PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of caravan tours to Alaska

Karatara
07-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone,
we are planning an Alaska trip next summer and would like your thoughts about going with a tour or just winging it by ourselves. We have looked at Fantasy Tours and Adventure Treks (seems less structured).
Our daughter just arrived in Anchorage this week (courtesy of the US Army for the next 4 years). She said we would hate the roads and love the scenery. We have mixed feelings about taking our bus there. So, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Karen and Wayne

Gil_J
07-13-2013, 11:36 PM
I gave a caravan some thought but decided the expense and fixed schedule didn't make sense to me. I did talk to those on caravans while on our trip and think, for us, going solo was the right choice. The roads are terrible and worse some times over others. I spoke to someone that did the trip annually for more than 10 years and never had as much as a cracked windshield. His secret was to travel at the begiining and end of the season. If you travel after the last freeze you'll be on the roads before all the road work begins. It's the road work that leads to typical damage. If you travel late in the season most road is done and the excessive gravel used for repairs has made its way to the sides of the road.

Joint base Elmendorf has two decent campgrounds. The Air Force side doesn't have sewer hookups the Army side does. Both are messy in the rain. We preferred the one on the main road in Palmer. It's inexpensive with full hookups, a few 50A sites, and doesn't mind you washing your coach.

I would highly suggest taking the ferry in one direction from Whittier (Anchorage area) to Washington state or to Prince Ruppert. Either will take you around the bad roads. What you saved by not taking a caravan will pay for the ferry. Ferries out of Whittier need to be booked a season in advance. We ended up taking the ferry from Haines to Washington. This route still requires you to drive some of the worse roads.

Slow way down and enjoy the senery. Here's our blog on our trip. www.midlifervtravel.wordpress.com (http://www.midlifervtravel.wordpress.com)

bluevost
07-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Karatara,

I have driven the rig to Alaska twice and would be happy to share info with you. Way to much to list on the forum. Give me a PM and we can talk online.

Ken