PDA

View Full Version : On board water hose

LarryB
09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
My bus water hose is discoloring a dark brown and is very sticky. I don't see any foreign leaks or sources of something dripping on the hose nor has the hose been in anything that could have caused this.

I have a CC XLV and many may know the reel had the bus built around it seemingly inaccessible. I would like to change the hose if that is doable. My reel is a Reel Master. The reel seems to function OK and the hose is OK just has the crud on it and nothing seems to clean or cut the crud.

Thanks for the help.

garyde
09-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi Larry. You can reel the hose out and cut it off near the reel and put on a coupler and a new hose.

LarryB
09-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi Gary, thanks for the idea. I don't have a lot of luck with hose ends and couplings, they always seem to leak--- Murphy's Law ya know.

JIM KELLER
09-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Larry, is it mold or mildew ?

Gil_J
09-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Mine is doing the same near the end. I was chalking it up to UV exposure, which may be totally wrong. I cut that foot or so of hose off and put a new fitting on. I carry a drinking water hose, so I'm not concerned with the loss of a foot or so.

dreamchasers
09-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Access to the water hose reel is achievable, but you will need to remove a few panels. As I recall, you can gain access by removing panels from the water fixture bay. Open the bay that has the water faucet (and drawers). On the right hand side of the bay, next to where the water hose exits the coach, remove the long narrow panel. This panel covers the water hose reel. This will give you limited access. You can access the hose connector at this point if you wish to replace the entire hose. For greater access, the panel covering the hot water heaters or the opposite panel is the sewer bay will need to be removed. Good Luck.

LarryB
09-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks Hector for the guidance. I am off to the bus to uncover the hose connector this morning.

Gil, I have a good 15 feet of hose discolored and the entire hose is sticky.

Jim, seem like the "STUFF" is in the hose material, it won't wipe off with anything I have tried. It is almost as if the vinyl/rubber?? is breaking down. Gil may be correct about UV damage.

LarryB
09-11-2013, 10:36 PM
I got the old hose off the reel and out of the bus. Not a bad job but the pipe fitting on the hose to reel was very hard to remove as the hose would twist with the fitting and I could not get hold of the hose to hold it. I cut the hose and then twisted it to remove the final few threads of the pipe coupling. Will order a replacement hose from Reel Craft unless I find a better source. I live in a small town and the locals don't crimp water hose fittings.

JIM KELLER
09-12-2013, 07:31 AM
I got the old hose off the reel and out of the bus. Not a bad job but the pipe fitting on the hose to reel was very hard to remove as the hose would twist with the fitting and I could not get hold of the hose to hold it. I cut the hose and then twisted it to remove the final few threads of the pipe coupling. Will order a replacement hose from Reel Craft unless I find a better source. I live in a small town and the locals don't crimp water hose fittings.

Larry, Does it look like the entire reel assembly could ever be replaced through that opening ?

bluevost
09-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Better late than never--Amorall did a great job of cleaning my hose once, it's now turning brown again (2 yrs. later), time to do it again.
Ken

LarryB
09-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Jim, Maybe, but, you would have to move a bunch of stuff, water lines, wires, maybe more panels from both bays. It's nice to pull the hose out from the center of both bays but it will really be a job to replace the reel.

Ken, I did use armorall but it didn't do much.

I always wipe the hose off as I reel it in with one of those 'Clorox' disinfecting wipes. I wonder if they contributed to the problem?