PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry

Joe Camper
04-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I was wondering how many grease monkeys we have among us like me that are actually going to benifit from my chassis and drivetrain tidbits'

OR

How many of you out there have, or, would pull a hub to fix a leaky seal yourself??

OR

Replace your own brake chambers?

Seporate question

How many of you out there do normal periodic service on the chassis, on the engine and gen oil and filters yourself. Is it 1/2 of us?? More? Less?

Gil_J
04-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Joe,

I will do any maintenance that doesn't require massive tools or lifting HEAVY items. On the chassis, that rules out many maintenance activities. Even what I won't or can't do, I'd like to understand how things work and how they should be repaired.

Dany
04-05-2013, 08:26 PM
I just got threw replacing grease seal on 2001 H345 left front heavy but not real hard when I figured out antiskid had to come off before replacing seal Danny

Denny
04-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Keep it coming Joe. If I can't handle it you will get a call from me.

garyde
04-05-2013, 11:34 PM
I like to work on my Coach. Lots of easy stuff to do. I do need a lift to get myself under the coach however. Im saving up. The oil disposal is a problem so I usually have someone else do the grease and oil. But, there's a lot of things an individual can do. I have disc brakes so at some point , Ill be looking into that as well.

billbunch47
04-05-2013, 11:37 PM
I have done tag axle seal, all air bags and shocks, have not had opertunity or need yet to do drive hub seal would think it would be handful for one person but would not run away. Any hints or idears from people with dirty hands is always much appreciated so keep it up Joe. Thanks Bill

dale farley
04-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Joe,

I've enjoyed doing the mechanical things on the buses I've owned, and as others have said, even if I am not doing the work, I like to understand what needs to be done. If there is anyone who doesn't like a particular subject, they can just pass on the thread. That's what's nice about the POG, we can find something we like, and we don't have to like it all.

jetart
04-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Joe, Great stuff - thank you! I have been doing some light electrical / mechanical work on the coach but I'm not going to lift it until I can find someone local who has done it before. I want to do it the right way the first time so it's not the last time. One of my neighbors has a pit so I may bring over a case of beer and introduce myself.......