PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you have a blowout

tommybahama
08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
New article from Popular Mechanics. Insert buses and motorhomes in place of cars and SUVs and the information still applies. Keep cool, steer steady in you own lane with feet off the brake, your blown tire will create as much drag as a parachute.

http://bit.ly/1aNMQ0g

Any good blowout stories out there?

dale farley
08-28-2013, 09:58 AM
David,

Good article. An area where it is hard to practice the proper procedure, and hopefully we won't ever need to see how we perform in a real life circumstance.

Joe Camper
09-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I have had a few steer tire blowouts in tractor trailers. Let me put u at ease. Blowouts with the modern day power steering r almost a non issue. Nothing to loose sleep over wondering about if it never happened to U. The first time it happened to me was about 30yr ago in a KW with manual steering at 70mph and that did not develop into anything worse even without power. Keep the speed down and the pull on the wheel will be so slight that if need be could even be controlled by 1 hand with power steering. That's my 2 cents.

jbchevy3
09-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Previously being an over the road Trucker, I agree with Joe. I have had them, no problem especially with Power Steering. Main advice I would give, is stay off the brakes.
The biggest concern will be, what the tires tears up, I had one blow at 70 mph, knocked my headlights out, broke the fender, and the alligator came up and slapped my door, and tore the mirror off.
Tires are much better today than they were back then. Watch your speed, keep up with air pressures, don't run over curbs, and watch what you are running over in the road.

dale farley
09-15-2013, 12:57 PM
I blew an inside dually on an American Eagle and didn't know it until it wiped out an air bag.

otto
09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
We had a blow out of our passenger tag tire. What was most upsetting was the loud noise. I had no idea what had happened. It sounded like an explosion and was very loud. It also happened on the Florida Turnpike in Feb so the traffic was bumper to bumper going at least 65+ in all lanes.