PDA

View Full Version : new member with many questions

Raveson
08-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Just beginning to feel my way around the forum, have many questions as to the electrical systems and the bunch. Have had a three different RVs (over 17 yrs), the last was a 345 Airstream classic (34.5') still for sale. that we crossed the US with twice. The bus is a 1996 XL45 converted by American. To start with the electrical, it appears that most systems are duplicated for redundancy ? Example, two water pumps, two water heaters, two inverters and so on. Everything appears to work with only one turned on as it was at purchase. Previous owner did not go over a whole lot as to how things operate. Orig manuals from Prevost don't address my questions. Should all systems be activated or rotated on or off for back up? For a starter, I will thank you in advance for hopefully many questions and answers now and in the future, Richard11350

dale farley
08-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Richard,

Welcome to the site. Great looking bus, and from what I understand, American made some very nice conversions. When you get a chance, it will be helpful if you add the info about your coach in your signature, so everyone will always know which bus you are referring to. If you have a problem, just let me know, and I'll be glad to help you enter the info.

As a general rule, most conversions have duplicated systems, and all the systems are on most of the time. Normally, the inverters are running different systems in the bus. It may be less important that both water heaters and water pumps are always on. Hopefully, someone with an American conversion will chime in. Is this an American Carriage or just an "American" conversion? Once again, welcome to the site and the POG family. Don't hesitate to ask questions! We have all been in your position at one time, and none of us ever learn "everything" about our bus.

Gil_J
08-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Congrats on the new coach...great colors!

Most, not all systems, added by a converter may appear redundant but really aren't. Take the two inverter/chargers, as an example of both. As you probably know 50A shore power has 2 different voltage carrying wires for a total of 100A@120V. The two voltage wires also supply 220V, that may be needed in your coach. Common items needing 220VAC are the cooktop and possibly the washer/dryer. It they are from Europe, they are likely 220V. Back to the inverter/chargers. The two inverters provide battery supplied 120V to a subset of the circuits using one or the other of the voltage carrying inputs. No redundancy there. Most coaches, but not all, have a single house battery bank. In those cases the 2 charger sides of the inverter/chargers are redundant.

The 2 hot water heaters are to divide the heating load across the 2 voltage inputs. So, this configuration was primarly for load balancing, but does provide redundancy.

2 water pumps is likely for redundancy. Given most bus conversion users aren't doing much dry camping, there's probably no need for 2. If redundant, I would only use one at a time and try to rotate use. If you use both at the same time you may not discover one is bad until the other fails.

Again, congrats!

Pete
08-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Richard, American built a nice coach, I owned one for years, and they are as good as they come. I really like the fact that yours has 4 roof top A/C's as well as the Prevost over the road A/C. You should be able to hang beef in that thing. You should not have any trouble traveling in the hottest climates in the country. Should your OTR fail, simply start the genset and run the roof airs, and with 4, you will be in great shape.
Welcome to POG, get involved in the rallies/mini rallies, and enjoy the ride!
We look forward to meeting you.

Raveson
08-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Your info is great! I will attempt to check if all the batteries behind the bumper are tied together. One inverter is in the off position on the box, but on position on a marked switch. There is also a a master switch that shows three positions one for each inverter and one unmarked, I would assume to link the two? Will continue to explore, thanks again! Richard

JIM KELLER
08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Gil, Is that a vented cargo door on his Bus ? Since we both want one maybe we can make a deal at the first function he attends.

Gil_J
08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Jim,

Great idea! Someone else could take him out for drinks and we could swap doors. Now we just have to figure out if I get our you get it. Want to flip a coin? That looks like an OTR Air door. The best looking vented door I've seen for the battery bay is the one Pete has. Pete, do you want to go for drinks ;-)

Pete
08-28-2013, 08:32 PM
You guys don't want a bay door from my raggedy old bus! But I am ready for drinks. Looking forward to seeing you all.