PDA

View Full Version : New Trailers

Joe Cannarozzi
12-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Yo Jeff so tell us what was it like pulling that large new trlr over the mountians. Everything O/K we all hope?:)

Jeff Bayley
12-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Joe- I just now got the car loaded after taking my sweet time securing the misc junk to the top level of the stacker. Plenty of room to spare if I want to stop and buy junk for the new house on the way back I guess. So it's 5:30pm PST and I'm ready to shove off. Might leave tonight. More later I guess. I drove here to CA using 1-10 but can't remember what I went over for mountains. I can tell you that it's more than a fly back there. I guess I'm around 16,000 pounds with the car and stuff since the trailer was 12,000 pounds empty. I'd like to weight it somehwhere but I don't think I should stop at the scales off the hwy and take a chance of getting scrutinzied for the length. Don't some truck stops have scales ?

lewpopp
12-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Go on line for www.flyingj.com and they will tell you where all of them are and they all have scales.

Lew

Joe Cannarozzi
12-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Just checked fuel prices on that site 2.39 in Gary Ind.

Did ya ever think we'd be happy to be paying that:rolleyes:

I think the cheepest I saw was 2.35 over Jon and Rodgers way.

Jeff Bayley
12-25-2006, 04:14 AM
I left Carlsbad alright X-Mas Eve and put 300 miles behind me. Just stopping now at 2am. The first 70 miles sucked and I could already tell I didn't want to fuss with a trailer this big long term but it was mostly due to climbing 4,000 feet in only 50 or 60 miles. I crawled along at 35 miles an hour in 3rd gear sometimes. I figured out to keep the RPM's up in 5th gear prior to hitting the hill and it helped but there is a very noticeable drop in climbing power. I'm sure this is not anything new for most of you seasoned owners but this is a first trailer pulling experience for me so any additional tips welcomed. I had it up to 85 MPH and all ok.

After getting over the first round of hills and getting on a flat straight road I'm not as pestamistic about the trailer. Not sure what the opinion will be after 3k miles.

I think the better part of the extra strain from the load is on the transmission more than the engine. These engines go in semi's do they not ? The transmission they pair up with it different though. Like a 13 speed manual I think. My arm chair mechanic guess is that the greater toll is on the tranny. Confirmation welcomed.

One thing I could use some advise on is how to best reduce the chance of exhusting / overheating the turbo when climbing over the mountains. The boost would hold steady at around 23 while climbing. My first bus had a temperature exhust gauge to give you some help about on temp and it changed very rapidly in a hill that like unlike the water temperature. It is absent on this bus. It seems like my acceleration rate decreases for a bit immediatly following a climb for several minutes as if to suggest the turbo is tired. It almost feels like the turbo is not working at all although I'm still showing boost. Seems like acceleration is slower and almost non exhistent even if I'm leveled off. Could be my imagination. Throwing it out there in case I'm not imagining this.

dreadnought
12-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Dude! Do not pull into a state owned scale house! That's just asking for trouble. They get paid to remove money from your pocket and they are good at it. Most all truck stops have scales and will weigh you for around $7. The best are "Cat Scales" that are guaranteed accurate.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Going from never even pulling a toad to 16000lbs on the hitch and then right over the mountian to boot. Thats why I asked the question in the first place:p

Let me put your mind at ease about the pyro guage though.
I'm guessen your probably around 60000lb or so and you are correct those motors are built for 80000. Add in the fact that it is cool this time of year and the exhaust gas temp. isint gonna be a factor. Id be watching the trans temp guage though. Im sure its gonna preform just fine in the flat.

Hows the brakes. I'm also guessin that 3 more braking axles with only an additional 16000 might actually improve braking?

jack14r
12-25-2006, 08:55 AM
I was at marathon in florida and i spoke with a coach driver of a newer marathon and I asked him what his h3 weighed and he said 62000 lbs.then i asked what does your stacker trailer weigh he replied 20000 lbs.We talked for awhile and he told me that the coach has a 4.86 rear gear and it will pull to 2300rpm which he said a texas trooper friend of his radared him at 108mph late one night,the DD60 is made to pull 80000+lbs in hot weather,but there is nothing wrong with checking the gages.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I'd a never guessed that an H3 weighed that much. Do I dare say that's too much for a camper:rolleyes:

108 hu? whew

By the way, hello Jack, welcome to the club and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

jack14r
12-25-2006, 09:26 AM
the h3 is owned by a nascar driver I am sure it is full of marble and granite,also it is a triple slide.the stacker trailer has a tahoe,two harleys,and a golf cart inside.I would not want to buy a coach that starts out that much over gross.

Kevin Erion
12-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Jeff,
If I could make a suggestion, take it easy and don't push it. In the long run you will make better time because you won't be sitting on the side of the road waiting for help. I have a trailer that weights in at about 16K or 17K and this past summer we saw 150 degree tire temps, you are lucky to be making the trip when the temps are low but still take it slow, 60 or 65 max and everything will stay happy, including your wallet.
Kevin

bill&jody
12-25-2006, 12:58 PM
we towed a box trailer with car and bike (approx 8000 lbs total) this summer from south connecticut to approx 1700 ft level in randolf vermont.
not nearly as steep as the section of 77 just before getting to 81, more like a long low rise with lots of dips.
we got an amazing 3.7 mpg on that trip! :-(

i got a valve adjust at a DD shop in middletown ct - maybe i'm just imagining it, but i think i can tell a diff - we don't seem to slow down on hills nearly as much. and the pyrometers match much better.

we did a cat scale in polk city florida jsut after pog I - a tadge over 41000. didn't have a trailer in those days tho.
since then we've jetisoned a few things, most notably the washer/dryer - 300 lbs of useless junk IMHO.

QUESTION: is there an aftermkt tranny cooler for these things similar to ones you can get for 4-wheelers?

cheers,
wmm

Jon Wehrenberg
12-25-2006, 01:51 PM
WMM,

I am thinking that when looking in the rear doors, to the left (which is the RH side of the engine) down low is the intercooler for the transmission on an 8V92.

Even when pulling hard if things are in good shape with the transmission you should match engine temps closely, which is OK. Unless you have something wrong the only way you should ever see the transmission temps rise too much is if you have overfilled it.

Jeff Bayley
12-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Joe- Triple axle; yes, but remember this trailer is not the typical set up with all the axles together. I have two in the rear and the front wheels track/steer so I suspect the brakes were omitted on the front axle although I have not checked.

I would not say my breaking is superior but the trailer seems to be stopping itself at least. The brake adjustment (remember this is a first for me) it adjustable with different levels of that this manufacture refers to as "boost". Boost 1,2,and 3 for 3 levels of aggresivness depending on the payload and also depending on the weight ratio of trailer to tow vehicle. The Boost level gives the trailer brakes a jump start ahead of the tow breaks when you start to break. It feels like it's working as described in the maual. I had on B1 when it was empty and set it to B2 after I loaded it. Also, you turn a second adjustment (a wheel in this model brake sending unit) which adjusts the brakes as well. As you turn it up, the voltage reads out as to what your sending to the trailer brakes. I have it calibrated to read 8 volts when I throw the manual lever. I suppose this doesn't mean much to anyone as it you sort of set the setting (and subseqently the drag) by feel. I think it could stand to go up a bit more.

I can feel the trailer nudge the bus around a littel bit but it tracks straight as an arrow and with the axels offset the way they are the attention to a balanced load is far less critical to prevent it from swaying. The factory (converter?) hitches are rated for 10k pounds someone said and I'm at least 16k pounds but the guy that had this trailer before me had a stock type hitch if stock is correct. I don't know if the converters all put them different or if it comes from Prevost welded on.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Here's some free advice worth every cent you pay for it.

The Prevost rating is critical. That hitch, as set up is attached to the engine cradle. Think of the hitch ball as being on the end of a long lever arm, especially on 45 foot coaches.

As your trailer tongue is set up you do not have any substantial vertical loads, but the side loads (which the cradle is not designed to handle) can be excessive. If I am not mistaken there are Prevost designed or approved hitches for the weights you are towing.

Jeff Bayley
12-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Jon- With my front axle I think I'm getting a little help on reduced side to side motion along with reduced tounge weight. Another benefit to the front axle I hadn't thought of until you mentioned the side motion.

Kevin- I don't think I properly thanked you for taking my call last week on this trailer subject. Thank you. Thank you also for the warning and I will head that caution. I only had up to 85 for a short burst to help getting up a hill. On this subject though, I noticed it seems to be happier at 65 mph keeping the RPM's higher. I think I have less strain on the drive train here. Of course I use 5th gear at 55mph and do the same.

I keep hoping I'm not going to feel a sudden sense of lighter weight only to look in the mirror and see the trailer sailing off into the trees. Weeee. (yes, I have the safety chains attached).

Oh, didn't get stopped on exit from CA last night. Xmas Eve probabley a good choice to escape. I stopped at the AZ Border Patrol check point resisting the urge to "bust the gate going 98 and their ain't no gate no more........let them truckers roll ..10-4". The Border Patrol said I was over my legal limit of Mexicans and made 4 of them get off. I've only got 3 left now to help me drive to Florida.

Didn't anyone get a new bus from their wife under the tree this morning to report on ?

garyde
12-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Jon- With my front axle I think I'm Oh, didn't get stopped on exit from CA last night. Xmas Eve probabley a good choice to escape. I stopped at the AZ Border Patrol check point resisting the urge to "bust the gate going 98 and their ain't no gate no more........let them truckers roll ..10-4". The Border Patrol said I was over my legal limit of Mexicans and made 4 of them get off. I've only got 3 left now to help me drive to Florida.

Didn't anyone get a new bus from their wife under the tree this morning to report on ?
Hi Jeff. I like that. ESCAPE from CALIFORNIA. Sounds like a new Movie.

lewpopp
12-25-2006, 09:47 PM
108 MPH.... Hmmmmmm, what's the last thing that goes through a bugs' mind as he hits the windshield? Answer: His ass. Just think about stopping that much weight when a deer darts in front of you. Oh you'll say, hit the bugger, but you won't give it another thought until it's too late and you'll hit the BINDERS. That's automatic. By then, you're SOL.

Lew

Jon Wehrenberg
12-26-2006, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about a bus going 108. Especially with those gears.

Sounds like some fertilizer for my tomatoes.

Just as a comment sure to irritate the hell out of some, every time I see a Prevost go blowing by at a high rate of speed I immediately think about how the driver is clueless. As Lew points out all it takes is a deer to jump in the path or some airhead talking on a cell phone doing the unexpected and my insurance ends up getting another increase because it is going to be a mess.

Our buses do not stop very well. I'm amazed that folks smart enough to buy a Prevost haven't figured out the consequences of driving beyond the capabilities of the bus.

Flame away guys.....

Orren Zook
12-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Half that speed can make some emergency stops pretty difficult.... I was driving south on I-77 between Statesville and Charolotte a couple of years ago at about 50 mph when the lady driving the car in front of me decided to stop for the stop sign on the entrance ramp!?!? The concrete barriers in the construction area and other traffic prevented any chance of 'evasive action', thankfully I had left just enough of a cushion between us to slide to a stop with less than a foot of space to spare. Talk about an adrenaline rush

Jeff Bayley
12-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Just to make sure I'm not fingered accidentley for the yahoo going 108 mph.........that was a friend of a friend somewhere above. I only go 85mph for short distances to get a running start up the hill. I'll admit to that which is still probabley cause for admonisment.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Just so there is no doubt where I stand on this Jeff, you are right on the ragged edge.

That is not an opinion, but a fact based on your own posts. I'm not looking for a fight but to offer some more of that free advice. Your trailer exceeds the Prevost weight limit. You can spin that any way you want but 10,000 pounds is the limit.

But by your own admission you not only have exceeded the speed limit by going at 85, but your tires have a speed limit of 75.

Nothing I say will change your free spirit attitude, but you sound and act young enough to consider yourself bulletproof. I hope you never have a fool pull out in front of you, I hope you never have a blow out and I hope your trailer never separates from the ball hitch because if any of those things happen it is going to be very ugly.

Beside being chickens there is a reason us old farts are around to pick on you. We learned from our mistakes.

Jeff Bayley
12-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I feel like a got spanked but only because I respect your opinon. Ouch. Even for a short "get a running start" its a bad idea then. I didn't know that the tires had a 75mph limit. That's news and valuable.

Talking about old vs young though......here's a weird twist of a story that happend yesterday on that as regards being more careful. A case where the old guy embarrased me by his fearlessnesss.

I pulled into a truck stop and found an RV lot they owned way in the back with plug in's and the sign says $15 a night. I joined Passport America for $40 a year and that cuts in half at any of their affiliates (they have a bunch) at only $7.50 a night. I'm staying here for a few days. I look out my window yesterday monring (Xmas morning) and I see an old fart fiddling with his coach and I said to myself "Self, you better get out there and see if that old fart can stand straight enough to hold your new telescopic ladder while you climb on the roof of the trailer and fix the broken vent before it rains in there on all your stuff". Sure enough, he was healthy and strong enough to hold the ladder but when I got to the top of the roof I found the ladder still uncomforabley short to be able to safely get back down. I sat up there fiddling with my body language imagining that it was going to be hard to get down without falling. The old fart said "Hey come on down from there and let me have a look". He marched up the ladder and onto the roof so fast it made my head spin and fixed the vent and came back down the ladder without incident. I felt like a weenie.

There's one for the old farts. The guys used to be a painter he said and worked on ladders all the time but that sure surprised me.

What I'm most afraid of regarding the bus is having a front time blow out at highway speed. I've heard that holding the bus straight takes all your might. Anybody ever had this happen ? I saw a bus for sale advertising that it had a safety device to help keep the coach straight in this event. Don't know if they work or how much they are to install but that sounds like a good idea if it works. It was described as "Howard active steering option. Holds the steering wheel straight in windy conditions or in case of a tire failure."

Jon Wehrenberg
12-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Jeff,

I'm sorry if it came across like I was spanking you. I was trying to help you understand everything we do has limits, and these buses certainly have their share of them.

I know a fellow that has personally contributed to our high insurance rates. He was very proud of his high speed driving. Right up until his late model Marathon was rolled into a ball due to a blow out.

I admit to getting preachy on this forum because some folks seem to think such things as weight limits on axles, tire pressures (based on the weight the tires carry), tire speed limits are only suggestions. They are not. If people that ignored these limits were only exposing themselves to the consequences my attitude would be a whole lot different, but because these buses are so big and heavy, a lot of people could be seriously affected just because someone doesn't know or care about the limits and why they should be respected.

When you say old fart, watch out for Harry. He is a little sensitive in that area.

MangoMike
12-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Jeff,
We're all still in the learning phase when it comes to the busses. It seems like every trip out I learn something new. Which hopefully will add to my knowledge base and keep me safe, happy and maint. free on the road. Just soak it all in and keep reading the posts.

I have the Howard steering assist on my bus. I have no idea what affect it will have on a blow out, but would like to know. I will tell you that it works great in a crosswind. Like trimming a rudder on a plane you just set it and it will track against a crosswind with ease. It came with my bus so I can't give you and idea of cost or installation.

Good luck on your trip.

Mike

truk4u
12-27-2006, 08:41 AM
The Howard steering is designed to be fail safe, it can't cause any steering issues. I like it, works great when trimmed properly.

Jeff - There are several add on steering devices, I have had several of the Safety Plus Systems and installed them myself. This is a large shock absorber added to the steering linkage. It did help the plastic coach from the tail wiggle due to whimpy wheelbases. You can buy these at Camping World, but I see no reason to ever add one to a Prevost.

Flat front tire - Yep, have had two, always in 18 wheelers and no problem.

Jeff Bayley
12-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm going 60mph nice and steady and no problems except that I want to get the brakes checked. I stopped to rest / sleep and went around and felt the hubs right after stopping and burned my hand it was so hot. The other 3 hubs were ice cold. I suspect the brake my only be working on one wheel or the hub may need grease . I stopped and felt these a few times along the route before leaving CA and never felt any heat before.

Petervs
12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
My 94 Marathon came with the Howard Steering and it is a really nice system.

Not only does it keep the bus going straight down the highway when you are in a crosswind, it also reduces the steering sensitivity a little so when you are on the freeway the steering inputs are less to keep in the lane. Easier driving.

Once while driving across Iowa with a 60 miles per hour direct crosswind, and I stoppeed and used a wind speed meter to check it, I had the Howard Steering turned on and at it's maximum 120 psi pressure setting. That much wind it could not compensate for, and every time we passeed a truck or were passed by one, there was a large directional excursion as the side wind changed quickly. It made me realize how nice the system was at all other times when it worked just fine. And made me feel sorry for those coaches that did not have it, especially the plastic ones.

When I get off the highway, I switch the system off to make maneuvering in parking lots, etc. easier. The wheel is a little easier to turn with Howard Steering off.

merle&louise
12-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Jeff,

I had a driver's side front tire blow out on my 93 Newell on I 25 nearby the Santa Fe Skies RV park where POG 2 was held. I was on cruise control at 65 mph (my usual speed) when the tire blew. The coach tracked straight and I slowed down and pulled off onto the shoulder. No damage to the coach, but of course the tire was ruined. I was lucky; had I been on a curve or riding in the left (passing lane) lane I might not have been able to pull over quickly enough to slow down quickly.

Moral to this story is SLOW DOWN. If I would have been haulin' butt, I would have ruined my rim or worse. The difference between 65 and 75 is significant; 85+ is nuts! Slow down and enjoy the ride of your beautiful bus.

We like you Jeff and we want you to be around for a long time.:cool:

Jeff Bayley
12-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Tuga- Thanks again for yet another reminder. I've slowed down already. I didn't go very far today. I'm worried about the hot hub but I'm in the middle of the New Mexico dessert with nothing much around. I need to limp into Alb. NM to get the trailer looked after. I'm trying to find a place closer but there ain't much in these here parts.

Coloradobus
12-27-2006, 11:10 PM
There's a Stewart and Stevenson (S and S) in Albuquerque not far off of the Hwy. I-40 just east east of I-25 if you haven't found it already.
We are getting ready for another REALLY BIG SNOW!!:eek: :eek:

rfoster
12-28-2006, 09:01 AM
COBUS:
Speaking of Snow - My youngest is flying out to Denver Sat for Ski/Fun in the snow type deal/ for a few days. Is it a Blizzard Forecast again, is the all weather airport good to go or still full of stranded travelers?

I hope the dreaded thread police don't ticket me this time!

Coloradobus
12-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey Roger,

All the stranded christmas travelers are gone. The airlines are now cancelling some flights. The weather channel even has sent Jeff Bettis ( Abrams and Bettis show) here for coverage.Last week Jim Cantore was stranded in Crested Butte and couldn't cover our snow locally. Guess he skied instead.:D Haha, right now, all we have is rain. They say by rush hour we should have 5 inches, with another 9-18 over night. That is far as they can tell. One model of the clouds, they say will last until sunday. Another model says it will end tomorrow morning. So, as usual its a crap-shoot.
I have been trying to find a set of chain for the Airstream van since we are taking it to Rocky Mountain National Park for New Years. So far, no luck.
No luck means no go, its 2 wheel drive. They "SAY" there is another storm poised off the coast for mid week next week. Hope we can get out of here friday the 5th in the Coach for Palm Springs! I really don't want to chain up the bus.:eek:

Update 545pm mt time we have 6 inches of snow and they say it is coming down an inch a hour. Its a heavy wet spring like snow. Go figure. Friday, we should get the cold and wind, wonderful!

Toy Box
12-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Jeff: I had a right side front blowout on my 93 40' xl two years ago. I was on i-95 south bound at about 68-70 mph. The first indication I had of the problem was a slight vibration of the rear view mirror. My first thought was a bad section of road as I knew my tires were new (less than 4000 miles) and I had checked the air pressure back at the Daytona track only 130 miles back. Before you could say Mango Kelly, the tire blew REALLY LOUD. I actually had no problem keeping it straight and eased off the throttle and slowed off on the shoulder. What I found when we got out was a couple of tire beads and a mangled coil of steel belts (from the guts of the tire). Luckily, the only damage to the bus was a section of foam insulation. Managed to change the tire in about an hour and continued South only to find not one, but two semi's less than a mile down both with flats! So, I feel it may have been some road debris, BUT, you never know. As for your hot wheel hub, check the wheel hub for oil NOW!!! If you have a leaking wheel seal, not only will you loose the brakes on that wheel, but you run the risk of heating up the wheel bearing so much that the bearing race can become welded to the spindle. I know....

Jeff Bayley
12-29-2006, 05:49 AM
For those that don't know, I didn't buy this trailer yet. I tried to buy it but someone in Georgia beat me to it so I'm using it from CA to FL in exchange for delivering the thing. I've been talking to guy about buying it from him for a profit but I've decided against it due to the weight primarily. 12,000 pounds empty before you even load the thing. That's just too much. The stainless is pretty and let's it match the coach but you pay the price for that both in the cost of the trailer and the weight. I spoke with a guy selling a Featherlite trailer and he said this brand of trailer (Competitive) is known for being plauged with axle issues from being too heavy. I guess even his double stacker Featherlite is still 10,000 pounds.

I'll look around for a non stacker that weighs 5,000 pounds or so if I still want a trailer by the time I get to FL. I did wind up weighing this thing and it is 17,000 pounds with one car. I thought about and decided that is too much weight.

Regarding the front tire blow outs, it sounds like the notion of using all your might to hold the wheel straight is a myth of sorts. I wonder why that guy told me his was harder to hold straight like that. I won't burden myself with worry over it anymore.

Orren Zook
12-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Jeff,

Phil Cooper just listed a stacker trailer.... maybe you could swap that one you have out. more info at: www.philcooper.com

dreadnought
12-29-2006, 06:10 PM
I looked at it. $90,000 bucks for a USED stacker? :eek: That's insane. We sold a brand new one 2 years ago for $30,000.

Jeff Bayley
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
$90,000 is off the wall for sure. Dumb. I understand that new tricked out Featherlites are $150,000 however. Dummer.

Even if you look at $50,000 for a trailer, check this out; you might as well buy a $30,000 plastic coach and tear it apart and make a trailer out of it with the spare $20,000 in modifications. Guess you would need a front engine in order to make this work and it might not actually be pracical but if you look at what you can buy for $50,000 and compare it to a trailer with no bathroom, generator, A/C , etc, etc, then it even compares out to look more expensive. Or start with a passenger bus for $10,000 and go from there modifying it. (nutty idea probabley). Then you have a trailer with it's own engine ! The downside is you need another driver of course.

I can't wait to get to Florida and take a bus break. Trailer ain't for me at present but if I do buy one I'll get something that weighs 5,000 lbs or less. 10,000 pounds with a payload is my comfort zone. When I was pulling this trailer empty it was 12,000 pounds and the feel of that was tollerable. At 17,000 pounds with one car it's too much for my taste. I'm waiting for something to break.

Orren Zook
12-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, I guess it is a little pricey, but hey... 3 axles and only 35 feet long - perfect for use in California. What do you suppose something like that scales out at empty?

Jeff Bayley
12-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I talked to a guy selling a Featherlite similar to this one and he said it weighs 10,000 pounds empty. Adding the stainless to make it match our coaches puts roughly 2,000 more pounds on it. That's too heavy either way for my tastes. I'll shop around for something about 5,000 pounds empty. If anyone see's one I might like I would appreciate the continued leads.

truk4u
12-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Jeff,
Hurry, your going to be late for New Years in Bradenton, I'm already there!:D

Joe Cannarozzi
12-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Jeff, Mr. Dingle tells me you been on the phone with him pretty regular latley.

Sounds like the ride home has been very educational:eek:

We are over here looking for ya.

Jeff Bayley
12-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Joe-

Yes, I had a bearing burn up am dealing with service. I didn't post it yet because I know their is going to be the "I told you so" to deal with. Even though I was only going fast for short uphill running starts and don't think this was mortally wounding I still got to take the medicine.

I couldn't have broke down in a worst out of the way spot. 100 miles north or south to the closest decent resources. I got a new spindle welded on to the axle. Got the axle back on today and went to check bearings is the rest of them and the front bearings had too much eveidence of being underwater and some rust. Already purchased the bearings when getting the other parts so I'd have them on hand.

As an aside, the mechanic used to be an authorized installer for Zip Dee awnings. He told me tonight that an awning spring can kill you if you go to dissasemble it carelessly. That is good information to have that I didn't know. I had my awning let itself out from a severe cross wind not too long ago and I was lucky that it did'nt get totally ruined but instead I was able to extend it and watch as it rolled the flapping canvas back up just like it was supposed to. I was shocked that it didn't tear itself off the bus. I can easily see where I may have needed to remove it under different / less lucky circumstances and might have found this out the hard way.

Be warned.

I'm going to put this under it's own thread.

bill&jody
01-03-2007, 12:00 AM
jeff-
what're you towing? just a car? golf cart? bike? i bought a 20 ft. optima, twin 5000# axles (10k gvwr), weighs 3400 empty. our toad is only 15+ feet long, so theres lots of room up front. nice construction, all aluminum.

and nowhere near 90 large. not even 20.

Jeff Bayley
01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Billy- I'm hauling a 1966 Thunderbird in the back which is a big heavy boat of a car. I just want to get this car back to Florida. I don't want to trailer this car regularly but rather either the collectable Beetle or Porsche that I have. These cars are both fairly narrow and lightweight and I think they might even fit in a motorcycle trailer but I guess I might as well get the full width size trailer since the bus is already wide. My thoughts are leaning toward a trailer that can also be towed with a truck or SUV. I guess the towing capacity of the typical SUV is about 5,000 pounds. Do you tow your trailer with car behind anything other than your bus ? Could you ?

bill&jody
01-03-2007, 03:03 PM
depends on the car/truck. i think most pickup trucks can do 5k, and the f250 (and like) do around 12k. gotta be careful of gcwr tho. this optima as i said weighs 3400 empty. a vw bug weighs in at about, what, 200 lbs? ;-)
anyway, having a garage is really nice sometimes, esp when i can park the trailer on the pad with the bus. its wired for 30a svc, has lighting. no a/c or heat tho. mine has 10k gvwr, so 10-3.4=6600#. i opted for two 5000# axles rather than three 2750 due to the toll situation, plus it drags the wheels less in a turn. has electric brakes, so if you don't have a brake controller, you'll need to install one. its not rocket science, but you'll need to find a couple spare wires in your fore to aft wire bundle. but you may already have one.

i also opted to get the flat front rather than the V-nose. i didn't think the windage would be a factor pulling along behind a 8.5 x 14 ft wall of stainless, and the V takes up a lot more room than you might think.

we're trying to get painted this spring and we'll likely have a swirl or two added to the trailer just for S&Gs.

i would imagine you could find one on ebay, etc. for a lot less than new, altho used ones i looked at seem to have held their value.

Orren Zook
01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Say Bill & Jodie,

Instead of paying too much to get your trailer painted to match the bus, why not see if a local sign company can duplicate your graphics on vinyl decals... ans install them for you. Then if/when you decide to sell the trailer the graphics can be removed rather easily returning the trailer stock or original condition.

Jeff Bayley
01-10-2007, 06:50 PM
"Houston, The Eagle...."....., ummmm make that "....The Turkey has landed". Finally made it to the house in FL with the trailer after a blown axle and then a flat tire in Louisiana a couple of days ago. Only down for 1.5 with the flat. Rim had hair line crack in and let the air out it seems. 2,900. After a couple of break downs the stress and anticipation of the next problem begins to take the joy out of traveling.

Needless to say my vote for these VERY heavy stacker trailers is not "No" but "Hell no". Maybe a lighter weight one perhaps but these things that are 13' tall and full of stainless are just so dang heavy that you can barely get them around empty at 12k pounds nevermind a full payload. I'm here at the house and can't even back it into the driveway until I borrow a truck because the geometry with the bus attached won't work so I can't even unload it tonight. Baaa Hum Bug on the trailer.

Toy Box
01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Jeff.. Sorry to see your bad experience with the trailer. I would guess that if the tire and axle problem were on the bus, they were not caused by the trailer. We have towed cross country with a triple axle box which is 10' tall and 26' long more than a dozen times (knock on ss) so far, no problems. In the past, however, I have had a blowout at speed (no trailer) and a melted, welded tag axle bearing (no trailer). I have learned to always did I say ALWAYS, check my oil level in the hubs and the pressure in the tires. Trailer only weighs 5800 lbs.

truk4u
01-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Jeff,

Glad your back to Borington safe and sound! I think you may have opened some eyes about, "some trailers are just to big and heavy, even behind a Prevost".:rolleyes:

Kevin Erion
01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Boys, I am with Toy Box on this one. 2 trips and about 15000 miles with a 30' Stainless stacker, weight full at about 17,000lbs. No tire problems, no axle problems. I did however spend a lot of time before I started the trips to insure that we had nothing but fun on the trip. I find that if you do the work at home before you leave it is not only easier, better job and a lot less Lew Bucks.
We are staying with the extra weight to have all the kids "stuff" that one just has to have when camping.
Kevin
75' and wishing I had more, story of my life!

Jeff Bayley
01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
The axle problem and the flat were on the trailer, not the bus to confirm.

Your right about the checking the oil on the axles (20/20 talk). I was up against the whole X-Mas holiday thing when I finally got the lights working right and everyone was shutting down and I was so late leaving that I "went for it" and lived to regret it. I did regularly stop and check the hubs but it still got away from me. I THINK it needed grease but I'll never know because it's out in the New Mexico dessert somewhere with the rim. I suspect that I would find it needed grease.

Kevin spoke wisdom when he cautioned me upon my departure. I remember that he said that in the long run you don't save time by rushing beucase your not broken down. An ounce of prevention......

I'm just glad I didn't have a flat on the front steering axle of the trailer. I would hate to how that would affect the control. Yikes. The trailer manufacture recommend replacing the axles with 8k pound axles (x3) in place of the 7k pound axles the provisioned it with. Evidentley there have been a number of axle failures due to the 7k axles. He also recommended ordering the axles with disk brakes instead of drum brakes. FYI for anyone else considering a trailer or having one built, customized, etc.

After taking a breather here in FL, I have to make run up to PA to get a little VW Beetle I bought. I don't want to even use to borrow this trailer again for the job because it's too heavy. Since I'm going to take my time and find a used trailer I like, I was thinking of renting an open car hauler from Ryder, etc. I think they rent ones that get the car all the way off the ground which is what I want for this car since it's collectable, has custom paint, and I don't want to risk any rock chips on it. Any suggestions on who rents the better trailer for this ? Any one rent one big enough to put two cars because there's another one in the North East I might get if I could bring them both home together. I don't think they rent a two placer.

garyde
01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi Jeff. Thanks for taking a bullit for all of us regarding the trailer. It s all great info for anyone considering getting a trailer. Regarding picking up two auto's, if you are taking your Bus, it becomes a weight issue for your bus hitch. If you rent a Rider Truck with a trailer behind it, put one in the Truck and one in the Trailer. Gary

Jeff Bayley
01-11-2007, 12:53 AM
I'm want to tow the car(s) back behind the bus. Can't deal with renting a Ryder truck and driving it all the way from PA to FL. I drove my Spartan rolling showroom chassis from NY to FL last year and cursed every mile. I won't drive it that far again myself. The noise and the ride. Ugghh. Can't do it. The Ryder probabley not as bad but I have shell shock still. I'm looking for a replacment bus for that rolling showroom in fact so if anyone runs across a bus chassis that has tanks and gen but has a trashed interior this would be ideal for what I need since the front will be for products and fairly plain and therfore not a full blown interior needed for my purpose. Anyway, I have to go up north for a week or so of business anyway so want to pull the car(s) home with the bus. Never used a flat car hauler before. I guess Ryder is the best place. Nobody rents enclosed car haulers that I know of.

Orren Zook
01-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Jeff,

U-Haul also rents a flat, open car hauling trailer, I used one to take a car to Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. The trailer they rent uses hydraulic brakes and had a 4 wire flat electrical plug. You can rent one way or round trip and they charge by how long you have the trailer in your posession. All electrical connections are dope at the renting location. It might be prudent to check with your local dealer to see what kind of plug might be required so they don't cobble up something to work for you. It's also been snowing up here in Ohio so you might get your bug salted down hauling on an open trailer this time of the year.....

jonnie
01-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Jeff,

If it is not a space issue, your geometry is not going to change with a truck. If this is the trailer pictured earlier, backing up is just the opposite of a regular trailer. Good luck, it's confusing.

John

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Jeff, Something that you might find better suited to your needs. www.autoracingtrader.com/race_car_transporters.htm adds #694 & #814 seem to me what you need for making a mobile showroom and crew hauler. You still go in the buss. Two rigs better than the fleet you now have. http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/ http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/ JIM

Jeff Bayley
02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
In my trailer searching I came across this Craigslist posting if it can be of use to anyone.

Reply to: sale-266376441@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-01-21, 11:42PM EST

I am looking for someone responsible to tow my trailer from the Crestview (50 miles east of Pensacola) area to los Angeles.
It is a 26' enclosed car trailer (empty no car inside), has brakes, lights etc...
Can be a good opportunity for someone needing to bring a car to the west coast, free use of a brand new trailer + cash for gas
Let me know if you are interested
Thank you

Joe Cannarozzi
02-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Do I dare ask why your not pulling it yourself?

If I pull it with the bus ya gonna cover fuel:eek:

Jeff Bayley
02-19-2007, 08:38 AM
That trailer I posted is not mine. Some stranger on craigslist is looking for someone to pull the trailer. You email him at the craigslist address at the top of his posting which I cut and pasted.