I will look into those.

I don't think there is a path from dripping fuel at the filler neck, but good thinking. Also does not necessarily change after fueling.. Good thought though.

Seems before I was completely aware of the problem, I do remember smelling a similar odor in the plumbing bay (port) but thought I was losing it, as I didn't know why that odor, would be in that bay..

I have used all the appliances, so p traps should be full.. good thought though! And I will check the vent tube.

It is most annoying!

Loc
01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Warren

We had a diesel odor that was only bad in the bathroom. It turned out to be a very small leak in a fuel line to one of the Espar heaters. You may want to check your Aquahot or Webasto (which ever you have and be glad it is not a stinking smoking choking Espar) for small leaks in additon to what the others have posted.

Loc

jello_jeep
01-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks, I will add that line to the book...

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Warren, You might try spraying an odor (canceling) eliminator spray into a suspected area of origin ( specific bay for instance). If the smell goes away make a detailed inspection to find the leak in that sprayed area. HVAC repair supply houses and possibly Graingers would sell it. JIM

Jerry Winchester
01-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Speaking of odor canceling and since thread creep is never a crime here, I was relaying a story to Ben and Jeff Baylee at dinner this week about the coach I had gone to look at and how the entire interior of the bus was pink.

Jeff's Reply - Buy it and resell it to some Mary Kay lady

Ben's Reply - Get some of those color canceling glasses (like the noise canceling headsets) and when you put them on, it will change the interior color to whatever you like.

And who said no question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious?

MangoMike
01-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Jim,

I want some of the odor cancelling eliminator for POG III in case I'm parked next to