PDA

View Full Version : KEEPING THE MOISTURE OUT OF YOUR AIR SYSTEM

dale farley
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Ideally, we have no moisture in the air system, but realistically that's not the case. Moisture is inherent to air systems, and the runnning of the auxillary compressor makes it more apparent. In addition to routinely(every 24 months) replacing the Air Dryer, one relatively easy thing any of us can do is periodically (every 12 months) drain the water from the air tanks.

The one thing that many (I speak from experience) don't think about when draining the water from the air tanks, is that all the air should be drained first. If you open the drain valve with air in the tanks, the air will just blast through the water and you will think you have drained the water and almost nothing came out. Dump all the the air first, then the water will run out the drain when you open the valves. As always, don't get under the bus without it being properly supported.

gmcbuffalo
04-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks Dale this I didn't know. Have just been blasting before this.

Joe Camper
04-08-2013, 07:58 AM
To add to this ALL you owners from like 99 on have additional football sized tanks plumbed into the lines for the suspension air bags. They all have bleaders.

If you service your air dryer correctly and follow Dales advice here I would suggest you not crack the bleaders on the air bag tanks. Ive never seen water in them and u run the risk of ruining the seal by cracking a valve that never gets used and actually make an air leak trying to prevent moisture build up where there usually isint any.

That said be very sure you do not cause this situation with the bleader on the wet tank either cause thats common too. After draining and closing and represurizing spray the bleader with soapy water after the service to be sure it aint bubblin