PDA

View Full Version : Name These Tools

Joe Camper
09-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Had to make these. What R they 4.1137011371

Gil_J
09-09-2013, 07:39 AM
The block is to hold something up. The other is a walking cane in case the the block fails.

Joe Camper
09-09-2013, 08:49 PM
The block is a seal driver for the pinion seal. That would be the front seal of the rear end. To repair a leak like that U need to drop the driveshaft and remove the pinion nut and pull off that yoke the pinion nut is holding in place. The other tool is a yoke bar. When U reinstall the yoke that nut holding it in the spline of the pinion gear has to be TIGHT. Real tight. If u just stick a 1in impact up there without using a yoke bar what u r doing is rapping the pinion gear against the ring gear and that aint no good. The yoke bar prevents damage to the ring and pinion when fixing a leaky rear end. (Only very good mechanics will take this step ;)) If u have ever tried to replace a seal by tapping it with other type implements the chance of frustration exzists due to the way the opposite end u r tapping wants to keep popping out. Any time u r putting a seal a block at lease as big as the entire seal is the ticket 1 good wack and its in and started. This driver needed to be a block because the spline of the pinion sticks out this far past the seat for that seal.113771137811379

Gil_J
09-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Joe,

I'm always impressed with the methods and special tools you use to get the job done. BTW, there's grease under your fingernail in the one photo. How did that happen ;-)

Anyone that doesn't learn a thing or two from Joe just isn't listening.

JIM KELLER
09-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Joe, Are you doing this job on the Railroad Right Of Way ?

Joe Camper
09-10-2013, 07:52 AM
No my current location is paved in common bricks. All free compliments of previous demolition jobs all over New York City over the past few decades. First U get paid to take them to the dump. Then U save the tipping fees by taking them home instead. Then U save again by not having to buy concrete. I estimate 2 miles of road 3 lanes wide on this farm plus a few courtyards all paved in brick. A very nice place too work.