PDA

View Full Version : Prevost Remanufactured Meritor Calipers

Jamie Bradford
07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Prevost Remanufactured
Meritor Calipers

garyde
07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
When does Prevost recommend re building or purchasing re built?

Joe Camper
07-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Gary IMO every time U have the bus oil and filters and greased the mechanic should be trying to jiggle the calipers to be sure they are all free. He should also be doing a visual inspection of the dust boots for the caliper slide pins to be sure they are not damaged or cracked or missing. He should also check brake adjustment. Automatic adjusters break too. They quit ratcheting. Have to verify none R failing. The bus needs to either be blocked and supported or on a lift with the brakes released to do these things so it takes about 15 min if already up for service. I would also be scanning everything else. Instinctive for a good mechanic Never go under a bus without zip ties. Always find spots for a few. If any caliper slide boots R damaged or any calipers sticking with brakes released THATS Potentially when Gary. Often slide pin kits will make the fix if U catch it early. The dust boots R very "delicate" if U ask me. Weak link 3 dollar piece. They R OFTEN cracked and then that lower slide pin begins to rust. Even at that point often new slide pins and boots get everything happy again. Using this small tidbit of a suggestion will save U all thousands, print this out and hand it to whoever greases your bus.;) U will never need new calipers unless the ratchet breaks and it quits self adjusting cause it is incorporated into the caliper but I have yet to find one bad. Or maybe U drive over something pretty major and it kicks up. If U really wanted to be proactive U could replace all the slide pins and boots and pin grease every so often and that timeframe would depend on your perticular conditions. A better question might be how often should the lower slide pin, grease and boots be replaced with new should the boots remain in tact? There R also brass pin bushings with the kits. I suppose a mechanic could find a pry point to check for slop but the calipers R so massive the best way to check if the pin to bushing clearance is to remove the caliper. Here too even with significant rust n some lower slide pins the ones I encountered still all had perfect pin bushing clearance with new pins. Unless U have driven a long long way with broken boots U will be fine. If U find rusted lower pins and its suggested U need complete rebuilt calipers next time up on the rack and its the usuall guy ask why was that allowed to progress to that point . There is no excuse either U drove over something or its been overlooked for way too long.

garyde
07-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Great info Joe. Ill print out and review this weekend.