PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the New Member Forum

Jeffery Raymond
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
This forum is dedicated for the use of new members to the site or lurkers who may have wondered just where to begin their postings.

Of course, all new members will be furnished with researched, accurate and timely information from the more experienced members.

Ahem.

Just Plain Jeff
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Please welcome 4BAJA to the forum (See comments in top forum).

Thanks.

MangoMike
01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Welcome 4BAJA,

Of course there's only dependable source of information from this group...

...http://www.newellcoach.com:591/bboard/

Mango Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
01-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Hello 4BAJA welcome to the club:)

merle&louise
01-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Welcome 4BAJA; what does the 4BAJA mean?

POG, the final frontier, you have entered where no sane man has entered before. We have a group of very unusual people, but most are, overall, pretty nice guys!

Glad to have you as a member and we all look forward to meeting you at POG III Rally in Kerrville. Jim Skiff (our resident scratch golfer) can sign you up for the rally.

If you have any old, smelly french fry oil in your kitchen, FED EX it to Bayley!
He's a collector!

rmboies
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Welcome 4BAJA! This forum is definitely unique and contrary to what Tuga said, not all of us are guys :p Just kidding Tuga!

Is your BAJA name related to California? You will enjoy the chats here they are fun and educational which is a novel concept:eek:

jello_jeep
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
!Hola 4baja. ?que tal

4BAJA
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
HI to all on this board ! Thanks for the welcome/warning ha ha
4BAJA is a license plate on a prerun truck (heavily modified 1500 silverado)that goes down to baja 4-5 times
a year. Shelly

dalej
01-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Shelly, Jan and I rode our Road King Classic all the way to Cabo in 05, we loved it. We are leaving in a few weeks for AZ in the bus with a small trailer and will ride to central america (the plan) if all goes well. We are planning 3-4 weeks for the trip.

Glad to have you on the forum!

4BAJA
01-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Dale, Sounds like an adventure, way into mexico, sure your aware of all the good/bad/unknown/stories/warnings/BS that MEXICO brings, It seems like I grew up in Baja racing off-road mid 70's thru late 80's
Now it's once a year XR ride Tecate to Cabo 6-8 guys back-pack stay off the
the pavement 7 day fun ride.......oh and a lot of pacificos, shrimp, fish tacos
along the way !!
Be very careful, have a great time. Shelly

tks18
01-25-2007, 11:08 PM
We are Tom and Toni and own an '88 that I designed. it is a two bedroom, front kitchen with a center door. We love it. Just hit 105K miles. I will attempt to attach a few photos.

Here we go. . . . .

Joe Cannarozzi
01-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Really nice, very unique, we like that. Side isle also like that too. Like the added privacy of that when entertaining. Ours is a rear kitchen and I gotta tell ya I kinda like the idea of haven the food closer to the driver:rolleyes:

Welcome to the club. Us folk with the older campers really need to band togeather around here. Same bus for 17 yr?

truk4u
01-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Tom,

Welcome aboard, great looking bus, I always liked the side entry.;)

ken&ellen
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Very nice coach. I have a friend that has been looking for a side entry, but is not a fan of the Newell. Welcome to POG hope to see you and your coach at POG III. Ken & Ellen

tks18
01-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome. We have always liked the front kitchen. The front passenger seat takes two and swivles and slides back up to the dash. A table flips out from the wall and there is a second seat that is behind the passenger that is elevated to provide view and forward seating for a total of five.

The living room seats 6 confortably. the dining area can make into a single bed and the living room can sleep another two. I can drop a shade down between the two (attached to the L sink cabs).

If Prevost would do a center door for me and push the slide back one bay, I would likd to try this same layout again. this time without the second 6x6 bedroom. I know of a converter that will do it, but I have not won the latto as of yet.

Tk

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Welcome TOM & TONI, I like what you have accomplished. You indicate in your profile that you like woodworking. Did you do your own work in converting or just the design?

The side door is interesting I have never seen that in a Prevost.
Did you add the door yourself or did you begin with it in place?

Will you be at POG3?

JIM
:)

MangoMike
01-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Tom,

Nice Bus! You obviously took a lot of time in determining future use as you laid out the floorplan. You should be proud as it looks great and is very unique.

Welcome to POG.

Mike

tks18
01-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Prevost used to do extra things for the customers. Not so anymore. they charged 10k for the side door in 88 and wanted another 5 to close off the front. I left the front door in and built drawers in the step well. liked the idea of a extra escape hatch anyway.

tks18
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Jim, I did not do any of the finish cabs. I did finish the interiors of them and all of the under bay cabs and slides, etc
tks

rmboies
01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Welcome Tom and Toni!

Bob has often mentioned the side entry door--I think he saw it on one of his initial coach searches? Very nice plan, particularly if you have kids, friends, other family traveling with you. I remember another inventive coach we saw photos of. A couple had small children and they made a drop down door through the floor of their coach and made one of the bays into a playroom:D I am sure they didn't use it while going down the road:eek:

bluevost
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Great looking bus. We had a side door on our old Eagle and we loved it. It had a pull across, roll up screen door that was great.

Hope to see you at Kerrville in April!!!

win42
01-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi TKS
Welcome to the asylum. Were you just @ Beaudry RV in Tucson? There was a center door Prevost here a couple of days ago. I talked with the wife at the coach, but never hooked up with the man. That was only the second Prevost I had ever seen with a center door. The first was a few years back when a converter in Stockton CA was doing one for Mr. Dolby of Dolby Sound fame. Mr. Dolby came there once a week from SF to install new electronic equip. and a few more miles of wire. If that was you in Tucson and I missed meeting you I'm sorry. I try to catch all Prevosts as they arrive and give them the POG pitch. Good luck and safe journey's to you.

tks18
01-28-2007, 04:18 PM
harry, who painted you coach, how much, how long ago, and aare you happy?

Are you still at Beaudry Tucson, if so how long? we will be back ther in a few days, maybe even tomorrow, Monday.

Tks

Tom

win42
01-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Tom
Stop by @ Beaudry on your return. We'll be here until 3/1. i'll give you the painters Brochure, we're very happy with the job & them. Dale J is headed here in a couple of weeks. You can call me @ 530-277-5534

shookie
02-03-2007, 09:56 AM
hello all...shookie, a new member here...up in pennsylvania...joined pog a week or 2 ago...picking up a 2000 elegant lady in stuart within the next 10 days...enjoy reading all the "stuff" on the boards...quite informative...quite humorous...sounds like you guys have a fine, tight-knit organization going...continued success...best to all....linda and mark

Just Plain Jeff
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Shookie: Organization? You said, organization? Oh well..

Welcome aboard with your new camper. You'll have a wonderful time and of course, we do expect to see your last 3 year's income tax returns with supporting documentation and your personal diaries, y'know, just friendly stuff.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, more importantly, if you have any answers to the many questions which have been more or less avoided, that would be even better.

This is a wonderful country and we are all busy exploring it in our own ways, coming together here on POG.

We look forward to seeing you at POG III. The Boss and I will be passing through PA (after the Graceland visit) on the way to Maine this spring; wanna go along? That would mean you have to endure Graceland, perhaps too heavy a price to pay...:D

tks18
02-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I am also a new member of only a week or so and already feel that this was a great investment. I had to float a loan to pay the fee, but in thirty years or so I will have adjusted to the added pmt.

I gave the POG membershi commitee somone elses Tax returns and they never caught on.
it is a knowledgable group, but they still haven't been able to show me where the spell check is on this reply thread. I need screen snapshot with an arrow.

Welcome to POG

Tom

truk4u
02-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Shookie,

Welcome aboard, you will want to check this nut house at least twice a day!:p I think the POG Liberty experts are still in Stuart, better check, they may steal your bus.:eek: We're glad to have you here and even the new guys, TKS18 is already pulling our chain, but he may already be an old guy with this group.:D

You have to give us progress report from Stuart.

merle&louise
02-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Shookie,

Welcome and congratulations on the purchase of your 2000 Elegant Lady!

When you have the time, we would sure like to see some pictures. You'll be glad that you joined this group -- they are a blast! Hope you are able to attend the rally in Kerrville (April 23-28). We would love to have you join us.:D :D

Jerry Winchester
02-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes be advised that the Liberty Hitler Youth are AWOL from the board this week while they practice the secret handshake and drink the Kool Aid in Stuart.

So ask all the questions now before the Anal Ones get back here and tell us how to build a watch.

JDUB

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Welcome Shookie, Hope the new bus turns out for you. It sounds like one I had my eye on for myself.
Don't worry about spell check. There isn't any. GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT. It's the thought that counts :) though sometimes, there isn't any of that either!:D
JIM

carhauler
02-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Hello to all!

Looks like an interesting group onboard here at POG. We'll try very hard to travel down the middle of the road and leave our political opinions aside, Hmmm.

We're both still employed in our Family business so most of our travel is business related. Just returned from Arizona and the odometer clicked over to 180,000. Sure beats the heck out of airplanes and stuffy Hotel rooms. Our youngest is 14 so hopefully we'll be free to roam within a few more years.

Our offtime is spent at our Summer home on Cuttyhunk Island.

Thanks, we're glad to be here!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Hello to all!

Our youngest is 14 so hopefully we'll be free to roam within a few more years.

What makes you think you'll be able to roam any more in a few years? Once the kidos get the taste of the Great Life with Mom and Dad they may never leave.:eek:

Besides they never move out, they just move around and then come back home. :o

Welcome to the group.

Jerry Winchester
02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Dave,

Welcome and how about some pics of your rig. We are in the same boat with a pack of snapperheads at the house, so I may be hauling them around for 10 more years, but sooner or later we will be out on our own with a few more schedule options.

JDUB

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
[quote=Gary & Peggy Stevens;10256]What makes you think you'll be able to roam any more in a few years? Once the kidos get the taste of the Great Life with Mom and Dad they may never leave.http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/

Besides they never move out, they just move around and then come back home. http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/

Welcome Dave and Linda,:) Dito on the --they never move out-- . We just had one come back and that is keeping us on concrete blocks for awhile.:eek: If I ever get to fulltime mode though it would be prety hard to have anyone move back!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope?????? JIM

Just Plain Jeff
02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
carhauler:

Welcome to POG! Nice to see one of the many 'lurkers' taking the dive to introduce themselves. We used to ask for the last 3 years of income tax returns and lots of personal information, but no one has produced them yet. (Why am I sounding like my mother?)

Anyway, welcome to the group, remembering there are no dumb questions for this bunch...and you are right, we don't talk about politics or religion here; we get into enough snits about bus care anyway :D

If you do have a chance to put up a picture or two or further introduce yourselves, please do.

rmboies
02-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey Dave and Linda,

Welcome to POG--great friends, wonderful coaches, and lots of advice from the experts:D

I am not sure how far kids ever get from home--one of ours did not move out until she was 28--she even commuted to college--and now she lives next door:eek: The bonus is that the grandkids visit often and then walk back home to their parents after we spoil them;)

lewpopp
02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Welcome aboard,

As for the kid, we had 7 and when they all went to the great jobs(?) and mariages, we secretly sold the house and snuk out of town.

If you finally loosen up, you may understand JDUB and Jon. As for JPJ, he has a large case of MENDACITY.

Lew

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-08-2007, 10:51 PM
If I ever get to fulltime mode though it would be prety hard to have anyone move back!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope??????

Jim, they can't move back in if you DON'T TELL them where you are ! :D :D

Gary S

Jon Wehrenberg
02-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Dave and Linda.

Welcome to the greatest Prevost site. Just be real careful because some of the folks that hang around here tend to be delusional. Read the posts and you will see what I mean.:D

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Dave and Linda.

Welcome to the greatest Prevost site. Just be real careful because some of the folks that hang around here tend to be delusional. Read the posts and you will see what I mean.:D

Hey wait a minute Jon, I resemble that remark ? :)

Welcome Dave and Linda

Gary S

Joe Cannarozzi
02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Well hello Linda and Dave. If ever in, or coming through Chicago please let us know.

Stelan73
02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
The only "Liberty Handshake" I know relates to check book writers cramp and the Kool Aide always floweth.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Did they convince you to put in an order for your 2008 coach Steve?

It's only money.

Stelan73
02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
They almost did but Ginger grabbed me by the ear, pulled me out of the dealership and locked me in the bus. I was at Liberty today and the final count for the weekend was 8 New and 2 Used. Not bad for a weekends work.

lewpopp
02-10-2007, 10:06 PM
A neighbor of mine purchased a Liberty H last year at that rally and came back with an XL this year. PHEW, brings the sweat to my brow.

mike kerley
02-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Good to have you with us.

One of the "benefits" of living aboard is you dont have a spare bedroom.

Our coach will handle 6 for cocktails , 4 for dinner (and we prefer to do that outdoors on the patio) and sleeps two. Every once in a while the wife slips a grand child onto the couch, but it is rare. I love grandkids, just not for long periods of time. Nice to see them come AND go.

Mike and Karen

Just Plain Jeff
02-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Welcome to our new members!

You will find that there are occasional moments of cogent information being dispensed by a select few on this board and the rest of it is, well, just information.

Speaking of which, I am tracking down new information about an auto-spitter on the pressure side of the compressor. Seems as if that's an additional PM item.

Journeyone144
05-15-2007, 05:48 AM
Evening All,
I don't have to test the waters here...after reading a good many posts throughout the Group...I'm ready for some opinions I probably won't like but I'm here anyway..because..
I've been retired from my commercial bus driving 14 yrs. of experience since 1983..and after having owned 15 gas engine motor homes in my lifetime I still want to own my own diesel bus...even if I only get to drive it for one season..and I want it to be a Prevost or none at all..
I presently still own two RV's...a 96 Coach House Dodge Class B and a 98 National Dolphin..There's no one anywhere with a worse case of "White Line Fever" than me..
Jan 19th 07 I arrived back home in NJ after 5 months and 11,000 miles in that wee Coach House..that I bought so I could do mountains..I have a fear of heights that kept me from going West some 50 yrs..but I was as determined to see the West as I am to find a Prevost I can afford for my last rig..
I came to POG knowing there's much I need to learn about owning a Prevost..Driving for Bus Compainies I never needed to learn a thing except how to unhang the gears I hung up..or call for a flatbed to be sent to pick me up if I broke down..but I also never needed to know much more to drive the 15 gas engine RV's I owned either..so why not make my dream come true..if I can..
I'm here to try to make the best choice I can... hoping for your help in making that decision..I have to stay as close to the 100K mark as possible..especially with today's diesel prices and any kind of repairs..but I think today the dream can become a reality..and a few years ago I never thought it would.!!
For a little about me I'm including a write up in "Road & Travel Magazine" that I was included in a couple of years ago..It just tells something about how it was for me way back in the 50's..but it also tells of my love of driving...

Scroll down to..."Beyond the call of duty" on the second page of this article..which is now in their archives..That's getting old too...lol..

http://www.roadandtravel.com/adventuretravel/rvingforwomen.htm

Hugs Always Viv aka..JourneyOne

Jon Wehrenberg
05-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Welcome to the asylum, Viv.

I think you will find a lot of Prevost conversions that are in good shape in the price range you have set for yourself.

If you are not mechanically inclined or lack the ability to evaluate an older coach (which will be in the late eighties range) you should try to get someone familiar with the Prevost and the converter to help you evaluate the coach.

The important thing will be to ignore colors, designs, and decor and zero in on the systems and condition of the coach and all that goes with it.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here. Sometimes we give real good answers, and sometimes we make things up, but we almost always answer.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Welcome Viv, there's a lot of what your looking for out there even some on prevost-stuff. Hope it all works out for you. Your already in full blast with regards to the computer and image stuff so I think you will do all right. It's a lot about attitude. Go For It;) Get yourself on the map Dale set up so we know what part of the country your in.
Are you fulltiming:confused:
:) JIM

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Just bought our first RV, a Prevost! We live on the west coast of Florida, plan on short trips at first carrying a bike. Any info on good places to stop and leave the RV while we ride? Also getting the Hydralift. any comments. Thanks all, see someone somewhere sometime.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Hello Viv

We often brouse the web sights for whats out there and a new listing on http://www.heartlandbus.com/ has recently come up.

Its an 84XL, a 40, converted by Marathon that is right in that range.

We think that it is a very comfortable looking conversion and I think it could be had for closer to 100 even, than the asking price.

If you, when you get one if it is in need of any repairs I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Good hunting.

Hay Chalupka are you seeing this?

Joe Cannarozzi
05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Jeff and Roberta

Congradulations on the new bus and after reading your profile I'm wondering what are you fueling that with, peanut oil?:rolleyes:

We are down that way every winter, mabye we will meet.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Jeff and Bert,

Congratulations and welcome aboard.

Maybe the bikers here can answer your questions. The picture doesn't reveal if your ride is a 40 or 45, but if a 45 I would check to see if the rear hitch can take the weight of a bike cantilevered off the back. I would be less concerned about a 40.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey Viv,

Take a look at this one.....it looks pretty good.

http://www.philcooper.com/details.php?v_id=338

rmboies
05-15-2007, 07:56 PM
woohoo, another lady posting on POG, welcome Viv:D I hope you find the coach of your dreams and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the article about your travels. You certainly have a pioneer spirit and I admire that!

rmboies
05-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Welcome Jeff and Bert......congratulations on your new Liberty~! Hopefully we will get to meet you at our next rally;)

grantracy
05-15-2007, 08:27 PM
I have the hydra lift installed on a 45' vantare. It is the sport lift and set up for two bikes. We have carried two big twins ( although fairly lightweight customs)the only noticeable effect was the tendency to bounce which was resolved by strapping the lift to the hitch using a 2" strap.

garyde
05-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Welcome Viv. Check out e-bay as well , they sometimes have reduced pricing on Prevosts. Make sure to make it to the next POG Rally if you can, there are sometimes very nice well maintained coaches for sale.
Don't stop sharing with us your experiences. Its what POG is all about.

garyde
05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Welcome Jeff and Ro. I understand Keerville was a great place to stay and ride. I'm sure some of our esteemed Harley Poggers can chime in.

ken&ellen
05-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Jeff & Ro, Ellen & I are Harley riders as well as Liberty owners. If you wish to ride in and around Savannah, Ga. Stop by our place. Downtown Savannah has much to see and has great restaurants. We actually live approximately 20 miles off the interstate, but great roads for cruising on our Road King. We are 2 hours from Charleston, SC, less than 1 hour from Tybee Island and Hilton Head and as my brother-in-law from Atlanta says " you have great highways that go .....no where " Of course he is comparing riding in the greater Atlanta area to South Georgia. Welcome to POG. :cool: Ken & Ellen

jello_jeep
05-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Viv, Jeff, Ro

welcome aboard. You will have countless hours of fun sorting all the bi-polar personalities here, and even find some good information..

It really is a good bunch, but don't EVER tell them I said that! :D

JIM KELLER
05-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Viv Welcome !

Ken & Ellen, Karen and I are also Bikers. 07 Road Glide at this time. We will have to exchange a riding visit in your area of Ga. for a visit at our place in Franklin,N.C. sometime. We are in the mountains where the Cherohala Skyway, Deals Gap and the Blueridge Parkway are our riding area.

Jeff & Ro, Welcome ! You must be pretty close to us here in Largo,Fl.

ken&ellen
05-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Ellen & I enjoy a nice ride. This is her 07 Road King Classic.....she lets me ride it. We have plenty of parking. Horses and bikes welcome. Grab Tom & Nancy on your way down from NC....they also ride. Ken

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Bert and I are planning our first weekend run now. First I need to get the Hydralift.
We are a short bike ride to Largo. Apollo Beach is 30 minutes south of Tampa.
Savannah huh??? I know it is a nice senic place to visit but never thought of it for riding. It is just over a 4 hour ride woops I mean drive. Got to remenber in a bus now. Anyone in the Tampa area know of safe local RV resorts to recomend. I need to place ours. Not allowed where we live. :(

JIM KELLER
05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Jeff, Be sure to do research on the lift idea before investing and installing. I know of several people that said they wished they had not done what you are considering. Looking at your bus in the picture I cant tell if it is a 40 or 45 but the ride height of the rear looks lower than the front. Be sure to consider, Diesel exhust stains on the bike, easy access to the engine compartment for inspections when you stop, towing a vehicle behind the Bike,etc. Do a search on both sites and find out about the assets as well as the drawbacks and I'm sure you will make the right decision.

We keep our Bus at a place called Covered Storage, 10666 66th St. No. in Pinellas Park. 727 530 7867. $215.00 per month, includes 50 amp service so the a.c. is always on along with anything else you want to use. The place has easy access onto 118th ave which puts us on the Interstate with the least amount of traffic lights.

The ultimate is having the Bus parked at the house and we are working toward that someday.

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks Jim, Bummer! I thought having the lift was the easy way to go when not needing a car. I was also going to set up a tow car when out for long periods. Guess that is out too. It is a 45 footer. Gen and Heater exhaust rear, engine exhausts to the side. Sounds like you recomend a trailer even for short hauls. Any negative to that? I may be your neighbor at Covered. Jeff

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Jim,
I just saw your Bio and field. One of our businesses is Bio Fuel Transport. Lets talk 904-424-2600.
Jeff

Joe Cannarozzi
05-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Try looking at this web site.

www.rvliftsofamerica.com

We met some folks on the road with a dresser on the lift and a Jeep in tow behind. They were in a plastic camper though. It was deffinatly built strong enough in my opinion, pretty well made.

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I have researched the lifts and pleased with the Hydralift. No cables and puts the bike a few feet up. Now the question is do I want to lift or tow a trailer. We were planning on towing our LandRover Sport when needing bring a car. I would like to protect it, but the convience of just bringing the bike without a tow is so appealing. Any comments?

Joe Cannarozzi
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Be flexible.

Just get both:rolleyes:

I would think that pulling a trailer big enough might be a bit of an added chore and expence.

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I agree, Jim gave me some good points to consider. It is just that a major part of my having the coach was for the bike, I have a boat that we travel on too, but the dam bike does not float. So rather then have an issue of a trailer every trip, I think the lift will be the way. I can always trailer later or sink the bike.:confused:

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Jeff, possibly you could set-up to tow a full sized pickup truck with the bike in the bed of the truck. That would cover all your angles if you don't mind riding around in a PU truck.

Toy Box
05-16-2007, 09:07 PM
FWIW, We have tried almost every combination out there. Most 45' bus model frames don't like the bike lift on the extended frame rails. When we go out, we either tow a Tahoe flat or we pull a trailer. The trailer holds a car ( vette or escalade) and a full size golf cart or two dressers, one H D and a (cringe) goldwing. Not only can we take what we want for the trip, but we have a great garage and guest house when needed. The trailer is only 24' long but it has all the storage we will ever need. Several cross country trips and so far, no problems with spots to park. Probably not for everyone, but again, we like the security of the (garage) trailer. Next trip is in one week and we will go from Ft Lauderdale to Daytona, Pensacola, (picking up relatives) with final destination Durango. Trip usually takes three full days. I guess we are just trailer trash. I know Fast Rog will agree.

rfoster
05-16-2007, 09:17 PM
George and DeDe: I will agree with most anything you say. But the trailer trash part - well you are least a notch or two above that. You do still have the Liberty right? By the way does the check come on the 3rd or 5th of the month in Florida?:cool:

Toy Box
05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah Roger! We still have the Liberty. Probably will for the next few years. Too nice and too good to think about moving up just yet, although the boys up in Stuart call on a regular basis to keep the pressure on. Those checks that previously came on the 3rd stopped on April 15.... I figured the were now going to you or A1.!!!?????? Sorry we missed you all in Tx... looks like another super time for the poggers. Durango is waiting for you. Try one of our web cams... geodede.dynalis.org:14181, or 14184. The new bus barn is up but now working on the inside. Should be finished in a month or so. Two outside plug ins for you and whoever.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-17-2007, 08:04 AM
If I wasn't getting my checks I would have to go out and get a job.

"Hi, welcome to Wal-Mart", or "do you want to supersize that?"

bill&jody
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
we pull a 20' trailer with bike and car. with both in the "garage", theres approx 18" from the ft bumper to the clutch box on the bike. we store a couple of bicycles as well (they sit in front of the bike for the moment - they really need to hang on the front wall up high). jon sez bus frames don't like all that weight on the frame (especially bouncing weight) that far back from the wheels, and even more so for 45' buses.

eagle head lifts makes a nifty hydraulic unit that comes apart in pieces so a single individual can get it on and off the bus. the downside is that when mounted, you can't open the engine room doors. :-( it's about 3 grand.

hydralift usa makes a hydraulic unit that will clear the doors, but i think it's one really heavy piece (i could be wrong about that). this unit comes in at about 5K.

there are several much less costly units that lift with wire cable - i don't particularly care for these, but you might.

as for pulling a pickup, be sure you find an aux brake unit first. the super duty fords use hydraulic over hydraulic brakes, that is, no vacuum assist - their assist comes from hydraulic pressure supplied by the steering pump. there is a small receiver that stores pressure for a couple brake pumps, but after that, pressing on, even STANDING on the brake peddle offers very little braking. M&S (i think thats the right name - someone jump in here to correct if wrong) makes a unit that has an elec hydraulic pump to provide pressure. someone else makes a unit that goes between the firewall and the master cylinder. both of these have special requirements for space. my '02 f250 with std tranny would not take either of these units (according to the mfgs).

also check tow bar height on the truck an the bus hitch - they need to be the same height. there are fancy height-shifting hitches, but be sure they don't de-rate the towing capacity because they're not just straight hitches.

i did finally find some guy in calif (there's a surprise) that would make me an after mkt setup with air brake chambers that could glad hand into the bus brake air. $2500. seemed like a bit extreme to me. YMMV.

for me, putting the bike in is pretty easy now that i've done it many times. i use a bike lift with wheels to maneuver it into place, and had special padeyes put down in the trailer floor to hold it in place. with the wheel turned left and locked, the overall length of the bike, ft tire to rear fender, is approx 3" shorter than the inside dim of the trailer, so movement of the bike MUST be kept to an absolute minimum with tie downs, both sideways and fore and aft.

but you prob'ly knew that already. :-)

lastly, don't forget to check your bus GCWR. my trailer weighs in at 3400# empty, and it's (almost) all aluminum. add car and bike and we're at almost 4 tons. and i guess i don't have to mention that a used trailer is signif'ly cheaper than a new one.

apologies for the length of the post.
wmm

Jon Wehrenberg
05-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Just to clarify and expand on my concerns about cantilevering heavy weight from the hitch.

Prevost has a limitation of 1000 lbs. on the hitch and that is presumed to be a ball hitch just past the bumper.

The hitch is attached to the engine cradle and I strongly suspect if you mount a motorcyle a couple of feet or more beyond that point or a heavier tongue weight trailer the extra stresses will have an impact not only on the engine cradle, the rear suspension, and the frame, but those stresses may extend all the way up into the rear cap and the rear cap attach points. Because the lever arm is very long, that extra weight will add some multiple of the actual load on the rear suspension because the net effect will be the extra weight, plus the amount that cantilevered load lifts from the front axle.

Prevost has provided heavier hitches and some coaches have been modified to handle substantial extra loads.

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I spoke with David at Liberty Coach in Jax. He had alot to say about attaching a lift, all bad. So now that a lift is out. Anyone know of a good enclosed 21 to 30 foot car hauler for sale? Now I have to remove the bike from the signature.

MangoMike
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Jeff,

You may want to check out this trailer as posted by dreadnought.

http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=978&highlight=trailer

Welcome to POG.

Mike

garyde
05-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi Jeff. One last thing . Make sure to check with DMV regarding allowable length of trailer and bus in the states you wish to travel. Brian E had also indicated a commercial license may be required in states with towabe weight over 10k.

Journeyone144
05-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks a lot Jon,
You just hit me where I live..I want a Pre so I can have my dream come true...and I'm not going to be eating, sleeping or playing in the engine or drive train, compartments..
If I have to buy one soley because it runs good I could buy an MCI or something like that a whole lot cheaper...or just keep my Dolphin...which has a great layout..
I already know I have to give up my one slide...but I know too the extra 3 feet in length will more than compensate for that one sacrifice...
If it has chairs I don't care for I can change them...but there's not much else I can think of that could be moved around or exchanged...lol...
What I want is the quiet in the Pre...the fabulous drivers compartment...love the mood lights around some windows...and I have seen one I would love to buy that made me come here...
The URL is http://www.eaglespridervsales.com/eaglespride6_003.htm ..I would love to hear what you have to say about this ad...I've driven this coach about 5 miles...but didn't buy it right off...It's still for sale...
Hugs Always Viv....aka JourneyOne

Jon Wehrenberg
05-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Viv,

My comments are to be understood as not being related to price.

The floor plan is typical of that vintage coach. In fact it is not unlike newer non-slide coaches. It works. On the surface the coach looks nice. The finish is a little tired and dated.

What is needed is a hands on evaluation. As a professional driver you clearly understand all the maintenance a coach requires. My starting point with the seller would be a review of the service history. If there is none I don't run away from the coach, but I do make sure the price reflects that I will treat the brake chambers and air bags as junk in my mind and will make sure if I buy that coach that they are replaced.

I will look at the tire date codes. The tread may be great, but if they are 5 years old they need to be replaced. Ditto the batteries, both the house and the bus. Five years is a good life. After that you are on borrowed time.

Since it is a 92 the coach as DDEC II and ATEC so I would have the Detroit and Allison dealers read the codes.

If everything checked out up to that point, and the price still reflects whatever the coach needs, like the aforementioned brake chambers or tires, then I would start operating the coach systems. I would start with the biggies, and work my way down. The generator and the AC systems would be the first things I would operate.

That particular coach does not have the Prevost over the road air. Because of that I would verify every AC system, including driver's air was in perfect operating condition. Especially if you intend to operate it in the southwest in the summer.

After methodically going through every system, operating every switch and knob you will have a very clear idea of the condition of the coach.

None of the systems or devices can be evaluated with pictures from a web site.

If you are just starting you search go to every web site that has coaches for sale, and visit and look at every one you can reasonably get to. You will very quickly get to the point where you will know when you have that "eureka" moment.

Look especially for coaches that reflect pride of ownership. They will be clean everywhere, all systems and components will work, and the owner will have all manuals and books along with documents relating to service.

Good luck

Do not be afraid to ask POG members that live near a coach to go look at it. A number of folks have done that, and it will save you from making a trip to look at a dog, or will inspire you to look at a creampuff.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Here's a Liberty that is likely to be very clean. A converter won't touch one of this age unless it is a good coach.

I just don't know why I am seeing Liberty Coaches in this vintage without over the road air. That is uncommon.

http://prevost-stuff.com/1989-Liberty-Parl-C232.htm

Ray Davis
05-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Viv,

Very close to my coach, which is a 93 CC. Similar white-washed oak etc. I'm a little surprised at the low price. I paid considerably more for mine, and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal. It does have considerably more miles than mine, but in some aspects, you don't want too little use either.

As John mentioned, the exterior paint looks a bit tired and warn from the photos. Probably from being stored outside.

I would expect to save around $25k for maintenance and repairs on an older coach, like this. I had severe A/C problems with mine which cost a mint to finally get resolved. New tires and there goes another $4k in a hurry.

Anyway, a coach of this era can be a real joy. Mine is finally where I wanted it to be mechanically.

Check it out very carefully however, as the low price actually scares me a bit.

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
05-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Viv,

I looked further into the web site on that CC coach.

My remarks are all valid for any coach you are considering. On this particular coach I actually saw it in person. It is tired. You need to steal it.

You can do better.

Bill and Jodie live there. I would assume they will echo my remarks.

WM or Jodie? Care to comment?

Ray Davis
05-18-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm curious what a steal would be? There are 4 1992 coaches on P-stuff. The cheapest is $159k, while the other 3 run $189 to $220k. I believe that Phil Coopers site has similar asking prices.

Generally, from when I was looking, 1992 coaches were getting in the $175k range, so this one listed at $114 to me feels like it's very low priced. Although, as pointed out, it's not in the best of shape, and mileage is high.

ray

lewpopp
05-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Bill,Jodt, Kathy and I looked at the coach at TGO and it was very tired.

As for the coach listed by Parliament (89). Was the price somewhere. Ray commented that the price was quite low. I couldn't locate the price.

Lew

garyde
05-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Viv, There are a half dozen or so 40' Coaches on PhilCooper.com . We all have spoken about the moment when you see the coach you have to buy. So, let us know when you find that Coach.

Ray Davis
05-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Lew,

If you click on Viv's original link to the coach, then click on the "Inventory" link on the left side of the page, you'll see a list of coaches and their prices. This coach was something like 2nd to the bottom, listed at $114,900.

Ray

Journeyone144
05-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi Joe & Debbie, Jeff & Bert, Jon, Gary,
Believe me I've looked at Pre's at every place you named...I have all their URL's on my puter desktop since Jan. when I got back from my trip cross country...and I look at each place every day...

Joe and Debbie, that was a wonderful offer you just made me about work that something I buy might need...I really like the 92 Country Coach at Eagle's Pride but Mike the owner there already scared me good...I almost drove that home in Jan...was one hour away from signing on the dotted line...Glad I didn't now...he just offered it to me again for 95K and my Dolphin..would have paid much more in Jan but with only my Coach House in trade...I would only talk about that in a private e-mail or on an IM...I'm on both Yahoo and MSN in case you're on one of them...Where are you located...I'm in NJ..

Jeff and Bert, I was kind of scared I was the only woman here and that was an intimidating thought...Whew..!!! Thanks so much for the encouragement..
Is Amanda a woman alone like me...I can't tell from the posts made..

Gary, I've seen quite a few on E-Bay and I'm on their "Watch List" get notified from them for every Pre they put up...Nice one on there right now but I'm afraid to buy sight unseen...I hope I can tell something more by driving one...but I'd really like to pay a bus mechanic to go over one first...if I can find someone...that was another reason for coming here to POG...

Woman alone walks on a lot and a red flag goes up...stat...been there..too many times and learned the hard way to be really cautious...and more so this time...knowing so little about diesels...I know they're a dream to drive but living hell if I have to sit still broke down...lol...
Thank you every one...Already I'm glad I came here...
Hugs Always Viv...

Jon Wehrenberg
05-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Viv,

Let's say you want the best Prevost you can get for $100,000. There are probably a dozen out there in that price range at any given time.

Some will have asking prices much higher, but the reality is that asking prices are not always realistic. What is real however is the fact that the market is always changing, and if you miss one today, another will become available tomorrow.

I think it is critical for you to get as much knowledge and experience looking at these coaches as you possibly can. That vintage coach is going to have 15 or 20 years of use, and some will look great and be mechanical disasters, and some will be ugly, but will have been well maintained. Any coach in that vintage is going to need something. The key is to find one that has the floorplan and systems you want, and that has almost everything working.

That bus you want is out there, and as you gain experience looking, when you see that bus you want you will know it right away.

truk4u
05-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Viv,

If you find the Bus you really want, think about having Nick with Omnitech meet you at the Bus and do an inspection for you. He will travel to any part of the country and is one of our Sponsor's. We all met him at POG3 and think he has a very valuable service to offer.

Here's his e-mail address:omnitech_nick1@yahoo.com

rmboies
05-20-2007, 09:19 AM
[
Jeff and Bert, I was kind of scared I was the only woman here and that was an intimidating thought...Whew..!!! Thanks so much for the encouragement..
Hugs Always Viv]

Hey Viv, do not feel alone, there are many women on the POG chat list. Most of them don't post but several of them do read. Whenever you see a post with our signature it is always me, aka Debi (one of the guys), doing the posting because my husband is likely at the other computer looking at buses for sale and he doesn't type:D I just saw Fast Roger's head turn to see if Micki is reading this, she may need to find her checkbook sooner then he thought:eek:

Just remember, you are never alone now that you have joined POG though there may be appropriate times to use the delete key--ha~! Best of luck with your search. That special coach is out there just waiting for you to find it!

Joe Cannarozzi
05-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Viv

We are in Chicago but we spend as much time as we can in the winter in Fla.

Camping it or driving it or working on it, its all the same to me so, if need be, when the time comes, don't be shy.

I have wondered if a camping clinic would be somethig fun and desirable. A rally of sourts where those of us that are mechanicly minded can help those who are not. Like taking mechanics corner to the next level.

All the campgrounds we have ever been to do not allow people to make mechanical repairs for a bunch of obvious reasons.
I have been kicking around the idea of opening a campground in Tenn. and have a portion of the grounds set aside for allowing folks to come and either make, or have repairs made. Put up a pole barn supply the bigger nessesary tools folks can't carry, and support with a parts source, and mechanical expertice of whatever degree that is needed.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Viv

We too were at The Great Outdoors in Titusville in Jan. We stopped for a few days to visit Bill and Jody, other POGrs who own a spot there. We probably walked right by eachother.:(

Journeyone144
05-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Joe, Jon, Tom, more...
I am sooooo glad I came to POG...!!!!
These replies to my last post that I've just finished reading brought tears to my eyes...
The fear of buying is lessening...I want to own a Pre so bad I can taste it..and if I don't do it soon I may never have the chance...I was about 14 yrs. old sitting on the front porch with my Mentor...My Grandpa Dilly...When a bus broke down across the road from our house in Succasunna NJ.. When they came and got it running again a little later I think I heard the sound of air brakes..didn't even know what they were...but when that bus started I got excited...and told my Grandpa...I wanted to drive one of them..His reply was..."Now you just get that outa your head...Girls don't drive busses"
I bet he turned over in his grave many times since...lol...Girls didn't play Chess either but I do...
Now at my age I have a lot of friends against my buying a Pre...but they also agree that I've never said I was going to do something and didn't do it...
but to do this I will have to put my house up for the money...but I can't take the house or the bus with me when I leave this world, now can I ...and that's the way I'm thinking now...
I guess everything I've ever done was a challenge...and I spread myself so thin...loving so many different things in life...that I only excelled in one thing...driving...well when you get paid for it you've excelled to a point, right..?? And I loved it the best...I've been tired from too many hours driving many times but I never tired of driving itself...
Bless everyone of you for your genuine concern...and believe me I'll follow thru' with all of your suggestions and advice...
Many Many Thanks...and please let me know when the next get together will be...I would love to meet some of you...

I hesitated at first because I'm not rich at all...just more comfortable now then I've ever been in my entire life...and I'm so grateful to you all I'm going to give you my Home Pages..Nothing ever came easy to me..but I've had a very very full life...
Hugs Always Viv .. aka JourneyOne

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep driving."

My Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/Vivians_Journey/

My Life in Pictures & Captions
http://community.webshots.com/user/journey144

Scroll down to...'Beyond the call of duty' ...for this little story about me in Road & Travel Magazine....
http://www.roadandtravel.com/adventuretravel/rvingforwomen.htm
Enjoy

rmboies
05-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Viv,

LOVED your webshots, wow what a wonderful life! Of course I had to check out the horse photo album first which I am sure surprises no one on this list who knows me:D I raise Morgan horses and Bob raises Prevosts:rolleyes:

I think you should mark your calendar for the next POG rally to be held in October in Branson, MO. You don't have to have a Prevost to "come on down" but I hope you do since it is your dream to own one. Debi

Joe Cannarozzi
05-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Viv

At the bottom of the first page of my life in pictures you have the renovation of a 200yr old farmhouse and there is a picture of a prevo that you describe as the classiest liberty you ever saw.

I'm not 100% sure but that sure looks like Jeff and Helens new bus.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Viv,

LOVED your webshots, wow what a wonderful life! Of course I had to check out the horse photo album first which I am sure surprises no one on this list who knows me:D I raise Morgan horses and Bob raises Prevosts:rolleyes:

I think you should mark your calendar for the next POG rally to be held in October in Branson, MO. You don't have to have a Prevost to "come on down" but I hope you do since it is your dream to own one. Debi

Hey Deb, If Bob is cleaning stalls and feeding at 7:00 AM, who is raising Morgans:confused: :eek:

rmboies
05-20-2007, 04:43 PM
[]Hey Deb, If Bob is cleaning stalls and feeding at 7:00 AM, who is raising Morgans:confused: :eek]

Jim, you can go to your room any time now;) I am very lucky that Bob helps out and it is his choice no matter what he tells you :D That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Joe Cannarozzi
05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Looks like we have another new member from Illinois. Thats great!

Welcome henryhighwood. Now we are 3:)

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-22-2007, 08:59 PM
[]Hey Deb, If Bob is cleaning stalls and feeding at 7:00 AM, who is raising Morgans:confused:

Jim, you can go to your room any time now;) I am very lucky that Bob helps out and it is his choice no matter what he tells you, That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Still friends Deb, Hah:confused: Hah;)

Journeyone144
05-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Viv

At the bottom of the first page of my life in pictures you have the renovation of a 200yr old farmhouse and there is a picture of a prevo that you describe as the classiest liberty you ever saw.

I'm not 100% sure but that sure looks like Jeff and Helens new bus.

The bus I'm referring to was put up on E-Bay and I also saw it advertised elsewhere too...can't remember who sent the url to me the first time but I saw it in one other place besides E-Bay...where it never got bid to the reserve....but it was out of my price range...from the starting bid...over 200K was the asking price elsewhere that I saw it ...E-Bay never showed a buy it now price that I can remember...
Here is the URL for the entire coach...if it's still available on the Net...I saved each picture on my hard drive...from these pictures...and this coach was located in Oregon...Maybe it is the one Jeff and Helen bought...
Hugs Always Viv...

http:/rvup.com/prevo/index.htm /www.

Journeyone144
05-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Looks like the ad was taken down but I still have it all saved on My Documents...and also a short cut on my desk top to it that still works for me...what can I tell ya...if it was sold it probably was taken down ...
Hugs Always Viv...

Ray Davis
05-24-2007, 12:34 AM
The ad is still online at: http://rvup.com/prevo/index.htm

Although the bus is not listed on the front page of rvup.com, so maybe it is not available. When I was looking for my coach I did fly up to Eugene OR and looked at two coaches represented by Michael Boland. One I really liked, but Kathy didn't. Imagine a paint job that is an Oregon sunset (11 different colors, no hard lines anywhere), but it was primarily pink. By John Stahr. Stunning, but ....

Anyway, Michael seems to be an alright guy, but I wonder about someone who posts an appraisal, signed by himself, and who is also the salesman. Seems like a conflict to me.

I never did see a price on this bus. One concern is that I'm told the 40ft H3's were not very popular, and although they can be gotten for a good price, the resale isn't good.

Ray

Journeyone144
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I just fell in love...I saw this cockpit and thought I'd died and went to heaven ...but I can't swing the price they're asking for this 92 Liberty Lady Coach..!!! 179K...
The only thing I really didn't like about it are the two dinette chairs...they look like they wouldn't hold up a 100 lb. gal..and even tho' I only weigh 139..I like a cushion under my butt...lol...but heck they could be changed sooo easy...I can't believe this coach...!!!! yet so far out of my reach by about 50K ...
Please look at it for me and tell me your opinions...I send a message to Phil's list asking to talk to the owner...no reply from him yet but I only sent it last night...
Hugs Viv...
On Phil Coopers List ...
http://www.philcooper.com/details.php?v_id=347

Jon Wehrenberg
06-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Viv,

You are unlikely to find an H3 in the price range you want unless it has been run hard and put away wet, or unless it was a cheap conversion.

The cockpit in that H3 is typical of all Liberty coaches up until the new dash style of around 2000, regardless of whether it is an H3 or an XL.

The H3 is advantageous if you intend to full time because the storage in the bays is substantial. The drawback from my wife's perspective is the climb up those stairs into the living area. Not such a big deal when getting in and out, but when we are loading the coach they are tough to negotiate.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
The only thing I really didn't like about it are the two dinette chairs...they look like they wouldn't hold up a 100 lb. gal..and even tho' I only weigh 139..I like a cushion under my butt...

Viv, very nice bus. I personally like the chairs, very eclectic and I am sure you could find a georgeous fabric to make a "tie on pillow cusion" for the chairs to match the inside fabrics. I am sure they will handle any weight you want to throw at them, cept maybe JDUB ?

Sorry Jer, just had to keep your name Out here, since your on vacation.

Viv, maybe the owner will have a soft spot for a woman driver/owner such as yourself, and will accept your offer? Lets hope :)

Gary S

henryhighwood
06-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

I have lusted after a coach for years and am now getting to the point in my life where it looks like I can make it happen.
I have signed on and have been reading to learn as much as I can before I actually start kicking tires.

Ted

Joe Cannarozzi
06-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Ted its great to have another member from Illinois. If there is anything we can do to help we would love to try. Where in Illinois are you, the camper could use a little exersize, it has been sitting since early Feb., mabye we could run it your way one weekend and get togeather?

henryhighwood
06-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Princeton, Exit 56 on I-80.

Where are you in Chicago?

Joe Cannarozzi
06-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Yes Ted but right off I-80 at the 161, your about 100 miles out.

Is there somewhere good for dinner close to the exit where we can pull in and park. That is a good stretch for the old girl. I am learning, all too quickly, the damage and or deterioration from insufficiant use.

Unfortunatly when you live in Chicago its flat for the first few hours no matter witch way you go, that direction is as good as any.

If you don't have plans and would like to meet over dinner tomorrow afternoon/eve. call me 708-243 7871. We can roll around noon right after church.

Just Plain Jeff
06-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Henry:

You are one smart cookie to find out more about Prevost ownership and all that stuff before you buy one. Welcome to POG.

Ah, you noted that you wanted to kick some tires first. Around this site, be a bit careful. Some of the tires are filled with hot air and some with moo-goo-gai-pan.

You'll figure it out soon enough.

Have fun!

henryhighwood
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Joe,
That sounds good, but the next few weeks are rather hectic for us with visiting grandaughters and a wedding to attend.
We will keep the offer in mind as I would definitely like to get some first hand pointers.

JPJ,
Thanks for the heads up, I suspect that is true of most groups.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
06-09-2007, 05:42 PM
JPJ; moo-goo-gai-pan must be Asian for NITROGEN ?

Gary S

rmboies
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Welcome Ted and Lynne! This is a great group of people and I hope you find your dream bus very soon. Some of us are presently members of a sub-group to POG called "The 2 Bus Club", or possibly "Club of fools" according to Bob :D Maybe with your tire kicking, one of us could drop out of that club--ha~! Best of luck in your search!

Jon Wehrenberg
06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Welcome. Does this mean we are going to have another aviator that owns a bus?

Is that a Bo in the picture?

Jerry Winchester
06-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Now Gary that was way harsh.

I'm just out here on I-40 watching my wife drive whilst I set back dodging the brickbats.

We can only hope it is a Bonanza so I will have some help fending off the Cessnaites.

henryhighwood
06-09-2007, 11:46 PM
So far just an aviator that wants to own a bus.

Good eye Jon, it is from one of the finest aircraft builders, but you missed the second throttle.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Well Ted.....I have to express some concern. As you may have surmised the owner of 630SU needs help against Cessnaites. The reality is that he needs help, but not because of us.

I see from the picture it is not pressurized so it is either a 55 or 58.

Just avoid making further references to Beech vs Cessna and you will be OK. We will help you. We may even give you correct answers to your questions. I am very glad you acknowledge you plane is from ONE of the finest aircraft builders. Some here think their planes are the finest and fail to acknowledge the quality and utility of other owner's planes. (Those are the guys that fly forked tail doctor killers)

henryhighwood
06-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Jon,

Thanks for the advice. As the newest guy, I do not want to make any waves. ;) I did not mention any names, but have at times have owned wonderful flying machines from four different persuations and have enjoyed the strengths and utility of each. This one I have had for almost 20 years and have poured way too many dollars into that dark area behind the panel and under the glareshield.

It's a 55.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't say 'It is only a 55'....that show weakness and there are some on this site who prey on the weak. A 55 is a fine plane. And it has a tail with the correct configuration.

BTW, making waves on this site has been elevated to an Olympic level sport. Please dive in and join the fray.

If you want to get into airplane discussions there are plenty of us here, including some real pilots like Brian E. Be sure to include Lew when discussing aviation. He is a grump and it is one of the things that gets him awake.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey there Ted, For those of us that don't know what you guys are talking about , how about puting it in laymans terms. What do you have there for wings?
When I Googled Cessna 55 , well if I posted the link to it and asked you if that's what you had you'd probably want to punch me out.;)
Post some pictures. Until we meet in person that's all we live on:D

At this speed one picture will probably take 1/2 hr..

henryhighwood
06-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Hopefully this picture is attached, I believe that a picture was requested.
Once I find the right coach, I will have to get to work on the folding wing mod so that it will tow better.

henryhighwood
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Ah Jon,

I said it is a 55 proudly, I believe it was you that added the "only".
I'll let it slide... this time.

Jerry Winchester
06-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Tom,

Only here two days and YOU ARE THE MAN. I don't take any 210 crap off of A1, although Mike and I dutifully pointed out all three of the P210's the flew into OSH. ;)

But we need Jon to come hang with us at OSH. He was the only one to set in the awning with us that didn't get sunburned. I sat right next to the dude for 5 hours, in the shade, and I was torched. He must be made of asbestos.

And he has a keen eye for plane stuff so that adds to the repartee.

JDUB

Larry W
06-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Just can't set back and not get into this airplane discussion. I flew in Alaska for over 15 years. Not commerical. In my way of thinking every airpalne you guys talk about has the tailwheel on the wrong end. Of course how you use your airpalne must be considered. Have not flown now for 10 years as the lower 48 does not have much of my type of flying. Pavement to pavement is not my type of flying. Thats why we own a Prevost.
Larry W
2000 Royale

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2007, 08:34 AM
All my early flying was in a Champ. Does that count? And you may wish to talk to Brian E. I think he flies your type plane.

I'm still trying to understand how flying a taildragger relates to a Prevost. Wouldn't a taildragger be more analgous to a 4 X 4 with a slide-in camper?

At least you flew planes with the wings in the right spot.

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Larry, Were you flying the "Beaver"?

Ted is your plane a Beach Twin Bonanza? That was one I always wanted but that idea was lost many years ago!! Another plane I really liked was a Lockheed Loadstar, it is likened to a Prevost of the Air ( by me any way) When I was a kid hanging around the airport a local company Weatherhead had one fit out like a dream. It would take the owners to their lodge in the Mi. up. I would climb around in that baby and fantasize!

http://www.photographica.org/viewpic/25737 ("http://www.photographica.org/viewpic/25737")

:D :D

Larry W
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Have flown a beaver from the right seat, but 25 gallons a hour was a little to much for me. Had a Cessna 185 with PK 3500 floats, wheels and skis. A great airplane, also had a bush equiped Piper PA-18 (Super Cub) with a bunch of bush mods. The best of Bush planes
Larry
2000 Royale

Larry W
06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
OOPS, Did not see your post Jon.
After our 30 years in Alaska with very few roads we want to see our great land at a slower pace. That is why the Prevost.
Larry
2000 Royale

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Larry,

You sure picked the right way to see it. Except don't try to follow Roger. He drives at Super Cub speeds.

Jerry Winchester
06-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Larry,

I accept your pithy comments about the tailwheel and substitute my own reality. I have never ground looped a tricycle gear plane. But I'll bet if you can do it, Crak4U could be the man.

I own a plane to go places fast. I own a Prevost to see the country between the airports. However, it is easier to get the Bonanza worked on.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I own a plane to go places fast.

When did you trade?

henryhighwood
06-11-2007, 09:53 PM
As near as I can tell from reading the posts here, the fuel burn for a given trip will be just about the same for a coach as it is for the Baron. But the time and the view are of course the differing factors.
As for having the tailwheel at the wrong end, My earliest hours were in a Champ as well. My Citrabia got sold just a couple years ago.
I am looking forward to getting into a Prevost coach.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Depending on the year of coach you are seeking an 8V92 will typically get 5 to 6 MPG. A coach with a Series 60 (and rivets) will get between 7 and 8 MPG. A newer coach with a Series 60 and the newer emissions controls will be approaching 8V92 mileage.

BrianE
06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Ted,

Welcome to the nuthouse! As you can see, both the diverse and perverse are represented here, either one of which can switch hats in an instant. As you gain a little knowledge (our combined efforts) about these terrific machines, you and your bride will hopefully be entertained as well, (JDUB, Tom, you're on). There are no dumb questions on this forum however the answers are usually suspect unless they come from Jon.

As to the airplane stuff, it's all designed to irritate Lew, keep that in mind. I personally never flew an airplane I didn't like as long as it didn't have a forked tail. Larry, the Idaho back-country is a great place for the tailwheel Cessna, we continue to have a great time there in our beat-up old 185. By the way, I also learned to fly in a champ. :eek:

Larry W
06-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Jon
Roger may not drive at super cub speeds. My cub with 24 inch tundra tires or edo 2000 floats and very flat and long prop might not have been able to keep up with Roger. But then it would get off the ground in about 50 feet and land at about 30 MPH. That is what a cub is all about.

Just Plain Jeff
06-12-2007, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=BrianE;14830]Ted,

Welcome to the nuthouse! As you can see, both the diverse and perverse are represented here, either one of which can switch hats in an instant. As you gain a little knowledge (our combined efforts) about these terrific machines, you and your bride will hopefully be entertained as well, (JDUB, Tom, you're on). There are no dumb questions on this forum however the answers are usually suspect unless they come from Jon.
QUOTE]

Apparently Jon owes Brian serious money.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Brian just recognizes skill and wisdom when he sees it.

I should point out to Ted that this site is open to anybody with a $25.00 registration fee, and because it is so cheap we get wood shop workers with no intent to buy a coach, but who just like to stir the pot.

Ted, Ignore the little old guy with sawdust in his pants and pay attention to real bus owners who bring skills and knowledge to the table. You can separate the facts from the fertilizer as you read the various posts and it won't take long to understand we just humor some of the old guys with less than ten fingers.

Just kidding about the $25.00

It was really $10.00

Just Plain Jeff
06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
You paid to get onto this site?

For those who got in at the beginning and got the SDR, it's a free deal.

Otherwise that would be like paying for...ah, let me see...air?

Jon Wehrenberg
06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
JPJ, It is time to modify your location.

You no longer have a bus. You are rooted in your woodshop making sawdust and chopping off fingers.

Just Plain Jeff
06-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Modify my location? I am where I am. Oh, and BTW, at this moment I don't have a camper. "It ain't over 'til it's over," Yogi Berra.

henryhighwood
06-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am sure it is good advice.
Let's see, a prevost fanatic without a coach, but an accomplished woodworker?
Could it be a new conversion is taking shape and just waiting for the right shell to slip into?

lewpopp
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Now who said that JPJ was an accomplished woodworker.

He is an accomplished Prevost salesman!!!

I like JPJ and Helen because of his MENDACITY and he doesn't talk about flying on a Prevost forum. SO THERE !!!!

Lew

Journeyone144
06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello Everyone,
I've been offline for a week today...no Comcast land line and no Comcast puter either...I keep Earthlink as well as Comcast..so when I'm on the road in a rig I can get on-line on my laptop...but with no phone I could do nothing..lucky I had the Dolphin...went camping for a few days...took a girlfriend, her daughter, and each of our dogs...all three...!!!
I'm back an itching to type...about Pre's...
Then I saw all this chat about flying...
One time many years ago a friend took the flying course the Gov't offered mustered out servicemen...and I got a chance to go up with the him and the instructor...a few times...
AND the instructor, Ted... let me fly it...I had a ball...It was at Hanover Airport in, NJ...and I know the two planes we went up in that he let me try out...were a Piper Cub and a Cessna 8...Bet that tells you guys how long ago that was...That's all I remember ...I was too poor then and now to think about getting a license much less a plane...but it was wonderful...and I've never even heard anyone talk planes again until today...
You sure made my day after being off line and needing that fix for a whole week...
Now back to Pre's for me...Hugs Always Viv...

Jon Wehrenberg
06-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Viv,

With all the planes owned by folks on this site I'll bet you could wrangle more plane rides.

We all need excuses to fly more anyway.

Just Plain Jeff
06-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Holy cow. I can just see it now. The POG Air Force.

http://www.defensetech.org/images/pilot.jpg

henryhighwood
06-19-2007, 09:59 PM
If you like flying, it grabs ahold of you and never lets go.

Journeyone144
06-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Forgive me if I pass on that thought Jon,

I'm getting in enough trouble trying to find a Prevost... If I can do that...I'll have complete happiness the rest of my life...won't need boats or planes...just want to make ends meet...
Hugs Viv...

Journeyone144
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Morning,
A couple of weeks ago someone gave the name of a man who will travel to check out a possible buy for a price...
If that person sees this post would they please contact me privately or post the info again ...
I still favor the first Country Coach I saw and drove in Titusville Fl...and would like for someone to check it out for me...find out how approximately much repair expense I would be facing...
I can't help it ...It's the only one in the 50 or more that I've looked at that I LIKE and can afford comfortably...even tho' I know it's been frowned upon for several reasons...maybe I can live with them...I won't be able to drive more than a few more years and I'm alone...I have to buy soon...by this Nov..if I'm to buy at all...Need to sell my Dolphin and Coach House...also have a Lowrey Majesty LX/510 Organ that my husband paid 28K for and I would trade that to the right person too...
Also I would like to attend the Get Together I read about somewhere to be held in the northern mid west...not Ca...soon...
I'm now 82 years young and know my drivng days are numbered...I want to make my lifelong dream come true...Own my own diesel...I've driven hundreds for commercial companies...wouldn't it be fantastic to go off route knowing I couldn't be fired for doing it...
Have to keep a light note on it all...That's just me...Had a brand new picture taken at a graduation last week and will put it up here if I can find out again where to do it ...lol...

Many thanks Hugs Always Viv...

Can write me privately at journeyone144@yahoo.com anytime...especially when I'm on the road...and have to use dial-up on my laptop...so many of you have been sooo helpful and caring...I am really moved...

Jon Wehrenberg
06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Viv,

I know that you are placing a high value on appearance and have walked away from some because the decor was not pleasing to you, but that CC that is in The Great Outdoors shows every indication of being rode hard and put away wet.

I say that without hearing it run, or driving it, but based on a visual inspection I have a strong feeling the mechanical condition of the coach mirrors the cosmetic condition.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
We are Tom and Toni and own an '88 that I designed. it is a two bedroom, front kitchen with a center door. We love it. Just hit 105K miles. I will attempt to attach a few photos.

Here we go. . . . .

Here is another side entry or is it the same one???, anyway I wanted to show it again!

JIM:)

Funny when I preview the post there is no picture, RON M where are you???

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Maybe a different way?

Post Hi from a new member

Here we go. . . . .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version Name: current coach.jpg Views: 11 Size: 212.7 KB ID: 822

Attached Images