PDA

View Full Version : Lost Static Strap

Gil_J
09-14-2013, 05:20 PM
My static strap gave up the ghost and left the coach. I have a new one and can't see were the old one was bolted. I'm pretty sure it was near the middle on the driver's side. Anyone know where it was bolted to the frame?

Sid Tuls
09-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Gil, I don't know the answer but do want to ask a question--how important are they? Over the past 6 years I've put on 3. I just went out side and yep my 3rd one is gone also. I'm in Mira loma Prevost for an overnite stop so i wont be here when they open on Monday to post an answer to your question

Gil_J
09-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Sid,

I'm not sure they have any value. The interior materials don't lend themselves to accumulating static. While plugged in, there would be of no value. My guess is they were installed as the sole method of providing a safety ground when on generator power. If you have any voltage leakage to ground while on generator power you could get a mild shock when standing outside and touching most metal surfaces on the coach. I wouldn't consider it a safety ground but it's better than driving a ground rod anytime you are soley on generator power.

They can't hurt anything and they re only 8 bucks.

truxton
09-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Sid, you need to stop driving thru the cow pasture. Why are you there? Why didn't you come to the desert?

jbchevy3
09-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Gil,
Mine is bolted in the middle of the coach against one of the metal braces that go around the opening for the metal grill where the hot air comes down out of my central A/C unit.

Richard J Warren
09-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Static straps are real important. They stop electralis on aluminum wheels, stops the static zap when you walk
across carpet or slide across your car or bus seat, also helps to keep your vehicle cleaner " less road film", helps
stop static buildup in your engine as well as wheel bearings. I should stop here, I'm getting winded. but one more
thing, it really helps stop the rivets from corroding on the bus.:cool:

dale farley
09-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Sounds like it might be the best $8 anyone could invest in a Prevost.

JIM KELLER
09-19-2013, 02:30 PM
WOW ! I had no idea. Someome needs to bring a box of them to Nashville and we can have an install party.

Gil_J
09-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Electrolysis prevention, that's something I didn't consider. Electrolysis is a major concern in the marine environment, especially in saltwater, but I never considered it on the road. I wonder what the real possibility of electrolysis is on the road. I see some complaining of bubbling paint near aluminum rivets on some kind of vehicle. Although electrolysis would do that, there are reasons this could happen. Whatever the rationale, I'm still going to put my $9 static strap back when I can find the bolt it was attached to. Maybe, I can do that tomorrow when a couple tires are being installed. Here's the one I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRHM3E/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JIM KELLER
09-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Gil, Spray everything above and below the windshield with Silicone. It really helped me.

JIM KELLER
09-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Gil, Spray everything above and below the windshield with Silicone. It really helped me.

Dale, Is there a way I can move this to another Thread where it actually belongs. You started a Thread about Love Bugs and after I posted this I realized what I should have done. Actually a lot of mine are in the wrong place. As Members can we give authorization to relocate our posts when they are in areas that would make it difficult for someome else to do research on a particular topic ? Or....is the confusion and disorganization what makes this Site unique.