PDA

View Full Version : alcoa label jiz

bill&jody
12-22-2006, 08:17 PM
ok, this is on busted knuckles cuz mine are about worn out at this point.

some rocket scientist pulled one of the alcoa labels off my shiney rt ft wheel, resulting in a big blotch of left over stickyjiz where the label used to be. it seems impervious to all but wheel replacement or sandpaper.

i've tried

naptha
toluene
xylene
acetone
napthalene
mother's aluminum polish
other special polishes
wd40
diesel oil
epithets

so, anybody got any ideas on how to remove this stuff?

wmm

lewpopp
12-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Bill, we didn't know you were a rocket scientist. Why did you remove it?

Jon's answer will be for you to get a new wheel. Figures

Lew

kmuller
12-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Bill and Jody - we like 3M Adhesive Remover. You may need to coat and let set/soak a few times.

garyde
12-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I recently took mine off as well. I removed the Label slowly and carefully with a razor blade and then used Chrome/Aluminum Turtle Polish/cleaner.

bill&jody
12-22-2006, 09:46 PM
well, i didn't. some other !@#$%^&* did.

i'll try the 3m stuff. resolution pends...

BrianE
12-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Bill,
Try covering the glue with a small rag and keep the rag saturated with laquer thinner for 10 minutes or so. Then rub it off without letting the rag dry. Xylene and Acetone may be evaporating before they can soften the glue. Toulene is probably not powerful enough. Good luck

BrianE
94Liberty XL

Joe Cannarozzi
12-23-2006, 07:24 AM
3-m products always work well for me. There is also a product called Goo-Gone that we used to remove glue from HUGE decals off the front and rear caps. For the folks who need to polish rims that have been very neglected fine sandpaper is actually quite a time saver. It removes All the dirt prior to polishing thus shortning the project significantly. Ive done alluminum tanks that had been whitened by alluminum britner this way.

Wheres the resident expert on the subject, Harry?

bill&jody
12-23-2006, 03:44 PM
yep, if its really bad, i start with 400 wet/dry and work up to 2500 wet/dry in about 4 steps. hit it with some special polish i got from metalgloss.com (got mine at myrtle beach bike week - it turns the bottom of beer/coke cans into mirrors) and you need shades, else retina damage.

i'll try all of the above - thanks to all for their advice.
wmm

Jerry Winchester
12-24-2006, 12:12 AM
I have used both GooBGone and 3M Adhesive remover. Both work well.