PDA

View Full Version : May be the Time to Replace Your Light Bulbs With LEDs

dale farley
08-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Over the last few years, there has been increasing discussion about using LEDs to replace conventional interior (and exterior) bulbs. Cost and limited replacements have always been the greatest deterrent to making the switch. Fortunately, the price has started to come down and there is now a variety of light fixtures and light bulbs available for RV LED lighting. Many of them come in dimmable versions.

Led lights cost more upfront but save energy for years to come after being placed into service. A typical LED emitting the same light as an incandescent bulb will usually draw about 1/10 the current. When you change all the bulbs in your bus, this can be a significant reduction in current draw, and may extend the charge on your house batteries. LEDs also have a much longer life than incandescent or fluorescent bulbs. LEDs are projected to last up to 50 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Another plus for LEDs is that they operate much cooler than incandescent bulbs and cause less discoloration of the lenses and may prevent a fire if left on for extended time frames.

Most Camping stores carry an assortment of LED bulbs. Thousands of on-line sellers have excellent assortments of bulbs and fixtures. Switching to LEDs can now be a relatively simple process. You can change the bulb or in some cases, it makes mores sense to change the light fixture. When/if you make the switch, you will be rewarded with longer lasting lights that draw much less power and save money and frustration for the rest your bus's life expectancy. One example of a wholesale supplier:http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-rv-led-light-bulbs.html

Gil_J
08-10-2013, 03:06 PM
There are plenty of sellers on eBay, most from China. I replaced all ceiling puck light bulbs with the LED Disc and they work great. The only issue is they only dim one step and were polarized so I had to rewire about half the lights. I don't think I paid $2 each and they are "warm white, rather than the harsh blueish ones. You can get these that aren't polarity specific and support dimmers, but you'll pay a lot more for them. Here's another good source: http://www.superbrightleds.com/

If you are considering a LED bulb replacement for your tail/brake/turn lights, don't waste your time. Every side-by-side report I've read said they simply aren't as bright. Given the directionality of LEDs and the large reflector in turn/brake/tail lights, this doesn't come as a surprise. If you want LED running lights, change the fixtures to LED fixtures. I did and they are a lot brighter.

gmcbuffalo
08-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Gil I don't understand the polarity issue, I know that LED's only work with current attached to the proper lead, but why would you have to rewire the bus?

Gil_J
08-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Greg,

The ceiling lights aren't polarized and don't need to be with standard bulbs. When you replace the standard bulb with a polarity specific LED you have a 50/50 chance the polarity will ge correct. If the LED is a typical disc type replacement you can't turn the disc over; well you can but the LEDs will be pointed up.