PDA

View Full Version : Hot H2o

jello_jeep
12-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, I pulled in to Lake Havasu City today, and fired everything up, including 110 water heat.

We then did what all good Americans do after driving a ways.. We took a nap.

Whilst napping I recall hearing a dripping noise, one of those things you are aware of, but doesn't really wake you all the way up.

Well, it was the shower head dripping.. Hmm

After getting up I went out to unload the Jeepster.. and noticed water dripping out of the starboard water bay. Further investigation showed it was the top hot water tank pressure relief valve. It was now releasing enough to make the pump run every 30 seconds or so.

I shut the pumps off and it subsided. I called tapped the valve a bit and turned pumps back on, its only dripping maybe every ten seconds now.

I called a plumber friend, and he said to open the pop off valve for 15 to 30 seconds and maybe dislodge any sediment that might be in the valve. I will try that when its light again tomorrow.

It almost seems that that one thermostat is not shutting down the hot water fast enough. The water inside is friggin hot, almost like the insta hot.

Any of you Marathon guys know if there is any way to adjust the temp on the electric water heat? Or have other suggestions?? :confused:

Thanks.

garyde
12-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Sometimes on first trips, there is still air in the system . The pressure relief valve is doing its job sensing too much internal pressure. Have you opened up all the faucets including shower on the hot water side and run them for several minutes to purge any air in the system? If after that, if you still have a leaky valve, and you have opened it also for a couple of minutes, you should replace it. Gary

Lee Bornstein
12-23-2006, 01:38 AM
Warren:
My guess as to why your water is so hot is not related to electric element but Engine Heat. Most coaches have a heat exchanger in the water heater to produce hot water from engine heat.

Engine runs at 180-200 degrees and there's no temp control to limit temperature of the heat exchange process that's why it's so hot after driving to Havasu from CA. Usually, electric heater elements have thermostat to limit water temp in the range of 140-160 degrees.

If you're parked for a few days and running electric heat element water temp will drop to a more comfortable level. If not, you've got a thermostat problem.

Lee
97 Liberty Classic - 40'

truk4u
12-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Jeep,
Mine just did the same thing and I believe Lee nailed it. The only time this has happened was after sitting awhile and getting the water up to engine temp from driving. It will probably quit after setting with the electric or webasco making your hot water. ;)

jello_jeep
12-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Hmm, that is good to know. Do you have to have your 12V water heat on to circulate the hot water from the engine? Or is it circulated by some other means?

I neglected to say, the bus is stored about 1/4 mile from the site. So I fired off the engine, gen, and webasto just to limber things up, and let it run for five minutes or so.. then made the grueling 1/4 journey to the park.

I would doubt that I was even close to normal temp on the heat exchanger.:confused: :confused:

Jon Wehrenberg
12-23-2006, 11:37 AM
The pressure relief valves also tend to get tired with age. I replaced two on our previous coach in about 15 years. The excess pressure from the high engione heat should be handled by the expansion tank. If your water system does not have an expansion tank that may contribute to the problem.

Petervs
12-23-2006, 12:54 PM
My Marathon has had a dripping safety relief valve for a while too, on just one of the 2 water heaters. I replaced the valve with no change in the symptoms. I agree that the engine coolant ( which is circulated by the engine water pump ) causes the water heater to get a little too hot and the safety valve vents off the excess. In my case it vents through a pipe to the ground just below the water bay. But the thing drips when plugged in to shore power too, so I thought I would adjust the temp limit. Only there is no adjustment to be found on the unit, by calling Marathon tech support, or by reading the manual. So, I just turn the electric heater off when parked.

I would love to have a better answer if someone finds it. And no, I will not buy a Liberty.

jello_jeep
12-23-2006, 02:49 PM
It is not leaking as bad today, so maybe it will quit after a bit (just hopeful thinking) LOL..

I am thinking to pick up a spare @ Lowes to have in the war box..

I don't have any expansion tank that I know of.. I am not familiar with them.

bill&jody
12-23-2006, 04:16 PM
mine has a little screw thingy with a pointer on it to some embossed numbers that range from something like 100 to 160. its under a cover on the side. mine is a raritan (marine version), but your version could be similar.

oh, and not to be differtnt, my relief valve drips too. :-(

wmm

truk4u
12-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Jeep,
You should have an expansion tank, plumbing bay, starboard side above the water pumps and plumbing.

Panel Removed

Panel in Place

jello_jeep
12-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I will pull that cover and check it out....

BTW Tom, I found the gen mate box, and set the dips to the highest voltage, powered down shore power and turned on a bunch of stuff.

It did power the generator up indeed, so I reckon I am lucky in that regard.

There is another box next to it (screwed to the ceiling of the #2 bay, port side) that says HWH corporation on it.. Any idea what lurks in there ??

Toy Box
12-23-2006, 10:33 PM
hwh is for a slide unit or a leveling system.

jello_jeep
12-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, I have never seen a slide in these parts, so it must be the level automatic leveling system...

Thanks..

truk4u
12-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Jeep,
Good for you on the Genmate, that's great. I don't have the auto level, just the Prevost level low, so like Toy Box said, the HWH will be for the auto level. I may need some help in my continuing Genmate saga, are you going to POG3?I'm hopefull it's a simple relay in the Gen Box and not the circuit board.

jello_jeep
12-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Tom, I am trying my best to get to POGIII, and as an added incentive I paid for it up front so the cheapskate in me will make something happen.

My trouble is that weekend is the only one in the whole year we already have plans for, being the wife's sister's wedding. Mango is already dummying up a fake winners letter for the Texas state lotto that says we both have to go to TX in person to pick it up :)

The best plan will probably find a way to deliver the wife to Kerryville international and fly her home and I will go the way of our settler/ancestors and go home alone in my covered "wagon" :)

As for your genmate, I am sure you checked this but I will mention it anyway. Did you notice there is a wall wart type transformer plugged into an outlet on the upper side of teh bay? That is the supply for the Gen Mate. It would bear checking output voltage to assure the recepticle is hot, and the output of the xfrmr to see if it is still alive. That would be an easy fix for sure! ;)

truk4u
12-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Jeep,
That receptacle tells the Genmate the generator is running and is used for the timer portion of the circuit board so it knows when to shut off the gen. If you check it without the gen running, that plug is dead and only comes alive when the gen is making power. Thanks for the tip anyway...

Just fly Mama in for pog and then head home with your wagon!;)

jello_jeep
12-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Somehow I knew telling you about the plug, was about as smart as trying to give Justin Timerlake pointers on picking up chicks ;) But I had to say it! LOL:D