PDA

View Full Version : Shower Hot/Cold Mixing Valve Question

NashXL
10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
10/8

Hi All,

At the rally it was apparent that the shower hottest setting was not near as hot as the water from the sink and bath faucet. Checking the threads from search on here it sounds as though I need to remove the shower valve and check for calcium, etc. (soak in vinegar and/or Lime Away?). Question is how to remove. I removed the blend handle and cap. That threaded into a fitting which goes into the cover plate, Did not want to force any of this. Is there a process for getting this valve out? I do not see a name but could be a Grohe, Moen, Delta.
Thank you if anyone has advise.
This is for my 1999 Country Coach. Thanks posters.

Sincerely,

Doug
NashXL

coreygrubb
10-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Doug, been there-done that. If the valve does not just slip out(10% chance) you will need a puller. Both the puller and mix valve are readily available at Home Depot, Lowes etc.

NashXL
10-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Corey,

Do you have the mix valve brand/part no available? Would be great not to have to double back to HD after pulling the valve. I'll just figure on having to do the whole enchalada. Thank you.

Doug NashXL

gmcbuffalo
10-08-2013, 01:01 PM
A picture would help and helping you.

coreygrubb
10-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Doug, ours is and was a Moen

Gil_J
10-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Doug, the first thing you want to try is to take the shower knob off. Most knobs have a limiting ring that prevents the knob being turned to full hot. If you have this take it out and adjust it so it can go to full hot. If you need to remove the mixing valve you have to remove the retention clip first. Generally, it's a big spring clip. BTW, are both hot water heaters working? Doug, did we meet at the rally? I meant to look you up. With so many there we may have missed one another.

rfoster
10-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Nash, you don't show us who you converter is - but while in Nashville my Liberty was giving me almost cold showers. Fortunately Dave Wall was there from Liberty/ Motorhome Exchange and he readily identified my problem as a defective check valve coming out of the hot water heater. New valve - installed - Life is good!

garyde
10-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Hi Roger. I thought you liked cold showers!

NashXL
10-11-2013, 07:33 AM
10/11

Mornin and thanks to all who responded. I took the handle off and there is no limit setting on that. Just 360d of teeth on the shower valve side and matching teeth on the handle. There are no markings (Moen, Delta,etc.) on any of the surfaces. I took 3 pics with the phone but I cannot reduce the size. Will try to post here as is or take later with camera. This is for the Country Coach XL. Both water heaters are working well so it has to be the mixing valve. Did not want to force anything or worse have to call a plumber to go to a garage facility to work on this$$$. I pulled on the cover plate until I met resistance (you can see the small gap). Thanks guys.

Sincerely,

Doug
NashXL

rfoster
10-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Hey Gary: Missed seeing you in Nashville, Don't need cold showers anymore- you know what I mean.

NashXL
10-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Pictures posted and further help requested. Thank you.

Doug
NashXL

gmcbuffalo
10-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Nash when you turn on just the hot water what kind of flow do you get? Does it flow was much as the cold water side? Do you have a manifold in one of the bays with an on and off valve for the shower? Could there be something in line limiting the flow?

NashXL
10-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Greg,

The pressure is consistent from cold to hot. There are manifolds and there is a hot and cold for each sink and the shower. Thought about turning the shower cold more towards close but figured that was not the right answer. More likely the shower handle valve is clogged or calcified like they get at home according to weigh-in from some other Pogers.

Sincerely,

Doug
NashXL

Gil_J
10-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Doug, with constant pressure between hot and cold, it isn't sounding like the mixing valve. But with hot water everywhere else that seems like the culprit. Turn off the cold water at the manifold just to make sure. With the valve closed you should get hot water (likely) or nothing (unlikely).

The valve must come apart further. If it didn't the trim ring couldn't be installed.

Pete
10-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Doug, if you can't get the shower head apart, try soaking the shower head in a vessel of white vinegar for a couple of days. If it is calcium buildup, this should free it up. Don't expect it to work overnight, but it should after a couple of days. Make sure it gets vinegar on the inside of the head as well. (Just an old country solution, but it normally works)

garyde
10-11-2013, 10:16 PM
check the bottom side of the valve & cover for a small allen wrench screw. You may want to use some WD 40 on the valve stem covers, they may just unscrew. If nothing, take photos & check with your local plumber or plumbing house.

gmcbuffalo
10-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Have you tried to twist the extension off?

NashXL
10-21-2013, 10:10 AM
10/21

Thanks Gents. will check all these options. Finishing up the plumbing in the next day or two.

Sincerely,

Doug NashXL

PrevostNewbie
05-13-2023, 12:51 PM
I Just installed the Grohe Mixer. Very happy with the results so far. With the water temperature preset, we just turn it on and go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X2TVZG3?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Fratto
05-14-2023, 03:13 PM
I replaced the one in My 1998 cc. My very rough notes are as follows. May be of some help?

​Speakman CPV-3400
CPV-3000 IS
CPV-P-IS

Speakman Repair Part RPG05-0843 Mark II shower cartridge (probably not the right one)

Also maybe the cap and O-ring

U-tube says
RPG05-0412/0413 Can find it on Amazon and this maybe the right one as it references the number on the cap.

Marks Plumbing
817-731-6211 (tel:817-731-6211)
3312 Ramona Drive
7:00 Am to 5:00 PM (http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/x-apple-data-detectors://embedded-result/326)
Their part number is 33430 for $152.53