PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Device for RVers

dale farley
06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Garmin Unveils 1st Navigation Device for RVers http://www.rvbusiness.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-print/images/printer_famfamfam.gif (http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/06/garmin-unveils-1st-navigation-device-for-rvers/print/) Print (http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/06/garmin-unveils-1st-navigation-device-for-rvers/print/)

http://www.rvbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/RV760LMT_HR_689.4-300x200.jpg (http://www.rvbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/RV760LMT_HR_689.4.jpg)Garmin navigation device for RVs

Garmin will ship its first portable navigation device (PND) intended for RV users in the summer. According to a press release, the Garmin RV 760LMT will retail for a suggested $399.

The device features a large 7-inch screen and ability to generate routes based on the height and weight restrictions of roads and bridges. Users enter their vehicle’s height, weight, length and width to find routes suitable for their RV, the company said.

The device is also preloaded with America’s RV Parks & Services Directory so drivers can find RV parks, campgrounds, state and national parks, and repair shops. The directory lets users search for 20,000 parks and campgrounds by 20 amenities, such as pet friendliness, onsite laundry facilities, Internet access, and electric hookups. The directory also includes more than 14,000 service locations, including towing, tire shops, truck stops and repairs.

Included BaseCamp desktop software lets users plan a trip ahead of time and download the route to the PND.

The device is compatible with Smartphone Link, a free mobile app that connects the PND to an iPhone or Android smartphone via Bluetooth to receive free and subscription-based live services. Services include weather, points-of-interest (POI) ratings, fuel prices, real-time speed- and red-light-camera alerts, and photoLive Traffic Cameras, which lets users view real-time photos from traffic cameras across the U.S. to see traffic and weather conditions. A local search feature lets consumers use their smartphone’s browser to find a point of interest, then send the POI to the PND via Bluetooth for navigation.

Navigation features include free lifetime maps and free lifetime traffic updates. Traffic updates are delivered via an included power cable/traffic receiver. Spoken turn-by-turn direction technology called Garmin Real Directions guides drivers by recommending turns at recognizable landmarks, buildings and traffic lights rather than simply by street name. Voice-activated navigation enables the PND to respond to spoken commands. Active Lane Guidance provides voice and visual prompts to prepare a driver for turning at an exit or interchange. And photoReal junction view shows graphic displays of junctions and interchanges, including the surrounding landscape and road signs along the route.

rahangman
06-13-2013, 11:36 PM
I just spent another day in one of our cars with my older Garmin. I would not buy another Garmin product without a "test" period with a 100% return which in my case would come about due to advance programing capabilities! Mine is not for an RV, a pretty basic model but I wonder just how much headway they have made in their product being user friendly before and during a trip. I am sure it is a nice unit, but I still like my Delorme, but they say they have no plans for Iphone/Ipad compatability planned. oh well.

dale farley
06-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I have two Garmins and a Tom Tom, and the one thing they all have in common is that they are not 100 % accurate. One of them tells me my house is on the other side of the road. Overall, I do like the Garmin better than the TomTom, and my favorite of the three, is an older 5 inch Garmin that has some RV features built in.

Gil_J
06-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Generally, Garmin is rated very high on their user interface. I'm surprised it took then so long to address the RV market given they already support the over the road market. I have a Magellan and Rand McNally in the coach. The Rand McNally never let me down on my trip last year from FL to AK. It was spot on with CG we stopped at, even in the Yukon.

Joe Camper
06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Those things take half the fun and most of the adventure out of trips. Wouldn't be the same if I didn't get turned around once or twice, wouldn't know how to act if I was to drive right in first shot :rolleyes:

garyde
06-14-2013, 10:41 PM
It takes all the fun out of arguing with the wife!

dmatz
06-15-2013, 05:24 PM
I have been using the Rand McNally truckers GPS sice it came and now there RV GPS and they have been very good. Nothing makes up for knowing where you are going.

rahangman
06-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Doug, I am the same, like to know where I am going, even though I like to say, "I am not lost, just never been here before" That said, I want a unit that can be easily used to "Plan" a trip in advance, hence the DeLorme, but they don't want to do upgrades via Internet and say they will not work on Apple Equip. I Phone

dale farley
06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I used Delorme a few years ago. Doesn't the program have to be loaded on a computer? I still like trip tickets from AAA or using their on-line trip planning service.

Gil_J
06-17-2013, 10:14 AM
I plan trips on my Rand McNally. I also do planning on MS Streets and Trips. For planning I prefer a PC.

jbchevy3
06-17-2013, 08:01 PM
I have good luck using my iPhone and or iPad.

Jamie Bradford
06-17-2013, 08:17 PM
I just upgraded to the Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 Edition from the 2009 Edition I had. It cost $ 19.99 at Staples.

I have been using Streets & Trips for 4 years now and have been very happy with it. I have the GPS version which provides real time navigation.

Jamie

dale farley
06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
This 7 3/8" Rand McNally RVND™ 7720 LM RV GPS for RVs is currently discounted for FMCA members. http://store.randmcnally.com/landing/fmca.html?utm_source=fmcablastjun2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fmca