PDA

View Full Version : Pdi

Stelan73
01-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and have enjoyed reading all the various posts. My wife and I are picking up an H3 from Liberty next week and would appreciate any advice on what to look for on the PDI. Thanks

Just Plain Jeff
01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Welcome and congratulations on your new coach! We, of course, would like to know as much as possible. Please PM your complete financial records and private diaries.

In the old days, "PDI" meant "Put Diesel In." However, when working with a top conversion company, you will likely find that the coach will be operating to original factory specifications. The most important thing to remember is take your time while at Liberty. Learn the coach well, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Many years ago I saw a couple receiving their new coach and they video-taped the entire walk-through, which at the time seemed a bit much. In retrospect, do keep a record of anything that may not make sense or seems to be too much over the top. Take a day, two, perhaps three and make sure you know how to work everything and get your questions answered while you are there and any supplementary tweaks or fixes. Much easier there than down the road.

I was kiddin' about the private stuff.

If you have trouble, don't be afraid to post here. There are NO stupid questions. As to the answers, wel...

Stelan73
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Jeff: Thanks for the advice. We'd send the financial stuff but we're still in witness protection.

Just Plain Jeff
01-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Aha!

You're going to do very well here, indeed!

C'mon, we're at least gonna have to see some pics...

rmboies
01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and have enjoyed reading all the various posts. My wife and I are picking up an H3 from Liberty next week and would appreciate any advice on what to look for on the PDI. Thanks

Congratulations and welcome to POG! Witness protection program, interesting;) I was going to recommend videotaping or at least audiotaping.

If you are like us, we always tell ourselves we will remember and then promptly lose the grey matter data when we need it the most! I would love to see pics of your new coach.

truk4u
01-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Congratulations and welcome aboard! Tell us about the Liberty as soon as you can, we have some "H" wannabees lurking around here.:D

merle&louise
01-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Congratulations and welcome to POG. Tell us a little about your H3; we are more nosey than we are curious. Just kidding, try to make the rally in Kerrville and show off that H3.

Glad to have a new member Stelan:D

MangoMike
01-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Stelar one,

Welcome to POG. Purchasing a Liberty directly from Liberty means you're getting one of the best PDI's available, unless of course you're related by blood to Jon.

If you can afford the time, I would live at Liberty in your new H3 for a couple of days and run everything. Including at least a 12 hours with the generator as your power source. Any problems should arise then and you'll have a tech available in your backyard.

And yes, let's see some pixs.

And "postman" Jeff doesn't need your financial info as he's already plugged in.

Mike
97 Liberty XL1

Jon Wehrenberg
01-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Stelan,

You shouldn't have to worry about the condition of your coach. Liberty will see to it that it is flawless.

The advice you have gotten is excellent. You absolutely need to live in it, use it and operate all of the systems while you are at Liberty so you can learn and ask questions. Absorbing all you need to know in a few days is like drinking from a fire hose.

I would urge you to start a detailed maintenance record book because you coach will need maintenance and it is complex because some things get replaced based on the calendar, some base on miles and some based on condition. You cannot remember it all, so go over every single maintenance item and if there is no record or known date or mileage when the service was performed, get it done now.

There are the obvious things that everybody seems to know and understand as far as when to schedule maintenance, but then there are the not so obvious, such as the air dryer, or the brake chambers.

If you don't have the books for every device, component or appliance work with Liberty to get them. You will not believe how critical that may be when you are in east nowhere and you don't know how to get the widget to work.

And sign up now for POG III. You will learn more than you can imagine. Which coach did you get?

merle&louise
01-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Stelan,

Here is something that you might check in your PDI. If you experience tons of rain in Stuart in the next few days, you might want to drive the bus at highway speeds in the heavy rains to check for any leaks. I know that Ben Wilmore discovered some leaks in his Liberty that did not surface in the PDI in Stuart. He found the leaks while in Oregon I believe. Caulking the window leaks is an easy fix, but it would be an easy check if the rain comes pouring down!

Just one more test while the bus is in Stuart!:D

jello_jeep
01-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Howdy Stelan, welcome aboard ~!~

Joe Cannarozzi
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Warren

Do your Jeeps wiggle:p

Stelan73
01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep everyone posted. We plan on "camping out" in Stuart for 3 nights, so send food (no MREs) and diesel.

MangoMike
01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
so send food (no MREs) and diesel.

Or in JDUB's case

send Lawyers, guns and money!

mm

garyde
01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Congradulations on your Liberty. I had a great experience @ Liberty when I picked up my Coach. I spent a day and a half with the Liberty people and it wasn't enough . I was very anxious to drive my new Coach back toCalifornia.
I had the Cell # of the Service Manager and it came in handy several times. My coach operated flawlessly on the 3000 mile trip. I just needed more orientation on what everything operates and how. Liberty is there when you need them, and they know their Coach.
The Service Dept. went thru my Coach from front to back and repaired,cleaned, replaced, updated, and Serviced not just the Conversion but the Prevost as well. It was like new when I picked it up. Have a great time . Gary

jello_jeep
01-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Warren

Do your Jeeps wiggle:p

Joe, only when I'm lonely! :D

Jerry Winchester
01-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Now I'll bet Mike has never eaten an MRE, so don't pay attention to him. However, you will need to check on the phenomenon known to most on this board as "Spontaneous Liberty Combustion".

I know it was an H, but did they figure out what caused the immolation?

Get some of those peanut butter crackers and sleep light for the first few days. :D

And welcome to the POG. Plenty of turd heads on this board, so PM me for the official list of people to ignore. AssCrak4U is the at the top of the list.

jello_jeep
01-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Now I'll bet Mike has never eaten an MRE, so don't pay attention to him.

The dehydrated strawberries are the best, pears ain't bad..

The new heat packs for the entrees are spiffy ;)

garyde
01-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh Yea. One more thing. If you see a post from a guy named Jerry W. its best to not respond to him. It will cause your computer severe Gas.

Ben
01-05-2007, 03:07 AM
If you haven't paid for the coach yet, then make sure to inspect and comment on anything cosmetic before the final payment is made and make fixing/updating it part of the deal (be sure to check your side mirrors for peeling).

Try EVERYTHING. That means turn on the heat even though it might be warm in Florida... try the washer/dryer... inspect every bulb and dash light to make sure it's working... play a CD in the dash and bedroom... watch TV, check that the light works in the microwave... if the convection oven doesn't have the normal rack and other accessories, then ask about it. They will be VERY helpful in making sure everything is good before you really head out... but after that you have to wait for appointments, etc. So, get as much fixed as you can during the first week, etc. I'd suggest you take a trip in FL. Maybe go to Key West and then plan to pass by Liberty on your way out of the state to get any last items dealt with.

If you happen to bring the coach to Prevost and it ends up on a lift... walk under the coach and ask as many quesitons as you can think of... and if there is anything wet under there, then ask why and how to get it fixed while you're still on Liberty's dime.

If you're thinking of customizing anything, see if Liberty will help... don't talk to your sales person on this part... talk to the main guy who's in charge of your coach in the Liberty shop. They want to make you happy... so they will make a shelf for you, tear out a sofa, etc.

If they put that sticky crap over your carpets (the clear plastic that is often on it when they show the coach but is removed when you pick it up), then have them shampoo the carpets after you're done packing the bus with your stuff.

When you first start moving your stuff in... take off your shoes everytime you enter (unless you have tile everywhere), otherwise you're carpet will get really dirty due to the sticky stuff... see above.

Be especially strict about the cruise airs... if they are too noisy, or have any problem... bring it up during the first few days. They will often replace units when you are in this beginning phase... it's much more difficult to talk them into it when you are no longer near the mothership.

Try to get a full list of what was changed in your PDI... did you get new tires? new batteries? It's good to know where you're starting because it's harder to get info later. Also ask for a copy of the coach file from Liberty Chicago... it contains your paint codes and a detailed list of everything in your coach.

You should also get a full Prevost and Liberty manual, so make sure it's in your coach. They should also give you a form to fill out for your leather jacket and shirts from Liberty... make sure you got it and turn it in.

If your coach doesn't have Liberty folding chairs (4 usually), or a Liberty mat for outside the front door, then ask about it. Say you heard that every Liberty comes with it and was wondering what happened to them.

Be sure to look close at the front windshield to make sure there are no tiny rock cracks and inspect the paint and sound pissy if anything doesn't look good so they might get it fixed. If the driver/passenger side windows have condensation, then have them replace them... don't ask... they you have to have it done for safety reasons... but only if you notice the common problem.

Take some time to read the manual and ask as many questions as you can think of. And try all the tiny stuff... like does the tag dump switch actually cause a buzzer to sound and does the water tank warning buzzer go off at the right point, etc.

I know it's a lot to think about... but having a PDI is awesome! Try to get as much fixed while you are there so you don't have to deal with it later. Also, plan on passing by Prevost in Jacksonville on your way out of town just in case you find anything after leaving Liberty. Liberty has an accound with Prevost so you shouldn't have to pay a dime for anything they have to do.

Finally, use your coach as much as possible in the first three months. That's when Liberty is still fresh and wants to help. Once it gets to be 5-6 months out, you'll notice them starting to act a little cheap and trying to ween you from their free services. You can always call Troy (service manager) to ask questions... even if you've owned it for years, but that doesn't mean they will always cover your repair costs.

Hope that helps.

merle&louise
01-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Ben,

How long is the warranty on a used Liberty?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Tuga,

On our first coach, at pre FMCA rallies Liberty was repairing items at no charge even though the coach was over 10 years old. We had a microwave making noise when we drove and all I did was ask about the noise and what I had to do to quiet it down.

They scheduled two guys to come to the coach, they determined it was coming loose from its structural mounts, they removed it, reinforced the structure and replaced it. No charge.

I don't know what their policy is, but I know they go far beyond what should be expected of them to support the coach. Just being able to call them and get answers to questions is worth its weight in gold. And they have helped me with some complex questions always taking the time necessary.

What everybody does have to realize is that the Liberty portion of the coach is quite trouble free, and when a Liberty installed device fails it is not that Liberty screwed up, but that the device wore out or broke. Almost all of my repair and maintenance work is on the Prevost shell, and that is not a criticism of Prevost, just an acknowledgement that the shell is what is getting the most wear and tear, and Liberty really has no responsibility in that area.

truk4u
01-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Stelan,

Good advise from everyone especially Gary, beware of the flame snuffer from Texas, aka, turd boy, anaconda boy, JDUB, crack man, as his specialty is dealing with stinky things like toilets, black tanks, poop, flapper valves, butt crack etc.

Aren't you glad you hooked up with this bunch of wacko's!:D

Gary, you may have moved up one notch on butt boy's list!:p

Jon Wehrenberg
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
The sad part of this is that the new guy probably read some of what the nutcases on this site wrote and talked about, and he still asked us for advice.

Makes me convinced he is as crazy as the rest of the membership.

garyde
01-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Ben, I really like your list. I believe Liberty does a good job of going thru a Coach and fixing , and updating. I was told Liberty will spend up to $40,000.00 on a used coach for resale. Maybe thats hyperbole but I have read it is their policy and part of their buisness plan. It is true they will not warrenty everything, I hae paid for several items just 3 months after purchase. But I do not expect them to cover everything on a used Coach. I did get a letter from Liberty recently, which was from Detroit Deisel allowing for a 2 year extension on warrenty for a nominall fee. I like that kind of follow thru. Gary

Ben
01-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Liberty does not list a length to their warranty. I don't think it's really a warranty... instead their PDI will insure that everything is operational in your coach and they will make sure the issues that come up over its breaking in period (the time it takes for you to experience differences in temp, put some miles on it, hit bumps, etc.) are taken care of.

I pushed them at POG I in an attempt to find out how long they will cover problems and they said something to the effect of "about six months".

If you use your coach a good amount, then you should have every pre-existing problem dealt with by the time Liberty stops paying for stuff and you'll always be able to call and ask questions. It's once all the existing issues have been worked through and you start getting problems due to lots of use or stuff that obviously had nothing to do with the condition the coach was in when you purchased it that you might start having to pay to get things fixed.

Another tip: Troy (service Manager) is not usually the best person to get authorization for out of shop repairs (like when you're at Prevost, DD, or another convertor)... I find it's much better to talk to your sales person. Just call them BEFORE you get the work done and they are usually more than willing to make you happy. They really do want anyone who owns a Liberty to have the best ownership experience and have you talk to your friends about how much you liked it.

Stelan73
01-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Well tomorrow is the big day when we pick up "The Lady G." We appreciate all the advice. Wish us luck and we'll see everyone at POGIII.

rfoster
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
STELAN73 Congrats: Don't Forget, Pictures Required!!:cool:

Ben
01-07-2007, 10:52 PM
STELAN73... are you going to be at Liberty for a few days? I might pass by there on Tuesday to dump/fill and possibly stay the night.

Be sure to get the gate code to you can get in after hours... they sometimes seem to forget unless you ask.

garyde
01-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Stelan. I am sure you will have a great time. Make sure to talk them out of a few shirts. Gary

Stelan73
01-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Ben: We will be there Tuesday PM. Would love to say hello.