PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored laminate has bubbles and needs replacing in '04 Prevost Vantare

MWSHAWJR
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
I have several walls and doors with mirrored laminate that needs replacing. Can anyone tell me where to get replacements, how to remove, and how to reinstall? Thanks, MikeS

dale farley
02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I had one section of mine replaced a few years ago. I was going to do it myself, but I couldn't find a reasonable price. I searched the internet, and by the time I included delivery, I came out about the same as having someone do it for me. I used a guy at my church who owns a local glass shop. The material is very pricy any where you get it. It is also very easy to crack if you cut any holes in it. Make sure you don't use Liquid Nails to hold it. It will separate the mirror from the plastic. I would recommend getting some bids from your local glass shops or a converter if there is one near.

Gil_J
02-16-2013, 03:23 PM
What a great opportunity to get rid of the mirrors! My coach, Dale's old coach, has both glass and acrylic mirrors. Here's a site that will give you some idea of what adhesive to use and costs for different thicknesses. You'll have to call them for pricing on anything longer than 48". This isn't the only site out there, but just one to give you some more information. As for taking the cracked stuff down, you have at least two choices. Break it up as you remove it using a stiff putty knike or use it for a solid base and put the thinest stuff you can find over it.

dale farley
02-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Gil, If you do that , you won't see nearly as much of yourself. Might cause withdrawal pains.

MWSHAWJR
02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks Gil, great ideas... didn't get web address for site you mentioned.

Alek&Lucia
02-16-2013, 10:07 PM
.....Here's a site that will give you some idea of what adhesive to use and costs for different thicknesses. You'll have to call them for pricing on anything longer than 48"....

Where is the site ?

Gil_J
02-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Opps, http://acrylicmirror.net/

dale farley
02-17-2013, 06:54 AM
I wonder if they carry the full 4' X 8' sheets? That's what I was pricing a few years ago and they were over $100 each plus shipping at that time. Maybe there's been a big price drop!

AmeriStar
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
We had the same problem with the plastic mirror in our coach. Being the cheapskate that I am, I purchased woodgrain contact paper and simply applied it over the fogged plastic mirror. Many styles of contactpaper are available to match your woodwork or laminates.

jack14r
02-17-2013, 04:14 PM
I am a mirror manufacturer and I don't understand the reason anyone would install plastic mirrors in a coach,2.2 MM mirror only weighs about 1.25 pounds per square foot and can be vinyl backed if there are safety issues.The plastic mirrors cost much more than glass mirrors have less reflectivity and will scratch easily,and as others have pointed out will blister over time.

Gil_J
02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Jack,

My coach has both. The plexi panels are in places I can't imagine having glass, like ceiling panels hung below the roof airs. I guess I can see the value of each. You are certainly correct on the risk of scratching the plexi panels.

dale farley
02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Gil, When you get a chance, you might want to look at Jim Keller's ceiling panels below the ACs. His are attached with velcro instead of the screws and are much easier to remove and replace when cleaning the AC filters. Of course, as innovative as you are, you may have already revised the configuration. Each time I removed them, I thought I would make a change but never let it become a priority.

Gil_J
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Dale,

My coach had velcro and screws. I removed the screws and put studs in with acorn nuts. Now they are perfectly aligned when replaced and the acorn nuts look good.