PDA

View Full Version : Need Help, Locked out of our bus in a Walmart !

Barney
10-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Holy Smoke Batman!!! We stopped in Greenwood Ar to visit our grandkids for a couple days, so we parked and locked up our bus in a nearby Walmart.
Stopped by this afternoon and Bam. The keyless entry won't unlock. It usually clicks open with some strong authority but today it has a puny click and nothing.
In the past this happened after being park a week or so and by turning On the two power disconnects in the engine bay it would again open. As if a weak battery
was suddenly boosted by turning these switches on. But not today!. I started the gen externally and the main engine to see if charging might help, but nothing!
After talking to a locksmith he preatty much said there was nothing he could do. I take any help you might offer.
Also, if I have to Break In, it sounds like removing a windshield is the best least damaging option, Is that Right and can I do that myself in a parking lot.
Please advise as how to go about this. My Country Coach is a 2000 model 45 XL with 2 piece windshield. I have NO knowledge of procedures and directions for doing
this. Feel Free to call me at 972-896-8278 if you don't mind. We are full timers and everything we need is locked up. I'm hoping to avoid the hammer method.

Thanks,

Barney
972-896-8278

bussphart
10-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Dumb question, but don't you have a key to operate the lock?

Barney
10-23-2013, 07:45 PM
I just got it opened with a hammer of all things! A locksmith suggested the mechanism might be in a bind or in need of lube to actuate easily.
I tried pushing and shouldering on the door, but when it shuts it very very tight. I took a block of wood,rag and a hammer and started tapping on the door
around the latch area and the next time i entered the code it opened. HALLELUJAH!
My CC has three locks on the door. 1. the driver operated bolt that is air actuated with a push button from the drivers seat.
2. A key operated deadbolt from outside. 3. is the keypad lock ( that has no key) and is separate from the dead bolt.
Not the smartest setup in my opinion, I'll disable it or replace it with something that has a mechanical ( key) option if the electric fails.
I guess other CC owners of this vintage know what I'm talking about. What a close call this was! Whew. I still want to learn more about windshield
removal.

Regards,
and cancel the Mayday call.
Barney

Joe Camper
10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Depending on your ability it's doable. Some have spares they store in the back of the bedroom closet to be able to loose the nastier cracks right when they happen. IMO a good idea I like it. On a scale of 1 to ten its about a 5. Hey Barney ain't these Prevo fun the way they get that blood flowing. Lets go campin.

Gil_J
10-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Barney,

I'm glad you found a way in. I'm curious, was the door opened and that's what was causing the pressure on the lock? Reading your approach makes me think so.

merle&louise
10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
It is always a good idea to keep a spare key somewhere on the outside of the bus. I never did like those automatic door locks that open/close with the push of a button.

It's hard to beat a good old regular deadbolt!

bussphart
10-24-2013, 06:27 PM
I bought one of those combination lock boxes (like the realtors used to use) and have an extra set of keys in the box. Have it hidden in the front bumper compartment just in case.....Hope I never need it AGAIN!

Barney
10-24-2013, 06:52 PM
I did have a hide a key in place and I had the my carry key in my hand, but it wouldn't unlock the door.
I don't know if the lock mechanism for the dead bolt is interconnected to the handle latch or not and if mine is broken or designed that way?
I need to ask a couple other CC owners how theirs work, I don't think this is Prevost install, maybe? I'm thinking now the mechanism was under enough
tension or plain ole getting old that the solenoid just couldn't slide it open. Me tapping around the latch area with the hammer/ block jarred it loose?
When I get time I will dismantle this assembly and get to the truth CSI style.

Barney
10-24-2013, 06:56 PM
I really appreciate you troubleshooting and stepping me thru some possible solutions and ideas. When your all alone in a big parking lot, in unfamiliar
surroundings its nice to have a friendly voice helping you out. I owe you one partner.

Barney

Barney
10-24-2013, 07:02 PM
My Prevost ownership learning curves been like trying to take a drink out of a fire hose.

JIM KELLER
10-25-2013, 07:08 AM
My Prevost ownership learning curves been like trying to take a drink out of a fire hose.

Barney, Now THIS is funny !