PDA

View Full Version : Enging battery charger

jello_jeep
12-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, I was waiting on UPS to deliver my fans today, so had a chance to tackle installing the charger for engine batts. I think this was a Mango how to article, but if I am crediting the wrong person... I sincerely apologize ..

I was going to drill it through the base plate in the engine compartment, but decided on mounting it to the top of the trailer relay box. I was going to screw it into that, but decided on silicone instead to keep the integrity of the box, and have no screws protruding into the relay area.

The grey split-loom is the leads for the charger. I hid them under the base plate that mounts above the batteries, and holds the hose reel for the pressure washer.

As I was working on this project in the wind, the engine bay side door kept hitting me in the back, inspite of trying to push the hinge knuckle all the way back.

I decided to drill a hole through the hinge and put a cotter pin through it, so the door was locked open. I drilled another near it in the door frame to hold the pin so I didn't have to search for them when I wanted to lock em open.

Pictures attached for your viewing pleasure :)

truk4u
12-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Nice job Jeep, that's exactly where I put mine and used double sided sticky tape and a nylon strap to hold in place. Looks like you went up to the unused block heater plug also.:D

jello_jeep
12-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I used the xtra plug up yonder. Also found that GFI recepticle needs replacing too, it is cranky..

Hey, to your knowledge, is there accessory air available to the rear of the bus, or do you have to hook on in the "shoebox" under the driver's window??:confused:

Jon Wehrenberg
12-28-2006, 07:37 AM
The air valve located behind the RH tailights in the area you were working will pressurize the whole bus air system, including the aux air system.

truk4u
12-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Diddo what Jon said, mine is on the starboard bulkhead where the door hinges are mounted in your picture.:)

jello_jeep
12-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Can you use air from this location for powering air tools or tire inflation? Has it been through the dryer and all ??:confused:

Jon Wehrenberg
12-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Warren, The place to connect for aux air for tools or to fill the tires is in the steer compartment. That is downstream from the dryer.

There should be a quick connect coupling there at the end of a manifold with three air lines coming from the top. This is unregulated air and will have the same pressure as your bus compressor supplies.

I think Mango posted some pictures in this area recently, but since we are unorganized and out of control I don't know where to suggest looking.

lewpopp
12-28-2006, 10:28 PM
This afternoon I started my coach up to give it my monthly sitting exercise.

It came up to ride height like nothing, but when I went to dump the air to level it....nothing. Where do I look? I tried to raise the front above the normal and it would not budge. I'm stuck in that one position.

I fiddled with the valve control switches just inside the rt front under the driver. Everything seemed to be okay but I am useless when it comes to this diagnosis.

I'm headed to the Parliament rally in a couple weeks and I guess I can travel ok but It should work right. Comments please.

I hesitate to have the people check out my air that fixed my grease seal last year. That haunts me.

Lew

MangoMike
12-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Warren,

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Aux%20Gauge/IMG_3682.jpg

mango

Jon Wehrenberg
12-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Lew,

Provide as much information as possible. For example, when it was sitting prior to raising it up was it down or just sitting level at road height.

Do you have the HWH automatic leveling?

Describe your bus leveling system as much as possible.

If I were to speculate, the first place I would look is to the five valve solenoid pack located on the rear wall in the steering compartment to see if the valves are cycling open and closed when you want to raise or lower the coach.

If they check out (I would just crack the air lines to see if air escapes and shuts off with switch actuation). If they are functioning, it is probable the Norgren valve(s) that allow air to enter or escape from the air bags are not switching because the plunger or spool is stuck.

It sounds like the ride height valves are OK.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Lew,

Another thought on the leveling issue. If you do not have aux air pressure you cannot manually do anything with your leveling system. I think the aux air system has a pressure switch and valve that keeps compressor output to the primary and secondary circuits until around 75 PSI. If there is a failure there you may not have aux air.

If you do not have an aux air gauge, just check to see if your seat has air or if the floor slide works.

jello_jeep
12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks Mango. Mine has one in the forward shoebox too, I was just not sure if there was another place in the engine compartment that one could sponge off of :)

lewpopp
12-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Jon, The air slide and the toilet works.

The coach was sitting in the down level position when I started.

How do you check the 5 valves to see if they activate? I looked at them and tapped them. A bigger hammer is not the answer, I'm sure.

I have 120 lbs pressure from my aux comp that fededs most of the system.

By cracking the line I will be assured if I have air in the system. I'm sure I have air. I thought the air for the leveling system came from the engine compressor tank and not the aux tank.

Presently I am jacked up to ride height( I hope) and cannot dump it or raise it. I'll screw with the solonoids. As I said before, I don't really know what to do to them. I had one replaced and it looked like it just plugged in. Thanks

Lew

Jon Wehrenberg
12-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Lew,

The way the solenoids work within the system (this may vary because each converter seems to do their own thing) is to open or close when you actuate the leveling switches. Each one has a small air line coming out of it. So if you loosen the air lines so you can hear air escape you know the solenoid is opening or closing depending on the leveling system switch positions.

If air is flowing and shutting off then you can rule out a defective solenoid valve. You have already ruled out whether your aux system is being charged with air.

The air those solenoids control is the air to the actuators on the end of the Norgren valves. That air moves the plunger to move the Norgren valve spool. If the spool does not move side to side (usually moved by air pressure fron the solenoids, and returned by a spring) then nothing will happen.

Ed Roelle who posts on the other board had a situation similar to yours on a Royale, and it turned out his aux system was water logged and the water had caused the valves to stick.

The leveling system is complex so the only way to isolate a problem is to methodically follow the air through the system and find out where it is stopped.

lewpopp
12-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Jon, problem solved.

When I got thinkin' about how did sumpin like dis happening, I got to thinking that when I changed the lights on the rocker switches, I had that side panel pulled up. I took it out to see if there were any wires pulled out and I found the multiple type plug pulled out from down in the upper compartment. The pigtail wasn't too long and I must have pulled it out. My bride worked on the outside and I tried to feed the plug down to her. Everything ok.

Thanks for all of your help.

Happy 45th Anniversary My 3rd is coming up Sunday also. I enjoyed 42 with my first. Enjoy!

Lew

Jon Wehrenberg
12-30-2006, 07:48 AM
And I'll bet that set of wires went to the solenoid valves.

MangoMike
12-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Lew,

Jon is right on the money, those 45 years with Di have really paid off. The wire from this panel.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Dash%20Light/IMG_7445.jpg

...travels directly to this bank of solenoid valves right below in the steering bay.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Manifold/IMG_2824.jpg

You can easily check if these solenoids are being activated.

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Manifold/IMG_3330.jpg

Learn about the pinch test here:

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Manifold/Manifoldpg2.html

MIke