PDA

View Full Version : The Keys

Joe Cannarozzi
01-02-2007, 07:53 PM
With a whole bunch of help from Mr ray computer wiz Davis.
Here is a few shots from our current spot. 20 miles from Key West!

jello_jeep
01-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Nice digs!! Wish I was there!!!

We were in Lake Havasu last week, and when the wind wasn't blowing, it was pretty nice!!

MangoMike
01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Joe,

I love the shot from the cab. Plus that patio table and umbrella on the roof is a nice touch.

What's the name of the campground again?

Mike

rmboies
01-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Looks heavenly Debbie and Joe! Is that a beanie baby I see on the dash:eek:

dalej
01-02-2007, 10:31 PM
No Bob or Debi, thats a babe in the chase looking thru the wiper bracket!~

Orren Zook
01-03-2007, 03:14 AM
I'm trying to get down to Florida but the travel has been, well.....

Joe Cannarozzi
01-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Mango

Sugarloaf Key KOA. We are only here for a week, just to get our Key west Fix. Its less than a half hour from here.

Believe it or not we think the one at the 70 mile marker Fiesta Key KOA where we will be moving to next is even nicer, its in Isleamirada, but traveling with pets it' a little too long of a drive down to Key West from there and prefer not to leave them alone that long.

jonnie
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Joe,

I thought they were turning the KOA at the 70 mile marker into Condo's. We have been there several times and really enjoyed it. Great little bar!
John

rmboies
01-03-2007, 08:19 AM
No Bob or Debi, thats a babe in the chase looking thru the wiper bracket!~

hey Jan, I see where Dale was looking:D I guess I should have shown Bob the pic before replying!

Joe Cannarozzi
01-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Jonney We were told the same, however, I got a notion back in June or so to just call and check and found out they were doing 1 more year. Delays in permits. We put that info. out there back in August or something like that, its one of our previous posts.

Its not too late to plan next year:cool:

Joe Cannarozzi
01-08-2007, 06:23 PM
We moved today. Heres our new digs!

This place is only 10% occupied right now, could fit 100 busses easy!

Joe Cannarozzi
01-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Here is some senery of the 50 miles between the two spots!

No need for naration:eek:

truk4u
01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Joe, your killing us!!!!:D

dalej
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Yea Joe, stop the show and tell....some people have all the fun:(

In reality Joe I'm happy for you guys! You have a great time and keep posting!

merle&louise
01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Joe,

What the name of the RV park?

rfoster
01-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Joe: Keep the cards and letters coming. How was Sugarloaf? You are killing us too! We are to be in Sugarloaf KOA Jan 29, 30, then back to Stuart @ Liberty. the rest of that week. Where are you now?:cool:

MangoMike
01-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Don't let him fool you. Joe's stuck in the LOOP in Chicago and all the shots are Photoshoped in.

You kidder Joe.

mm

Joe Cannarozzi
01-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Tuga

We are currently at the Fiesta Key KOA, the 70 mile marker from Key West It was sold last year and was not suppose to even be open this year so we knew is was gonna be a little vacent but this is unreal, it's almost empty, VERY NICE in those terms.

Rodger

Sugarloaf is once again outstanding. Watch the NOSEEUMS though, on the sand at the beach at dawn and dusk:(
Rog on a side note if you choose to, there is a place called Bluewater Key campground about 3 miles further at the 17mm and its 5-STAR. A short stay like yours would almost be a shoe in. If nothing else do a drive through for future referance.
Also if you are interested try Raimondos at the 21mm. Its Italian and probably the best meal and service we have ever had anywere down here. Everything about the place is perfect. They have an ad in the Sugarloaf brochoure.
Every sunset here is better than the day before:p
One of these guys fried himself on a transformer last night. Caused an arc you could here for a mile. We all had a little gen. time:rolleyes:
Thats campin.

merle&louise
01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Joe,

Thanks for the heads up. Man, I envy you guys. Boy I wish I was in the Florida keys instead of WORKING.

I have heard about Bluewater RV Resort. The pictures are magnificent!:D
The Tiki huts just have to be cool and being right on the water, man I want to gooooooo!

Joe Cannarozzi
01-09-2007, 09:48 AM
It's not too late to start planning for next year;)
The day we leave we start counting the days until we return. We used to often go to the US virgin islands but Debbie is so afraid of flying if you were sitting next to her she trembled so bad you would think she had parkensens, no kidding, and I decided it just wasnt worth putting her through that any more. These trips have filled that void perfectly.

merle&louise
01-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Karen is exactly like Debbie with her fear of flying. Poor girl is deathly afraid and she tries but just can't shake it.

We flew down to St. Thomas and bareboat chartered a 42' Grand Banks for a week back in 1999. That was the best vacation that we ever had. We liked it so much we did it again the next year with 2 other couples. Since then we have not flown; we use the coach to travel and both love it.

Tell Debbie she is not alone.

Boy, the more I sit here and think about the FL keys the more I want to jump in that coach and drive down there. Oh well, it's fun to dream!

Joe Cannarozzi
06-15-2007, 08:24 PM
OK boys and girls its time to reopen this thread.

Once again, for the third year now, the closing date for Fiesta Key KOA has been pushed back and the place will once again be open for the winter season, YEHA.:D

I got a feeling the current real estate situation is still not good enough for the developers to risk going forward with plans for a condo complex yet.

I called there today and they will be open through April next year for sure.

We are defenitly going down again. Is anyone else interested? They have 28 50amp sites half are on the water, the other half are pull-throughs.

We usually go in Jan. but would be willing to change the dates if others were interested.

What say you?

Joe Cannarozzi
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Although we could not make a trip down to the Keys this year we have been in touch with our Fiesta Key neighbors. The word is they are currently taking reservations for next year, the construction/development plans have been pushed back again.:)

We will not miss 2 years in a row, unless they lock me up. Before we make our reservations would anyone else be interested in joining us. We could be flexible with the dates. Any of Jan., Feb., or March would suite us just fine, this would be for 09 I'm talking about.

It is www.Fiestakeykoa.com at the 70mile marker. South of Islamorada, north of Marathon.

Deep water marina-boat rentals, heated pool, jacuzzi & hot tubs, small lounge & restaurant, large conference room, an assortment of different bicycle rentals, average Jan. temps. upper 60's at night upper 70's by day.

If you like lobster, after dark, you can FILL a 5 gal bucket with a nail on the end of a broomstick and a flashlight in less than a 1/2 hr right off the back of your campsite.

We could caravan around Florida going down or coming back in a BIG RAT PACK for a while and hit Titusville for a few nights Port St. Lucie for a couple, River Ranch for a few, maybe Disney or St Augustine too.

jonnie
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Joe,

I know they are planning on closing, but have they spent any money on cleaning up and improvements? Probably not. Nancy and I have been there several times and really enjoyed ourselves. The mid-keys are a lot of fun.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Was that a yes John?

Imo the place has not changed one bit it is perfect as it is and changing anything might ruin it.

All the talk of developing has really worked into the hands of folks like us because it has run off all the regulars who had all the sights tied up literally for decades. In addition few even know it is still open.

Try and reserve a spot at the other campgrounds down there, it ain't easy.

The gods have looked down favorably to create this situation and it won't last too many more years.

jonnie
02-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Joe,

Unfortunately that is not a yes at this time. Although we do spend the month of March in Florida, we have spent the last few years at Pelican Lake. Nancy and I have been talking about going back to the Keys next year so we will see what happens. We always found the bar to be a lot of fun in the evenings.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I'd be intersted Joe. When do we have to commit?

grantracy
02-14-2008, 07:30 AM
we live in Miami and it is a short hop for us,so if you dont mind the company let us know as well.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Wonderful, now there is 3.

We have time on our side being almost a year out. Let's see how may more are interested and in the meantime I'll call Fiesta and see how the reservations are currently coming in. Based on what they say we can then make an educated decision on how long to wait to gather a crowd before committing to a date.

Input would be good, I already put out what we think might be nice how about your ideas for destinations other than Fiesta and some dates. Is there any dates that can not be made by interested parties?

I would like to throw out there that the end of Jan/ beginning of Feb are the dog days of winter for most and would be nice but again having never yet made a rally we would love to meet as many as possible, so being accommodating to as many as possible is paramount.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Joe, Don't count me as in on this yet. When do we have to commit? I am still in the negotiating stages with Di, and I know that unilateral decisions, even on such relatively small issues as campground reservations go over like a fart in church.

Tell us more about it. 50 amp? nice sites? good restaurants? shopping?

C'mon Joe, help me sell it.

bluevost
02-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Joe,

Janet and I talked it over this afternoon, and we are definitely interested. Put us on the "more info. needed list."

Ken

truk4u
02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm in Joe, but lots of things can happen in a year...

jonnie
02-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Jon,

I have been to Fiesta Key several times and enjoyed it. They do have 50 amp on some sites and also have many water front sites. The KOA is located at the 70.5 mile marker and is a short drive to and Marathon and about 70 miles from Key West. The pace of life is a little slower and you can kickback or go fishing. Good shopping for the ladies and good restaurants as well as a lot of "old florida" bars and restaurants. Osyters are plentifull!

MangoMike
02-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Plus not far from my all time favorite mid-Keys restaurant. At the north end of the 7 mile bridge.

mm

phorner
02-15-2008, 09:01 AM
We've spent some time at Sugarloaf KOA and enjoyed the stay very much.

If you're still handing out the invites, unless something radical changes, count us in!

jonnie
02-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Mango,

Have you ever been to the No Name Bar on No Name Key? And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Geiger Key Smokehouse and RV Resort. This place is real old Florida!

Joe Cannarozzi
02-15-2008, 05:29 PM
I spoke with them today and having recently upgraded a whole lane on the west end, currently have 20+ 50 amp pull through sites available for the dates I suggested, a FEW of them are waterfront.

As time goes by I will check back to see how quickly, if at all this early on, they begin to book them.

You need only prepay for 1 night to hold up to a month and wanting a oceanfront site, unless someone has some issues with the last week in Jan I will probably not wait too long to lock one up with an arrival date of Jan. 23rd and hold 30 days so that we will have a large window and can be flexible as others chime in and shorten the res. later, they have done that for us before without a problem.

With a KOA card they are right at 100 bucks a night.

grantracy
02-16-2008, 09:11 AM
let us know when to book a spot,also next time I am in the Keys will do a drive by check it out and report back.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-16-2008, 10:14 AM
let us know when to book a spot,also next time I am in the Keys will do a drive by check it out and report back.

How about a FLY BY :D

Just Plain Jeff
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
For those who are headed down I-95 to Florida, here's a reminder for bypassing JAX.

Once you get into Florida, look for signs for Route 9A. That'll take you around the eastern side of JAX and drop you out back on I-95 not far from Camp Prevost and avoid the interminable construction through town.

lewpopp
02-25-2008, 10:23 PM
LPJ

Are you sneaking back into town? There goes the neighborhood.

Ben using 9A for a year and it is very nice.