View Full Version : Prevost Remanufactured Meritor Calipers

Jamie Bradford
03-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Prevost Now Offers :

Remanufactured Meritor Calipers

[/COLOR]

Joe Camper
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Be sure you have the corrisponding 2 dollar rubber dampners for each caliper without them it may bang around and do unnessessary wear on the slide pin bushings . They fall out or possibly less than adiquate shops do not see their importance or I could see how some shops may make this mistake just doesnt get put back.

If you put them in right they are pretty much "in there" so I wonder about hubs where the piece is gone and Ive seen my share.

2 bucks pretty important

If you have these calipers on front and tag axles next time the rims are off be sure the calipers on all these hubs all have these little rascles.

bussphart
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow, I wish they had rebuilt Knorr Calipers....I just had to replace one on one drive axle and all they had was "new" and they ain't cheap (but it was a "real joy" to replace it)!!

MB

Joe Camper
03-19-2013, 08:37 PM
The calipers you have on the drives on your XLII are not the calipers pictured and noted in this thread.

Your brakes are knor-bremmer or something close to that spelling.
On those brake calipers the weak link to watch for is the dust boot for the lower slide pin. Often it cracks and when it does those slide pins are doomed.

Every time you have the bus serviced you should block to wheels release the brakes and have the guy lubing grab each of the calpiers from below and see if they can be jiggled. If not the lower slides are probably beginning to stick. The Upper slide pins are completly different they are exposed to the eliments and they generally do not create issues.

If any of your calipers can not be jiggled from underneeth with brakes released or if you can visually see the dust boot cracked or damaged on the lower slide pins get the slide pin kits soon. Thet are like 45bucks.

Good idea to have a kit in your spares Ive seen many cracked lower dust boots.

Joe Camper
03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Another thing about the knorr caliper rebuild kits there are 2 different lube packets in the kit. 1 is specificly for the top the other for the bottom.

I grease is green 1 is white I always forget and waste time verifying here is the ticket.

If you look at the volume indicated on the packets you will find that 1 is slightly more than the other the bigger amount goes on the bigger slide the bottom one. Hope that helps.

bussphart
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Joe, are you talking about the rubber boots on the two pistons? On the new caliper I just installed, the lower pin had a metal cup to seal it rather than rubber.
I just replaced the caliper and the 2 supplied grease packets for the pins/bushings were the same.
Maybe I don't understand which rubber boots you're referring to????

Joe Camper
03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
You are an XLV i looked depending on your year your calipers are or could be a 3rd flavor.

Do the photos in the original post in the thread resemble your calipers or do they look obviously different.

bussphart
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
No, mine are Knorr and are completly different on my '01 XLVII
from the Meritor.
Thanks..

Joe Camper
03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
The 01XLII is the chassis with the 2 different slide pins and the questionable lower dust boots

Joe Camper
04-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Here are the small 2 dollar rubber dampners that need to be between the calipers and their mounting bracket.

Joe Camper
04-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Here is where they belong between the caliper and its bracket at the top slide pin. If you know what your feeling for you can reach over the tire without removing it from the bus and feel if it is there.

Joe Camper
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM

Here is another shot possibly better than the previous. In the photo its not installed just sitting where it needs to be placed. You insert it push the caliper up and squeese it to line up the holes to push in the top slide pin in.

If yours are missing I assure you that the slide pin bushings are being prematurly wore out or damaged.