PDA

View Full Version : Transmission alert

merle&louise
12-26-2006, 09:18 PM
My check engine light came on today and at the same time a message was displayed "TPS circuit failure low" on the PRO DRIVER. Also, "SERVICE" was displayed on the transmission shifter display.

These alerts would flash on for about 3 minutes, then off for 4 or 5 minutes then back on again. I stopped and checked the oil in the transmission using the arrows on the shifter pad, all tested o.k.

This sounds to me like the same problem that Fast Roger had returning from POG II, a bad throttle position sensor.

The transmission temperature was not high (180). Engine oil - o.k. and coolant level was o.k.

What do you guys think?:confused:

Joe Cannarozzi
12-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Merel, remove the radiator cap and slide a Prevost under it:D

That is the best remedy, dont ya think?

rfoster
12-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Tuga. That is exactly what mine stated in Williams Az the am after POG2. Sounds like the big difference is you can still go, mine would not exceed low idle. even the fast idle would not work.

Remove your accelerator pedal and there should be a little plastic enclosure electronic deal with some wires coming out of it. That is the throttle position sensor. Remove it and proceed to the truck supply house and most times they can get a number off it and find a suitable replacement - under 100 lew bucks but not enough to buy two burgers.

Good Luck- hopefully this is just an early wake up call. I missed mine.

merle&louise
12-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey Joe,

Mango Mike had a similar suggestion when my alternator crapped out. No dice, I'm very happy with my Newell. I've got to have the slides - can live without them.

Besides, I just changed the radiator cap!:D :D

merle&louise
12-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Roger,

Thanks for the tip; I'll try it first thing in the morning. We are in Columbus, GA visiting friends. I'm sure that I can find a DD store and hopefully they will have the part in stock.

Do I have to do anything special before I disconnect the TPS?

rfoster
12-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Tuga: I don't recall doing anything special, just remove the pedal from the floor and it exposed the little boogar. Two screws hold it in place. You might want to call a few places first for those encouraging words like," I don't think we have it, but if you bring it in we'll see what we can find". I believe it was a place called Williams in Flagstaff that I went to and the first 2 counter people didn't have it, but the third (straw boss) came in and got the numbers off it and cross referenced to a part that he said would work. It didn't look quite right at the time, but I did'nt have any other options at that point. It worked!

lewpopp
12-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I love this word. POTENTIOMETER. THATS THE NAME OF THE PART IF i'M NOT MISTAKEN.

Lew

MangoMike
12-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Tuga,

Sounds like another spare part to add to the Ace Bay. I just purchased the 3 main sensors, oil, water and boost from Prevost to keep on hand after reading a previous post about a month ago. They weren't cheap either (one was $196). Then after telling it to JDUB a couple a days ago he bought the same ones on ebay for about $30. I like a frugal Texan.

Mike

truk4u
12-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Mango,

DD part numbers for the sensors please?:o

Jon Wehrenberg
12-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Tom,

I love that avitar. First truck I ever drove. The only "B" models you ever see now are restored and only show up in parades.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Tuga,

If your coach is drivable, consider the warning to be just that. It probably had a momentary failure, and that is a signal for things to come. As Roger pointed out, when it fails it will only idle. The fix is simple so it might be worth doing it while you can still drive the coach.

It failed on my 1987, but after I monkeyed around with the connector a little it started working again, but I was lucky.

Tom, There are different part numbers and types. My old one is not like my current one so if you are thinking of filling your parts box, you may want to have DD identify the right one for ole red.

MangoMike
12-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Trukbud,

Sensors from Prevost Parts 800 621-5519

turbo boost sensor 561941 $101

adec oil pressure sensor 561907 $196

low coolant sensor # 064252 $159

Again I have to say that JDUB found these on ebay at a fraction of the cost. Plus I'll bet they're cheaper direct from Detroit Diesel. But just reading posts from guys about sensor failures on the road it seemed like relatively cheap insurance to carry them. Will add Fast Rogers/Tuga's throttle controller next.

Again Jon is right about verifying model/year with appropiate parts number.

Mike

merle&louise
12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Guys,

The part number on the TPS is 130656 9730.

I called a DD shop in Columbus, GA. They informed me that they USED TO BE A DD SHOP. They tried to cross the number but couldn't find anything.

They suggested that I contact Williams DD in Allbenning, GA. I spoke to Lee in the parts department and he will try to trace it. He said that the TPS # is NOT a DD part number. I also called my home town DD service shop and they said the same thing, it is not a DD part number.

I emailed Newell, and I will have them send me a TPS at my home address, since we will only be here in Columbus, GA until Saturday.

Thanks for the help guys, it's nice to know that I can always depend on my buddies in POG.

THIS IS BEST $100 THAT I HAVE EVER SPENT!

merle&louise
12-31-2006, 10:40 PM
We drove home from Columbus, GA yesterday and the "check engine light" did not come on once during the 8 hour trip. As matter of fact, the PRO DRIVER alert "TPS circuit failure low" message didn't appear either.

I am still going to change the TPS when I find one and just keep the old one as a spare (since it has worked for 8 hours on the road).

I wonder if unplugging it and re-plugging it back in could have reset the circuit?

garyde
12-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Happy New Year Tuga. Your unplugging and repluging in the unit may have been the trick. Is there anyway to confirm with Detroit or Allison? Gary

merle&louise
01-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Gary,

After the holidays are over, I will contact DD or Allison and find out if disconnecting and re-connecting the TPS reset it. I will post and let everyone know.

bill&jody
01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
i like that recommendation about the radiator cap. i've heard that also as "jack up the whistle, slide in a new boat".
in the nerd biz, its called forklift upgrade.

wmm