PDA

View Full Version : Free Marker Lights

MangoMike
02-04-2006, 08:19 AM
As I was inspired by Lew, I've switched out my side amber lights for some LED ones.

Anyone needing lights for an XL1 (I have 20) just email me and I'll be glad to send them your way, no charge. mike@mangomikes.com

Mike

Jerry Winchester
02-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Mike,

How bout some info on the marker lights. Where did you get them, how to they look and maybe a photo (day and night would be sweet:D ). Has anyone put LED lights in the tail light housings?

JW

lewpopp
02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Mike, I posted on the other site that I would be happy to get and install the lites... If you did it on an XL, so can Lew.

Thanks

Lew

MangoMike
02-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Jerry,

I'll get some photos for you. Purchased from International Bus Parts -800-468-5287. They have 8 LED's per unit. I believe they were about $14 each. You can also get a stainless steel trim piece, which I passed on.

I did order a similiar unit from Prevost to try out. But you had to order a separate harness for wiring (when you see the photos you'll understand) and I just liked the lens color better from IBP. However the Prevost lights were interesting because they had 6 LED's 2 facing sideways, 2 facing front and 2 facing rear. Great light coverage. THe IBP's had 8 all facing sideways.

Someone on this site or stuff did do the housings, can't remember who although I do remember it was a lot of work.

Lew, You're the Man!

Mike

Jerry Winchester
02-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks in advance for doing that Mike. I have to think the LED's look pretty sweet. And thanks Lew, the godfather of ideas, for the inspiration.

And Lew, this is the answer to getting under your coach.

http://www.bonecreeper.com/gallery/Bone/Bone-3-4-View-with-black-bo.jpg

MangoMike
02-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Jerry,

Pretty cool creeper. I bought one from Sears but still not low enough. When the bus is at max airbag lift (with backup supports) I still need about an 1.5" inches to get underneath. Is this one super low?

Mike

Where and how much?

Jerry Winchester
02-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Mike,

It is lower than my old / standard creeper, so I guess it is somewhat lower. The best part is the wheels. They are not creeperesk, so they actually work well. :)

They are available all over, so type "The Bone Creeper" into Google and you will see that they come up everywhere from Amazon to regular parts houses.

MangoMike
02-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Ok,

Here's the poop on the Prevost LED vs. IBP marker lights.

www.prevoman.com

Mike

Jerry Winchester
02-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Now that was some damn useful information with a great photo illustration. I think I will order me up a batch of those bad boys and let the wiring begin.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do that.

Jerry

MangoMike
02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Jerry,

Glad to help. I want you to look good at the POG rally, just so Jon can eat his heart out.

Forgot to mention that IBP also has a stainless steel base rim that you can order extra with the fixture. I passed as I believe they were about $20 each, but you might want to check.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I am just trying to figure out how to get my coach from Houston to the rally without getting any crap on it as I know there will be a How-clean-is-Jon's-coach pissing contest when we all arrive :D

I thought about wrapping it up or maybe stopping in some town short of the rally for a short clean up and engine detailing so as to not offend Jon's sense of cleanliness.

And how good is it that Jon is not here to defend himself? Yes, stay gone another week Jon and we can do just what it is I am good at; having fun at the expense of others..........:eek:

ken&ellen
02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Jerry, Flat bed the sucker! Stuff your family in the cab of a Kenworth sleeper hooked up to a nice long lowboy. It will be expensive....but clean.:D Ken

Jerry Winchester
02-07-2006, 09:25 AM
K&E,

I think you need to find us a good clean-up place north of the rally point and we can get the conga line of cleaning going there. We can get Jon and the turbo wheel buffer going and that should take care of errant road gunk and the odd rain shower.........

Or we can get Lew to show us the telescoping squeegie trick. In fact, I think I will just offer my coach up as the cleaning technique test bed for all those anal cleaning types and they can show us their skills at the rally.

Everyone wins :D

Jeffery Raymond
02-07-2006, 10:19 AM
For those who have Level One Clearance, there is an undisclosed location about 10 minutes from the rally site which is a secure facility for clean up and detailing. Further, the rally site itself allows on-site clean up at last report. (But first impressions are lasting impressions).

PM me for further details.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
All of your efforts will be fruitless.

I just installed the optional and still highly classified bug and dust repellant system along with the continuous aluminum wheel polishig device.

I expect to have the engine In-Transit waxing device perfected prior to the rally leaving only a little work with a Q-tip on my tire treads when I get to the POG site.

lewpopp
02-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Received the marker lights in perfect shape. Thank you.

Started replacing a few real bad lenses and decided to see if I could come up with a polish that would keep the plastic shined. Doubt that I can. Time will tell.

Thanks again, mango mike and there will always be extra parts to the marker lights in my shop on wheels.

The big thing I noticed, was that I won't have to purchase anymore 24v bulbs from anyone.

MangoMike
02-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Lew, your welcome.

You can bring back those lenses. I did repolish about 4 of them before I decided to go to the LED's and they came out looking like new. Unfortunately for you I sent them the Ken who was the first guy to ask for the lights. In any case go to Eastwood and get the polish.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=988&itemType=PRODUCT

And order the special plastic buffing wheel. It works wonders, but it takes about 10 minutes per lens to do it right.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=869&itemType=PRODUCT

Mike

Thanks to Jon for the Eastwood tip.

MangoMike
02-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Lew, If you want to wait I'll bring my plastic polishing stuff and buffer to the POG rally and you can give it a try before you spend any money at Eastwood.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
02-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Did Mango just volunteer to teach another topic at the POG rally?

I think he should teach us how to use that polishing equipment on our wheels, starting with mine.;)

MangoMike
02-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Line 'em up!

I knew this $100 POG membership would pay off.:rolleyes:

Mike

I have to say am enoying JDUB's post from Rome. At $8 per hour it's probably still cheaper for him than the Italian masssage parlors.

Jerry Winchester
02-16-2006, 01:15 PM
We're going to have to get you some classes. 8 EURO's is about $10 per hour.......

MangoMike
02-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey world traveler, Euro's - Schmero's. What do I know, I deal in Mango dollars. Go get that Diesel price down.

Mango

Jon Wehrenberg
02-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Let me see if I got this right.

Jerry is a global traveler, but he spends his time in some $10 an hour cybershop so he doesn't miss anything?

Jerry, look out the window. See the sights. What the hell are you doing wasting your time with the likes of us?

MangoMike
02-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Jon, I got a feeling they have WIFI in that Italian massage joint. ... and he's spending a bit more than 8 Euro's per hour.

Mangoroonnie

Jon Wehrenberg
02-16-2006, 08:31 PM
No wonder oil costs so much.

Jerry Winchester
02-19-2006, 10:10 AM
You guys are too funny.

I about wore a pair of shoes out walking in Rome. The Pope was in, but the shades were pulled. The Colesseum was full of Japanese and the food was good. The Pantheon was still there as was the Arch of Constantine. No Prevost coachs about but lots of midget cars. Gas is way high there. Diesel in Libya is about 10 cents a gallon, so now you know where your money goes........:eek:

Now there isn't anywhere to walk in Libya as the hotel is on the beach and the meetings are done for the day. Free internet access here makes it all average out. And in two days the postings are slim, so I will head to London tomorrow and back to Houston and my "stuff".

lewpopp
02-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I can't wait until the raly to polish them up. What's so special about their polish compared to regular polish?

If I get some from that site, should it be the taillight polishing kit?

I want to do it right, make sure I get approved by you ANAL guys.

MangoMike
02-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Lew,

I don't know the difference between the two polishes, but I figured why take the chance of messing up my lenses. Let me send you a chunk of the plastic polish and give it a try, if you like get some more from Eastwood. I would get the loose string buffing wheel because I think it would be easy to burn the plastic. Have some fun.

Mike

Jerry Winchester
02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I tried Flitz on them and the stuff Mike found at Eastwood works better. I don't know why. That would be a question for the Anal Master Jon.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Don't drag anal master Jon into this.

I draw the line at polshing the inside of my marker light lenses with Lemon Pledge.

I did wax the inside of my tire valve stem caps, but that is only because I want to put on a good show at the POG rally. I ordinarily do that only when I change tires.

Don't you have some sight seeing to do?

Jerry Winchester
02-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I am done sightseeing. Left Libya at 4, Heathrow by 6, bus to Gatwick by 7, crappy British supper by 8 and a big fluffy bed at the Sofitel. Getting my e-mail whipped out and will be winging my way back to the motherland by 10am tomorrow.

Oh, Shell pulled out of Nigeria or at least the Niger Delta, so with a 20% drop in their production, diesel should be in the MangoMike range within a week. Time to get those MangoBucks out and let the whining begin.....

Jerry Winchester
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Okay the LED marker lights were ordered today, so the price of bling for the rally has gone up :cool:

And Mike, those trim rings for the lights you thought were $20 each are now $34.13 each :eek: I passed, but I did get a new chrome tip for the exhaust. Some mullet head in Arkansas is using my old one to distill Yugo fuel by now.

MangoMike
04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
JW,

Let's you and I park next to Jon and keep our running lights on 24/7 just to bedazzle him to death.

This is going to be a great!

MangoLED

Hey we also need to cheer up Lew, he's been a little on the cranky side :)

Jon Wehrenberg
04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Just like drafting saves lots of fuel, if you guys park next to me with your lights on I will be able to turn off my master switches and still use all my lighting due to the electromagnetic fields generated by you guys.

Bring it on.

Jerry Winchester
04-04-2006, 09:06 PM
A little on the cranky side? I'm thinking it is his time of the month.

Also, did you replace just the side marker lights? Your count said 20 and I only see 12 unless you do the top front and rear?

MangoMike
04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Abacus boy,

10 per side.

Light up the night...

Mango

Jon Wehrenberg
04-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Abacus Boy (one of the Good Happy Guys) needs a stretch to get 10. He has one of the baby Prevosts at 40 feet.;)

Jerry Winchester
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Toadja there were only 12 :D

Are you big coach guys are just trying to make up for a lack of something? :eek:

Jerry Winchester
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I also found out they have the front / rear markers in LED, but they fit the XLll. They can be "made" to work on the XL, but has anyone done this?

Lew, chime in here. You are the king of lighting upgrades eh?

XLll Led Top Marker Lights

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/63107535-M.jpg

Jon Wehrenberg
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
You're kidding right?

Why should Lew EVER talk to you after calling him names.

Lew, ignore him. He's just jealous because us New Yorkers are from where they make real salsa.

Jerry Winchester
04-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I actually think it was Mike that called him a name and I actually questioned his statement, eh? :D

Can you say New Yorkers and salsa in the same sentence?

How about a comment about the lights? Geeze, try to get a little technical help on this board and you just get harpooned for battling the dark side.....

MangoMike
04-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey JW,

Nice background. Is that one of your shirts picked out by the guys from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy for your new wardrobe? ;)

I did get one of those clearance lights from IBP, but haven't had a chance to install yet. Am hoping they will pop as much as the side lights.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
04-05-2006, 04:25 PM
"Grumpy Anal Wannabe Guys
Lew"

Don't blame Mike. He is one of the nicest guys I know and he would never resort to name calling. (and I want him to leave a little meat on those jerk chicken bones he is feeding me Monday.)

Jerry Winchester
04-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Quit sucking up to Mr. Jerked Chicken (that sounds nasty). Sounds like it has curry in it which I believe they use to induce vomiting.

And I thought that was more of a catagory than it was a name. But Lew is in NASCAR heaven somewhere, so I doubt we will hear from him.

But I can tell you he is not in Las Vegas and neither is the sun. What's up with that? Any Mangoesk eating spots here that we should hit? This place is not in my usual orbit, so I know little about it.

I had IBP throw in one of those top lights so I could see how it fit. I think we need a carbon arc light to add some bling to Jon's coach. :cool:

Jon Wehrenberg
04-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Bling, Blang, Blung.

Speak English.

How can you possibly get more Blingish than a bad ass Liberty towing an H3?

I prefer to think as we head on down the road as having understated elegance.

The only problem is the Hummer is not color coordinated with the coach. But my engine is.;)

ken&ellen
04-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Talk about bling. Here at Daytona one vendor has license frames with a led scroll message....of your creation! " Eat at Mango Mikes.....Friday's special...lime chicken".....or " Support the OSU Cowboys " ....or " My other car is a P210". Cool. Ellen would not allow me to purchase because she was fearful I would get in trouble with my messages???? " $#%&*(#@ " Oh well. Daytona has been great....lots of motor homes...yes there are 5th wheels, but lots of great people. Ken & Ellen:cool:

Jerry Winchester
04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Ellen = Fun Sucker

I can't believe you didn't get us one of those so we could mess with Lew during the rally.

ken&ellen
04-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Don't believe everything you read!! I can spend money with the best of them, especially on gadgets! ;)

lewpopp
04-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Ken and Ellen

I saw two things that caught my eye in Daytona. The license lights and a power management system sold by VIP. I tried to get the guy to look at my coach to see if it would be easy to install but he missed the first apptmt and we left Sunday morn.

I have never been to a rally with trailors and will not return to another. That rally was a wastefor a motorhomer. Especially a conversion nut like us. That's my opinion.

ken&ellen
04-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Lew, You are intitled to your opinion, but the Rally was probably 50-60% motor homes. After all it is a Good Sams sponsored event. Our area was probably 70% motor homes including a '05 H3 dry camping next to our rig. This rally was vastly superior to the FMCA rally at Perry, Ga last year. Plus the fact we were 50 yards from the end of the main runway at Daytona International. Hey, look at the strange airplane doing his run up.....two tails....no, no....some kind of Vee tail. Probably lost.:D Ken

Jerry Winchester
04-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Well the new LED marker lights came in from IBP today and there will be no bling for the POG. :(

I wouldn't put these lights on a farm trailer, so evidently we have a communication problem. And there is no pig tail, so they look amazingly like the lights Mike shunned in his quest for LED superiority.

Jerry Winchester
04-13-2006, 05:14 PM
IBP says, "My bad" and the new MangoMike-esk lights are on the way. :D

I will just bring them to the rally and my afternoon session will be a hands on workshop in "LED Marker Light Installation" How Jon like.

And then Jon can take the old ones and polish them so they can be used in the POG Pile O' Parts that he is amassing. A prince among men. :rolleyes:

MangoMike
04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Tom Sawyer would be proud.