PDA

View Full Version : Tires

billd
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Just replaced 4-365 and 4-315 date code 3313 bought tires thru fmca and Callahan tire in Clearwater mounted,balanced new value stems 3.5 hours and 643.00 tax out the door, and he bought my old tires with 26,500 very pleased as for Mike

Sid Tuls
08-27-2013, 09:34 PM
May I be bold and ask what you got for your old tires?

billd
08-28-2013, 05:50 AM
60.00 each

Gil_J
08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Bill,

You must have gotten the last XZA@ Enenergy 315s in the Callaghan chain. I just called their Ocala store and they said no one has any :-( The 2 I need should be here in 10 days or less.

billd
08-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I ordered them late July and they ordered from Michelin so I would have fresh dates 315were 2213 365 were 3113.

Gil_J
08-29-2013, 07:25 PM
When I spoke to them I asked why they weren't stocked. They said it's apopular size but too expensive for most. I was going to use TCI in Ocala after using 2 other stores. Unfortunately, or mabe not, they closed the Ocala store.

Bill you live in a town that sure has went through change and growth. I went to high school in Tarpon many years ago and always liked the town.

Barney
09-08-2013, 11:22 AM
On the subject of tires, i read lots of old threads, but still a little confused on the process for buying via FMCA.
I joined FMCA couple months ago, ready to get 8 new 315's now.
So, few questions: any recommendations of where in the Dallas/Ft Worth area?
What about the balancing ( powder) Equal. Good ,bad, all 8 tires or just steers?
What about the old takeoffs, Disposal fees, trade in value, sell them yourself, dispose yourself etc. Mine have great half inch tread, no cracking
but are all 2005's.
Lastly, do you pay FMCA for the tires or the dealer, tell me the exact process please.

Thanks,

Barney

Gil_J
09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Barney,

I've used the program twice. It works great. Details are on the FMCA web page. First, you need to find a dealer that will support the Michelin Advantage program. Generally, you need to go to a larger dealer as this is not a good deal for the dealer. They don't make a penny on the tire, just what they charge for labor and balancing. You will need to register your credit card with FMCA and I believe they ask who you are buying the tires from. You leave the installing dealer having paid for everything, including tires. The tire price you paid at the dealer will not be your price. Then FMCA will send you an invoice for the actual tire price and there will be a reversal on your credit card reflecting the difference between what you paid the dealer and what you are actually charged. In my case, this was done the same day.

Balance all tires. The price is too low to do any fewer. Weights versus equal or similar beads/powder product is a debated. I've used both and both worked well. I have 2 tires on order, I'll be using Equal. If you go with beads/powder make sure you get the filtered valve stem cores. As a general rule most reputable tire shops will always replace the cores, just make sure they are the right ones.

Take offs vary. A disposal fee is the norm, but ask if they will buy them. If you don't mind being hassled with carrying them there is a market with local dump truck and garbage truck operators.

coreygrubb
09-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Barney, The dealer charges you the FMCA price and Michilen reimburses the dealer. The FMCA price is less than the normal wholesale price to the dealer. Usually the dealer will pay something for your old tires as they can sell them to truckers. Can't go by tread, you have to go by time and 8 yrs is about timed out. If you're lucky you can get enough for your old tires to cover the cost of mntg and balancing. Equal or equivalent in all tires.

Gil_J
09-08-2013, 12:54 PM
In my 2 times of using the program I was never charged the actual FMCA price by the selling dealer, it was always more. It was corrected at the end of the day, so it's a moot point. Here's part of the process from the FMA site:

3. The dealer should give you an ESTIMATE on the price of the tires when you make your first call to them.

The ACTUAL discounted tire price will be shown on the invoice that you receive from FMCA a few days afteryour tires have been installed. Invoices will be sent out Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time.
Any fees for mounting, balancing, state and local taxes, and tire disposal are extra and quoted locally by the servicing dealer, so those fees are not included in the discount program.

JIM KELLER
09-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Gil, How did your tire trip to Orlando turn out.

Gil_J
09-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Based on recommendations to use Callaghan's, i called their Ocala store well over 2 weeks ago and ordered 2 315s. I called them Wednesday morning saying I really needed the tires by Friday. They said they were in transit from another store but could not be sure when they would be received but said they would make some calls and call back. No return call come Thursday morning.

I called TCI's Orlando store and scheduled tire replacement for Friday. This is a high volume store that sells over 2,000 tires a month. Their service manager is very professional as was the tire technician that changed me tires. Although they have several bays, they changed the tires in the lot. The steers moved to the tag and the tags replaced with fresh tires and mounted on the steers. I think their labor and prices went up over what I paid 2 years ago. $47 for R&R, $35 for equal, and $18 for moving wheels. The tires I changed were 8 years old which is the limit for Waste Management and beyond the limit for Vulcan, the 2 dominant buyers of used tires for TCI Orlando. Still they offered $20 per old tire. I could have likely have gotten more if I brought them home, but didn't want the hassle. All in all, very satisified. I did discover they have a 1 man store in Ocala, but don't advertise it. I met that tech picking up tires and he too seemed like a good guy.

I used the FMCA program, which I've done twice before. This time there was no in store charge for the tires. I simply signed a form saying I did get the tires. You do have to register a credit card with Michelin, which takes all of 5 minutes.

I came home via Bushnell to fill up with the cheapest fuesl in the area, $3.759. Now I need to clean the love bugs off and hope they are gone before we start off for Nashville on Wednesday.

BrianE
09-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Whether you pay the discount price to the tire dealer or receive a credit from FMCA is entirely dependent on the dealer's policy. If the dealer has sold numerous tires under the program he will know the FMCA price and charge that amount when he has the FMCA authorization. My dealer explained to me that it saves paperwork by doing it this way. You need to join the Michelin Advantage Program on the FMCA site:http://www.fmca.com/join-family-motor-coach-association/member-benefits/fmca-connections/3455 I would personally seek out a Michelin dealer who is very familiar with the program.

Jamie Bradford
09-21-2013, 06:00 PM
I got 8 new tires from TCI in Orlando under the FMCA program a few months ago.

They are great to work with!!

JIM KELLER
09-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Did you guys get new valve stems ? If so, did they have the correct angles to install tire moniters ? How about the inside rear dual. I would like to omit the extensions but that would require a 9 inch valve stem. Mine are 3 inch stems with 6 in extensions. The last time I bought tires the dealer had a limited inventory and once the tires are installed valve stem options are over.

BrianE
09-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Jim,
In my case the tire dealer asked me if I was happy with the valve stem lengths and angles, which I was. They duplicated them exactly with new stems. I use a short angled stem on the inside duals and reach in with a long gauge and filler. I also use the valve caps that you don't need to remove and they provide an extra safety valve. I had a monitor system on the Liberty and it worked very well but I think simple is safer. It also forces me to inspect the tires when I check pressures. To each his own.

Gil_J
09-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Valve stem replacement is not normal. Replacing valve cores is something most, if not all, will do as part of a tire replacement procedure. If you want new valve stems, your best bet is to order them and have them changed with the tires. You may find it more likely that changing tires at a place like Lazy Days they may have the longer inside dual valves, but I doubt truck tire shops do.

JIM KELLER
09-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks Men.

BrianE
09-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Gil, I stand corrected. The dealer found two stems he didn't like and replaced them. All the cores were replaced.

Barney
09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I'd like to bounce this off you guys for feedback. I stopped in a small TCI store in Denton, Tx yesterday to see about some new tires via
FMCA program. This was a small ( two man) store. They use a service truck for changing tires in their parking lot. And a couple small bays for
standard vehicles. He had 6- XZA-2 in stock with date codes 1513, seemed a little old to me, maybe I'm too picky? Would have to order the other two ,take a week to get. When I asked about the labor
costs he insisted the program costs would be less than his quotes. That's not what I understand from reading here. Only the tires are special
priced and the dealers do their on thing as far as labor, is that right?
Here's the details he stated: mounting $32, Remove/replace $18, Equal $20, Spin balance $35, Stems $8.75, Caps $2.50, Disposal $15
Will not buy tires over 5years old( mine are 2005 so zero for me) Suggested we spin balance the steers and use equal in the others?
On the subject of valve stems, it sounds like there are several setups? What is the preferred you guys like so as a buyer of my first set of tires I do
it right the first time. He commented that only the year on the date code matters, nobody pays attention to the month. I find that hard to swallow,
maybe he just needs to move his older inventory? What would you do? The Online FMCA price on XZA-energy's is $586 is that right?
I would have expected fees at all TCI stores to be same?

Thanks,

Barney

Gil_J
09-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Barney only the tires are offered through Michelin Advantage. Some dealers charge you for the tires, others don't. Regardless, FMCA is going to charge you or adjust what you paid, if the store charged you. No big deal either way.

The TCI tech that changed mine was a road service guy. So, he changed them in their lot only using the charnger in the shop. This is a high volume store with plenty of truck bays. No complaints on the work done.

The date code is late April, not bad. The ones I had put on last week were 3513.

If you want different valve stem configurations, you should probably buy them beforehand.

Equal or weights will get you a lot of opinions. I had Equal in the steers (the new tires). All others have weights.

garyde
09-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi Barney. I would call around and get some other quotes for the work. I would not have a problem with 2013 tires regardless of the month but others may not agree. Other stores might give some credit for your tires and not a re cycle fee.