PDA

View Full Version : What tow vehicle would you suggest

dfwcantor
07-17-2013, 09:40 AM
About to get serious about prepping for full-timing, and am looking for a good tow vehicle. Any consensus out there? In Montana last week and saw a lot of Jeep wranglers being towed. Any thoughts appreciated.

dale farley
07-17-2013, 10:21 AM
I know there are several POG members who tow Wranglers. It is a good idea to check the guide that shows a list of all towable vehicles and specs for that particular vehicle. If you are a member of FMCA, this is a link to their guide: http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/pdf/towing_2013.pdf If you are not an FMCA member, I'll be glad to check it for you.

rahangman
07-17-2013, 12:21 PM
We really really like our Jeep Grand Cherokee! Lots of room, versatility, reliability, does not "total" up mileage when being towed. Remember that depending on hitch make/type, if you change your mind, probably a different tow bar will be needed. That said, also, if you go with a supplemental air brake package, if you change your tow vehicle, chances are the equipment for the tow vehicle air brake would be different at your cost...just thinkin out loud.

jack14r
07-17-2013, 01:19 PM
I have towed a Chevrolet 1500 truck for 7 years,it must be 4 wheel drive to flat tow them.I can haul a golf cart and it is 4 doors which works out for day trips.

Gil_J
07-17-2013, 03:31 PM
What kind of vehicle do you want? I really like the no restriction towing of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Unfortunately, after a year and three softwate updates Jeep could never correct the engine fluctuations I had anytime I was subjecting the engine to a steady load, like climbing a hill. This was a V-8. Jeep wouldn't help on a trade for a V-6 equipped Grand Cherokee.

I traded the Jeep for a 2012 Ford Explorer with front wheel drive and really like it and it's fuel mileage improvement over the Jeep. I've towed it about 15,000 miles and it's been 100% trouble-free. FWIW, I do have a charge line ran to the Explorer.

Pete
07-17-2013, 07:41 PM
After towing many vehicles, many miles, I have enjoyed the Jeep Grand Cherokee's the most. Wranglers are also good tow's, but unless you get a 4 door later model, they are difficult to get into and out of in the back seat.
Keep in mind, should you select a Grand Cherokee that it MUST be a Quadra Trac II.
Check with a Jeep dealer for more info. But they are great tow vehicles.

Dick in Wisconsin
07-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Are you a NASCAR driver? That is exactly what I see almost all the Cup and Nationwide drivers and owner towing behind their Prevosts.

Joe Camper
07-17-2013, 07:53 PM
If I were going to fulltime Id be pulling a trailer. Continue to drive whatever U like. U will use the added space loosing a home garage. U can almost if not cover the cost of a trailer for what it costs to completely set up a toad and the best part IMO U will be able to back up when hooked up that's PRICELESS.

Sticks
07-17-2013, 08:07 PM
We've pulled Jeep Grand Cherokees and Wranglers. Both do well.Now have Chevrolet Avalanche and like it best. Can hold full size golf cart in back if that's your wish, but regardless, it holds lots of gear and way easy to put into neutral with no transmission smell after towing. Hurry though, they won't be made after this year. Would go to Chevy pick up if I needed to in future, but planning on owning this for a long time. ( I always say that about all of my vehicles)

pwf252
07-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Been towing a Jeep Wrangler for years, easy to hook up, light = don't know its back there, go most anywhere once you get to where your going (gotta watch those deep ditches in Maine though) and a plus is if it gets a little chipped up being towed what the heck its a Jeep.

jbchevy3
07-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I tow a Wrangler Unlimited 4dr. Easy to get around in, and light too, only way to know its back there is to look in the camera.

Gary Carmichael
07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
I tow a Chevrolet Tahoe, plenty of room, and can haul "things" in the dry, have it equipped with the Air Force One system, just plug up and go, been towing it since 2007, Gary

Jamie Bradford
07-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I just got an 09 Chevy Avalanche - I love it!!!

Room inside - room to haul the golf cart - rides great.

Jamie

dmatz
07-26-2013, 06:34 PM
I tow a Ford Flex AWD 2009. I have put over 50k towing it. The car has lots f room just have to place it neutral and turn ff key. We are going to be buying a new one in the fall or year end.

gavanj
07-27-2013, 09:44 AM
A couple of "off beat" choices. 1 - 2005 - 2006 Range Rover. The only Rovers designed to be towed on all four wheels. If you can find a great used one with low miles, these are incredible 4 x 4's. BMW engine and transmission. Great to drive, you can buy now for $14 - $20K. We have a new Range Rover on order, alas, the news ones you can't tow. Or, 4 x 4 Yukon and Tahoe's with the 4WD option that allows you to dial the 4WD on or off. Again, great ride.