PDA

View Full Version : Leak under front grill

dfwcantor
05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Picture attached: 2002 Marathon XLV1S. Can you tell me what this leak is most likely to be? It showed up after a 1100 mile trip, no alarms, noises, problems, etc. It is located on the drivers side just behind the front grill. There is a undercarriage panel with a slot in it which is where it seems to be coming from, but I cannot see the source. It is slightly oily but odorless and colorless.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

mike kerley
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
On a Country Coach, it would be the AC drain for the dash AC

Gil_J
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
It's either coolant coming from dash or Webasto heat or power steering fluid. My bet is coolant. My 99 does the same and is dripping ever so slowly from a check valve (I think that is what it is).

Joe Camper
05-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Oderless and colorless and leaves a oily spot. I say Freon. Dash condensate tube is over by the door coolant and power steering fluid has smell and color.

Curisair A/C condensate is coming off the evaporators not the condensors

What did U see with the bumper down??

Joe Camper
05-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Is there possibly a junair air compressor in there?

dfwcantor
05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
How do I lower the bumper? 'Scuse my ignorance.

Joe Camper
05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
No dumb questions here. Unless Marathon added another latch or changed what is from Prevo top center of the bumper reach in and over and squeese.

dfwcantor
05-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks Joe - dropped the bumper. There is a suspicious looking short rubber hose which is part of the dash air conditioning - I think it is going to turn out to be Freon. Too cold to run it tonight. I'll try running the dash air for a while when we a get a warm day, but I think I have the answer. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Joe Camper
05-10-2013, 07:47 AM
This brings up a good point for the lookers and buyers out there.

I have come to some solid cnclusions about dash air on buses for sale.

When looking at a bus without OTR a/c and only dash air make sure U ask the seller when was the last time they added freon and hw often they do it. Make them get on the record answering that question.

Heres Y

I have looked at more than a few buses for folks that it leaked, the seller simply added prior to the preoffer inspection and it was not till after purchase that it was discovered.

OTR A/C U cant get away with this as easily it holds 24lbs and when it begins to leak U are forced to fix it or its broke unlike the dash air that can often have small to moderate leaks and with a couple cans of freon will function fine for a while..

That is exactly what many do. After a repair estimate or even sometimes after spending significant amunts of doe trying to fix it and failing many decide that because a couple cans of freon will get a guy a week or 10 days of good opporation thats how it gets used.

Even the best mechanics will not catch that if the bus has been cleaned good prior to inspection.

Good luck and happy hunting.

n33d2camp
05-10-2013, 08:31 AM
That's a big wet spot and for it to be refrigerant oil the bus had to be sitting there for a while and the mess inside the bay would be really visible through the side door.

Anybody look at the power steering connections or hoses? Is it red?

dfwcantor
05-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I ran the generator for 30 minutes and the engine for about 15 (no air conditioning) and noticed some fresh leakage on the ground. Behind the bumper was a collection of fluid that looked like clean yellowish oil. Definitely not Dexron. It seemed to be coming from one or both of 2 hoses, one red and on blue, about 3/4" diameter connected to metal fittings with short (2") rubber hoses with ring clamps. I had assumed these were air conditioning hoses. Maybe the leak is above them but I can't see it and can't think of why ?oil/hydraulic fluid would be that forward under the dash. Checked power steering reservoir and it is full of pink fluid not yellow. Any ideas? Into the shop it is going for sure, but I always like to have some clue about what to expect.

Gil_J
05-11-2013, 06:21 PM
What color is your coolant? My red and blue hoses are dash heat and Webasto; both have engine coolant running through them.

Joe Camper
05-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I would suggest U havent looked good enough yet look again and harder. What additinal stuff U saw could have been rezidual.

Clean what is there and repeat

dfwcantor
06-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Coolant going to the dash heat exchanger. Circuit is only active when either webasto heater is working or when dash heat is on. Thanks for all the input!

Gil_J
06-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Exactly what I thought. You should have shutoff valves near the engine to turn off the dash heat. You may have another set of valves in the same area depending on how the converter plumbed the Webasto system. It's summer time so you can just turn these off.

gmcbuffalo
06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
You should have a low point drain point somewhere in the front. You can drain the coolant and replace the rubber hose connections or just give them a little tightening was a screwdriver if they have an adjustable band.

Gil_J
06-01-2013, 09:27 PM
The only drain on mine is at the heat exchanger behind the dash. Clearly not a low point. I suspect it's really to purge air from the line. Your's may be different than mine.

gmcbuffalo
06-02-2013, 12:12 AM
I would think the converter must have put a low point drain somewhere, maybe near the water heaters. Hard to believe they would make you drain all 28 gals out of the engine and radiator just to work on the webasto system.

n33d2camp
06-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Shut the valves off in the engine compartment for the coolant loop and you probably have valves for the Webasto.