PDA

View Full Version : Luxury tow vehicle options - help please

gavanj
09-14-2013, 02:09 PM
I see all MBZ/BMW, etc SUV's do not allow dinghy towing for various FT 4 x 4 reasons, etc. I once had a Range Rover in 2005 that you could tow and loved it. Our new RR you can't tow, or so I have been told. I want something higher end to put behind my XLII, but other than the Caddy SRV (smallish), I have not found much. Any ideas? Anyone successfully modified something? Thank you.

Gil_J
09-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Maybe a Lincoln

coreygrubb
09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Why don't you put the Rolls in a trailer or anything else you want to bring. Otherwise the next best thing may be a Hummer.

garyde
09-14-2013, 10:55 PM
The new 2014 Jeep Grand Wagoner is very nice.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoDM1Nvf6Ug

rickdesilva
09-15-2013, 10:10 AM
In the luxury segment, assuming you are talking about Auto trans, there is really nothing towable from the factory unless you consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit or a fully equipped Tahoe with the 2 speed electronic transfer case. It appears that the manufacturers are walking away from this subject and Remco has really limited the pump packages that they make for the non-approved units.

otto
09-15-2013, 11:09 PM
We had to go with a dolly for our van(we have to use a conversion van with a wheelchair ramp). We explored installing a pump system for the transmission but too many people warned against it. The van converter originally told us we could tow the van with a pump but then Chrysler would never give us anything in writing that they would honor the new car warranty. I had to settle on using a dolly. The dolly has not been as much of a pain as I originally thought it would be but it does take a few minutes extra to properly put the front wheels onto the dolly.

Gil_J
09-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Rick, is right that many manufacturers are running away from liability. Many of their vehicles are still towable. In 2012, Ford still approved wheels down towing. I believe that included the Lincoln line. The only restriction being how long you can tow between running the engine to get transmission fluid moving and spped, which they limit to 65 mph.

gavanj
09-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the input all. I am going to check the Lincoln Navigator out. I looked at the Grand Cherokee, good car. BTW, I do not have a Rolls, I meant our new Range Rover Corey, thanks. The trailer thing I have seen and is kind of cool, just trying to avoid one more thing to park.

gavanj
09-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks again everyone. I ended up with a 2014 Cadillac SRX. Kind of an SUV/station wagon thing. All the latest bells and whistles, $40K.