PDA

View Full Version : Generator not producing A/C power?

jbchevy3
09-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Started the Generator today's manually, and then started it through the #1 Inverter. Starting it through the inverter, the AC2 light flashes and never goes solid, no A/C power, even after several minutes, then the Generator tries to shut down.
Then, started it manually, no AC in 2 lights at all, Inverter yellow light on steady inverting.
I went outside to the gen, and started it there, and checked the voltage at the Generator breaker, and it was only reading 15.4 volts. On both sides of the breaker.
Anyone have any ideas as to what to check? It seems to work at times, and other times not, which may lead to a bad relay or something. Hoping its not inside the Stator or something.
It's a 17.5 Powertech.

Gil_J
09-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Based on it working at times, I'd look at the generator's AC neutral. Measure the voltage between the AC output at the breaker and the generator's neutral, at the generator. If that doesn't help, call PowerTech in the morning.

jbchevy3
09-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks Gil, I just went out to the bus, reset both inverters ( just in case), manually started the gen, I had 120v for about 5 min, then the voltage dropped to 85, then while I was watching my meter , it dropped down to 15.4v again.
I'm suspecting the voltage regulator now. Taking your advice, and calling them in the morning.

Gil_J
09-18-2013, 07:01 AM
Jerry,

That's disappointing. They are only about 25 miles from me. Maybe, I should pay them a visit.

With the number of standby generators out there, there should be several local service centers to choose from. Regardless of make, most of the generators are quite similiar. The PowerTech manual has some troubleshooting information. I haven't looked at it. I'll take a look.

Did you test voltage between the phases (measure across the generator breakers). This will isolate the neutral as the possible problem.

JIM KELLER
09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
MAN I'm sorry to hear this !

JIM KELLER
09-18-2013, 10:33 AM
OK..... Contacted Jeff Jones, Service Manager at Power Tech. They temporarily do not do service work at their facility in Leesburg. They do have a repair facility in Ocala. Diversified Power in Stockbridge, Ga. has been associated with Power Tech for over 20 years. The owner, Lenny has had a good reputation of responding to customer requests in the past per Jeff Jones. Mr. Jones said to feel free to call his direct number 352 435 4416 and he will put you in touch with another provider if you do not hear from or are unhappy with Diversified Power. Jeff Jones has also been with Power Tech for 20 years and understands the importance on Customer Service. Let us know how this turns out.

coreygrubb
09-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Instead of screwing around with Power-Tech, just go to Prevo in Nashville or Jacksonville, whichever is closer.

jbchevy3
09-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Jim/Gil,

Just spoke with Jeff Jones with Powertech, he took care of the problem. I am set up now with a repair facility in Ocala to get it fixed next week. I'll report back afterwords. The stator is fried.

thanks for your input.

Gil_J
09-18-2013, 08:32 PM
That's almost my backyard. Where did they send you?

jbchevy3
09-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Van-Mor, in Ocala. I think they do upfit on all sorts of vehicles, buses, trucks, vans etc.

jbchevy3
09-27-2013, 03:02 PM
This is how my repair went for the above problems:

Jeff Jones, at Powertech, was very nice, and helpful. He immediately took care of the problem, by coordinating with his nearest repair facility in Ocala, FL. Jeff, also, was able to determine the problem, and what parts it would take to fix it. He was exactly right in that I needed a complete Generator end, along with a new Voltage regulator. All the correct parts were in stock, and I did not have to wait for anything.
Powertech's nearest repair facility was a short distance away in Ocala, FL. Gerald and Johnny at Van-Mor Industries, were very nice, had a clean, well equipped shop to perform the repair, and were able to do it all in 1 day, without having to remove the Generator, which was amazing to me, with the way Vantare had installed the Generator. (basically no room to work on).
I would highly recommend Jeff Jones at Powertech, if any of you have a problem, AND, Van-Mor as well in Ocala Fl. for any repairs, they do just about anything there.

I now have a solid 120v per side, and the Inverters are happy again.........as well as me.

thanks Jim/Gil

JIM KELLER
09-27-2013, 06:04 PM
I was wondering how you made out as we rolled through Byron yesterday on our way to the Nashville Rally. Glad this story had a happy ending and thanks for the update.

Joe Camper
09-28-2013, 07:57 PM
I have Ben Wilmores 97 XL Liberty for the next couple of weeks. He was one of the first dozen POGers One of the things on the squack list is the gen. The head is ruined IMO. It can be heard loudly chattering right before it stops putting out power. It will need to come out so it can be seporated. If the exciter is not damaged or the case has not been chewed it can be repaired. Hoping for the best but I expect the case is chewed its a loud chatter it makes. Im going to reinsulate the compartment while im in there with stuff from Sundown the 2in with the white mylar face. Ill post some pictures.

JIM KELLER
09-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Hey Joe, did Ben get his Flxible Starliner completed and where is Ben ?