PDA

View Full Version : Switching to LED's

dalej
01-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi Everyone, thought I would give you this link, http://midwestleds.com/lights.htm to help with switching your lights. I have to finish posting a few photos but this might help answer some questions.

MangoMike
01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Dale,
Were those photos of your bus? Nice job on the tail lights. Who did you send the Cad file to do the laser cutting?

Happy New Year
Mike

dalej
01-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Mike, I found a company close to me that has a lazer cutter. I worked with them to cut any graphics out. I use Illustrator CS and export it to .dxf for him to run in his program to cut with. We are doing Stainless Steel graphics for pickups and Semi-trucks. It will replace vinyl if you want a more chrome look. I had Prevost cut in the wheel covers at POGII.

Harry, win42 says his son and he can do it also. I have been talking to him, the freight is the issue, ss weights a lot more then vinyl.

Ray Davis
01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
So did I understand the pictures (3rd row, two pictures) correctly. Those are now your tailights. Unlit, they appear white/clear, but lit they are red?

Ray Davis
01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Dale,

I'm curious, what is the timeframe, if you had the bezel already cut, to change out the tail lights for example. I'm thinking of another POG3 session. ON a similar topic, has anyone ever changed out their headlights to something newer? Mine are pretty dim, but that's sorta standard for a 93 era vehicle. Looking for options.

dalej
01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Ray, I personally think that the mirrored clear led lights are going to be the go to light. They match so well with chrome and polished ss. They are clear, then light up amber or red.

On the time frame, I figure a week turnaround, after the graphic is approved, but that usually take the time. I like custom graphics, so by the time you do a few emails back and forth, there goes another week.

Ray Davis
01-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks Dale. Assume you already had a bezel and got that done upfront, could you swap out an entire set of tail lights within the timeframe of a POG session?

Or perhaps an easier session would be changing out some side lights? They only require tapping the ground wire, right?

Again, thinking of sessions for POG3

dalej
01-03-2007, 08:55 PM
If you come up with a bus find out if its 12 or 24 volts. This part of the conversion takes the longest. If its 12v you could figure a couple hours per side by the time you finish all the wiring. 24v and you need to convert to 12 so that part takes the longest, figure 4 hours for that part alone. If you find a coach let me know and I can get all the parts lined up. Or just let me know if you need help.

dalej
01-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I finally finished posting all the photos on our bus. I think everthing went well. I decided to add 5 more tail lights above the PREVOST sign on the back. Let me know where and if I should add more... or take some off!

Its been a fun project. You can check them out at http://midwestleds.com/lights

merle&louise
01-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Dale,

Beautiful job, fantastic!

Do you do Newells?

Joe Cannarozzi
01-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Dale really nice improvement and very well done as well.

The new additional lites across the top of the doors look fine.

Having both the same year bus and also purchased (limited) some LED stuff for the truck I'm curious. How much do $ you have invested in the lights.

WE bought our stuff for the truck some time ago when they first came out and I know the price has come down some.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Joe,

Those LED guys will never admit how much they have invested in their bling. First of all the invested amount exceeds the cost of a new coach, and secondly, if momma ever found out how much they were spending and not getting anything for it (a light is a light is a light).....well you know what I mean.

The anti LED man.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-07-2007, 08:40 AM
You better hope we dont catch you with any LED in the cabin:eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
01-07-2007, 09:09 AM
None yet, Joe. So far I am dodging that bullet.

If I have to change a light bulb every now and then, it is worth it to be able to break some chops.

In a year or two these guys will change back to the retro look.

dalej
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Joe I ran out of calculator paper...I'll post the amount soon! ;)

Jon Wehrenberg
01-07-2007, 07:46 PM
AHA...an honest man willing to admit bling cost money.

With the interest earned on the money I saved by resisting LEDs may be enough to buy that new Liberty I am going to see in person at the Rally the end of the month.

rfoster
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Dale: Great Job, Looks Great, Make Jon's Mouth water!!, When he makes those kind of remarks, he is really telling you that he likes those Lights!!

He doesn't need to save money on LEDS, he needs to spend lewbucks on LEDS!

Maybe you could come with a die cut "Anal One" for the back of the bus.

Did you buy the impact wrench yet?

lewpopp
01-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Dale

That was no easy job and it looks great. An awful lot of hard work was done but you must have a lot of experience on this sort of project.

You'll be right up front doing the "show and tell" thingie at POGIII.

Just Plain Jeff
01-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Don't listen to Jon about LED's.

When the Rural Electrification Act came in during the 1930's in New York State, he fought it tooth and nail.

Records indicate that he said, "I'm not gonna let the government know how much power MY factory uses!" It is said that he was the last to give up the water wheel (drought year).

Do what you want. BTW most over-the-road truck trailers are going LED as incandescent replacement is about 10X that of LEDs.

truk4u
01-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I got your back Jon boy, stay on the dark side!;)

Jon Wehrenberg
01-08-2007, 07:47 AM
It's bad enough the airplane guys on another forum pull my chain about their glass panels that replaced their steam gauges, but now I got to put up with similar BS from the "all show and no go" crowd on this forum.

What is worse is the LEDs are apparently replacing prefectly good, fully functioning lights. No wonder Prevost owners get a bad rap from the average RV owners. They act like they have Lewbucks to burn.

Surely there must be another owner out there willing to stand along side of me to fight this flagrant display of disposable income?

win42
01-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Jon: I detect a tinge of hipocrasy here from someone who spent a lot of lewbucks on led's in an attempt to win the bling award @ POG2.
Some of us with older Prevosts still have 24V marker and clearance lights that are burning up the bulb holders that were designed for 12V and installed by Prevost. I'm in need of tail light replacements for this very reason. I'm ordering new LED's for them at present, so please don't get your panties in a wad over this change on my aging coach.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Harry ole pal, trust me when I say this. Those undercarriage lights ARE NOT LEDs. They could have been. That was an option, but I would never be able to have lived that one down.

MangoMike
01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Now I'm the first guy to promote a full scale LED attack. However, at the risk of bringing down the ire of my peers, I have to comment on taillight LED's.

Unless your doing what Dale did on his bus (very nice job by the way - your wife must've done the work) by replacing the entire fixture I would not just subsititure LED bulbs for the existing bulbs in the same fixture. Reason being is the new LED bulbs do not provide an even "flow" across the lens fixture. It's more of a concentrated light bead in the center of the lens that from a couple of car lengths behind the coach just doesn't quite look right.

I'm in Jon's Dark Side camp on this one.

Mike

Let the flamin' begin.

dalej
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Guys can you believe I had forgot some! I think when you change so many at a time you forget what all you do. There was the ground effects lights and the door and entry lights and some on the inside. Sorry it won't happen again. ;)

Check them out at...

http://midwestleds.com/lights

PS, I will post the expences soon.

win42
01-08-2007, 01:43 PM
John; OK your off the hook with me, but if they were LED's you could leave them on permanently with little drain on the battery. If you decide to change to LED's someday Crow doesn't taste too bad with a lot of Chili sauce on it.
I've had my share of it over the years.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-08-2007, 06:59 PM
You guys are missing it. ;) Jon will be getting his leds already installed on the new Liberty he is going to see! Was this a subtle way to make an announcement? :cool: :) JIM

lewpopp
01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Harry

I just noticed that you have a 89/91 coach. What does that mean? You left the 90 out. Trying to figure this out. Help me Harry.

Lew

jello_jeep
01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Jon,

I stand firmly with you against this horrible display of flagerant foolish spending of apparently disposable income, what with the starvin children in Biafra and all.

Oh Dale, by the way, I got shipment of the lights in today. Thanks much :p

win42
01-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Lew: The 89 was when Prevost built the shell and the 91 denotes the year Royale/Buddy Gregg gave it when sold and licensed. When I need parts from Prevost I use 89 and when I'm trying to dazzel a prospective buyer I use 91.
Thanks for posting the address of the handle source, I've been looking for them for sometime. It's nice to see someone use the forum for something it was designed for. Sorry you'll not be making POG3 we all understand health issues come first. We'll hook up sooner or later.

dalej
02-13-2007, 10:12 PM
You get three tries to figure out what Harry (win42) is doing in this photo.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Could there be some LEDs in his future? Hmmmmmm?
Or is he polishing stainless but picked up the wrong power tool.
How do you find anything in that pile on the table:eek: Just kidding
At the rate folks with the older tail lights keep switching over it won't be long before the back of ours looks pretty unique.

Jerry Winchester
02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Those pesky LEDs are popping up everywhere........

http://www.foxnews.com/images/261789/0_61_enlightened_bra.jpg

MangoMike
02-14-2007, 08:51 AM
That is not CK.

mm

Jon Wehrenberg
02-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Since the man on the right is working inside the rear electric box and because of Harry's proximity to the tail lights, I will tag along with the others and suggest whatever they are doing it has to do with LED tail lights.

My guess is that instead of going to International Bus and buying the stack like Toy Box did, Harry the metal bender has created his own tail light assembly and these two guys are trying to go from 24 volts down to 12.

win42
02-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Uh er you win Jon & Joe. I even had a halfass excuse. My original tail lights sockets went bad and the last trip was finished with no tail lights. Dale had the replacements on order prior to that. I did not elaborate on what Dale did to his. It'll add a little pizaaz to my Prevostique. Remember pofolk can't make giant leaps.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-14-2007, 04:26 PM
That is not CK.

mm

CK'S shoulders are much nicer, don't you think? :D JIM

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Those pesky LEDs are popping up everywhere........

http://www.foxnews.com/images/261789/0_61_enlightened_bra.jpg

OH, TO BE A BATTERY :D

Gary S

lewpopp
02-14-2007, 10:32 PM
I didn't know at first what Harry was doing, but the guy next to him is wearing JDUB's pants. Ol' Plumbers Butt. Has Jerry been passing his Levis around?

Lew

dalej
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey Harry, how is it going with that project you have? have not heard from you. Hope all is good with it. Let me know what is going on.

win42
02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Dale
Glad to hear from you & Jan. Sounds like the trip is going well. Were looking forward to meeting up with you on your return. All the LED light system is complete and working fine including front markers and clearance lights. Warren did a great job of wiring. Circut breakers and diodes on each system, first class. Now if I just had the rear side lights it would be complete.
You two continue to have fun.